General discussion

"HideMyAss defends role in LulzSec hack arrest"

by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 26, 2011 11:01 AM PDT
http://forums.cnet.com/7726-6132_102-5208656.html?tag=posts;msg5208656

"I warned you" - Tim.
Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: "HideMyAss defends role in LulzSec hack arrest"
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: "HideMyAss defends role in LulzSec hack arrest"
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) who is Tim ?
by grimgraphix / September 26, 2011 1:59 PM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) From Monty Python
by Steven Haninger / September 26, 2011 6:45 PM PDT
In reply to: who is Tim ?
Collapse -
(NT) "it's only a rabbit" Tim ? Ahhhh ^_^
by grimgraphix / September 27, 2011 4:37 AM PDT
In reply to: From Monty Python
Collapse -
Were they right or wrong?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / September 26, 2011 10:16 PM PDT

I know where I stand with hackers so the actions of this Proxy and VPN provider do not trouble me at all.

Mark

Collapse -
Why I noted this event.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 27, 2011 2:04 AM PDT

Folk have asked me for years how to hide on the internet. My thoughts have always been you can't because of how much logging is going on in the background. The only reason I know a little here is because a decade ago I was involved in code for a router. Today, routers are all over but in those commercial, enterprise or ISP products are hooks to emit almost any detail you want.

And this without getting into details what our governments are collecting.
bob

Collapse -
is this one of those grey areas ?
by grimgraphix / September 27, 2011 4:36 AM PDT

Is this the kind of data where it is not legal for the government to monitor first hand without a specific warrant... but it is legal for them to get the data from a commercial entity through subpoena ?

Collapse -
Why I quoted Tim above.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 27, 2011 4:47 AM PDT

This rabbit hole (discussion) is pretty deep and has something fluffy and looks harmless enough with "nasty, big, pointy teeth" at the entry way.

OK. You would think what you said is true but in a twist of logic they collect this autonomously for use later.

If you do a little research you find CALEA, traffic access points and more mean that there is little that is not collected. And then we have the above where they will sell you out.
Bob

Collapse -
Sell you out?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / September 27, 2011 4:50 AM PDT

You make it sound as if such providers should not be subject to the law and/or hackers should be immune. Happy

Mark

Collapse -
Let me spell it out.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 27, 2011 4:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Sell you out?

Folk have panned (flamed?) me when I write they are not protected by such things. At no time should my words be taken as if I support immunity for one's actions.

This is for those folk that claim using a VPN or something like above will let you hide.

Bob

Collapse -
actually, I have been trying to educate myself about this
by grimgraphix / September 27, 2011 5:14 AM PDT

I am trying to be mindful of site security since I have several prospective web jobs where I might be setting up shopping carts on a few sites in the near future. Security leads to data collection... data collection leads to tracking where your customers are coming from... etc. etc. It is fascinating stuff.

Collapse -
(NT) I hope they password protect their wi fi ^_^
by grimgraphix / September 27, 2011 6:06 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.