Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

High speed usb driver

by jmatzick / February 9, 2005 11:32 PM PST

When transferring pictures from my camera (Fuji FinePix S7000) to my computer, I get a pop-up saying, pictures can be transferred faster using a high speed usb driver. Is this something availible for free on the internet or something that must be purchased? I have done a search but couldn't find anything. Thanks, John
WinXPpro sp2 IE6

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: High speed usb driver
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: High speed usb driver
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Purchased
by Yew / February 10, 2005 12:15 AM PST
In reply to: High speed usb driver

It's referring to USB 2.0 ports, which have a max speed of about 480Mbps, whereas your USB 1.1 ports have a max speed of 11Mbps. Hopefully you don't have USB 1.0 ports, which have a max speed of about 1Mbps.

Anyway, it's a hardware only upgrade which requires either a new motherboard with a USB 2.0 controller on it, or that you buy an add-in PCI card with a USB 2.0 controller on it.

Personally, unless you're taking uber high resolution photos and are storing them in an uncompressed format, it's probably not worth the money and hassle. The 11Mbps of USB 1.1 should probably be plenty, since Windows doesn't tend to use persistent connections when copying files. Which means the only time you'd see an increase with USB 2.0, is if you were moving large files. I'd just ignore the little popup. Think of it like a popup ad on a site.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Thanks yewanchors for the good explanation
by jmatzick / February 10, 2005 2:24 AM PST
In reply to: Purchased
Collapse -
Get the faster USB
by Sch29 / February 10, 2005 4:53 PM PST

I disliked how slow things were going for me so I went down to WalMart and got a USB 2.0 card with 4 ports on it for $20-30. It was easy to install and now my printer and scanner really fly.

Collapse -
High speed usb driver
by auskara / February 10, 2005 7:32 PM PST

You need to purchase a USB 2 card and insert it in your computer $30.00 aus

Collapse -
High speed usb
by computernut / February 11, 2005 8:10 PM PST

It is possible that you already have usb 2.0 ports on your computer but the 2.0 driver is not installed.After doing several clean installs of XP Pro and then upgrading to SP-2 I found that SP-2 did not install my USB 2.0 ports with the correct driver even though it was included in SP-2.However, the solution was simple.Just go to Control Panel and click on System,click the Hardware tab then Device manager and navigate to USB controllers.If you dont see "Standard Enhanced PCI to USB contoller" listed then you do not have USB 2.0 installed on your system.If your computer is under 2 or 3 years old you may have the ports on your computer but you simply need to reinstall the driver.If your computer is older than that then you need to purchase a PCI add in card for USB 2.0.

Collapse -
Thanks
by jmatzick / February 12, 2005 12:29 AM PST
In reply to: High speed usb

Looks like I will need to purchase the card. John

Collapse -
likely u are using usb 1.1 (on older pc)?
by jimboh / February 11, 2005 10:25 PM PST

>>using a high speed usb driver.
I am goingto assume the phrase is "using a high speed usb PORT." That's the normal error...

First - you MAY already have USB 2.0!... Some pc's have usb2.0 on the front ports and usb 1.1 on the back of the pc (or reverse), try switching it to another port and see if it still "complains".

If you look for a deal, you can find an drop-in adaptec usb2.0 card to add to the pc for as cheap as $10. If you do the connectivity a lot it's worth it. My MP3 player copies files much quicker w/ this card. This is assuming your camera supports usb2.0 (chk owners manual.)

If it doesn't and you really want the speed, then the usb2.0 card and a external card reader that supports the xdcard format would fix it.

Collapse -
Thanks! You have killed two birds with one shot!
by monbollo / February 12, 2005 3:30 AM PST

Actually, this was the exact kind of discussion I had looking forward to read!

I purchased an ENCORE ENLWI-USB1-NT/A USB Adapter for Internet wireless connection, and every time that I plug it into one of the USB ports of my PC (after installation of its drivers), I get a message from XP stating that this is a USB 2.0 High-Speed device being connected to a USB 1.1 port. and that it will be functioning at a lower data rate than intended.

The technical guys at PCCHIPS have told me that there is nothing that can be done, since this motherboard (M810D) have limitations for any USB upgrade.

Apart from this message (which doesn't show up if I leave the USB Wireless adaptor inserted at all times), everything works pretty well.

Now that I know that a separate USB card can be the solution, I want to thank the kind people who threw some light on this subject.

Greetings from Mexico!

Ramon

Collapse -
Usb 2.0 driver doesnt install
by inpsydout / April 16, 2007 7:57 AM PDT

I bought a usb 2.0 pci card and connected it to my computer, but the installation didnt work the way it had to. I tried unistalling the drivers and installing them again, but the problem is i cant get my computer to install the drivers on the cd that my usb card came with. Actually i aint REALLY sure if theyre not being installed from the cd, but the ports show up as "Controlador de host universal USB VIA Rev 5 o superior", which should be showing up as "controlador de host mejorado", which is, "enhanced host controller", in spanish. The card has 5 ports, and the 5 ports show as that, but there was an extra item in the device manager which DID show as an enhanced controller. The ports worked as 2.0, and the item showed up until after a few times of restarting my computer. When I connect my PSP, I get the "could work faster if connected to a usb 2.0 port" message. Someone please help.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.