TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Hiding cable box and passing remote signal through wall.

by ChiJeff / June 3, 2008 3:23 PM PDT

I would like to put my cable box in the linen closet behind my bedroom wall where I will mount my TV. What can I do to get the signal from the remote to the cable box through the wall?

I understand there is a wire I can attach to my cable box sensor and put through the wall. Anybody know what this wire is called or where I can get it? Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Hiding cable box and passing remote signal through wall.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Hiding cable box and passing remote signal through wall.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It has been a long time since I look at a cable box, but ...
by ahtoi / June 3, 2008 4:52 PM PDT

on my sat. box, vcr, dvd, tv, etc., none has such connection. However you might put a little window where the sensor will be located.

Collapse -
I.R. Repeaters
by gretzkyv99 / June 4, 2008 1:18 AM PDT

If your cable box has the connection its basically a wire with a sensor on the end that shoots your IR signal to the box via the cable. You could also buy a RF Remote which works the same say.

Collapse -
Yea, radio frequency remote...
by RustyDallas / June 4, 2008 7:49 AM PDT
In reply to: I.R. Repeaters

If you get either a Harmony 890 Pro or Monster AVL-300, you'll solve the problem. As they are both z wave compatible, you'll also have a total home controller. Monsters are more expensive in stores but the same price or lower from internet venders.


Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions


Free trip to the Grand Prix

Don't miss your chance to win a trip to the Formula 1 Grand Prix in Monaco for you and a plus-one.