Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Hide My IP address

by pdietze / January 5, 2007 7:54 AM PST

My friend has a statcounter on his blog and can see who visits it. I'd like to occassionally check out his blog, without having him know about it.

Is there a way to hide my IP address and location? Or make it look like the visitor (me) is coming from another place?

Thanks -

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Hide My IP address
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Hide My IP address
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) Google hide IP address.
by Coryphaeus / January 5, 2007 8:38 AM PST
In reply to: Hide My IP address
Collapse -
Hide
by pdietze / January 5, 2007 8:55 AM PST

Thank you for your response.

I did google HIDE IP ADDRESS -- and couldn't understand which one to use.

If anyone has any suggestions: I'm using a Mac, and Firefox. And I'd like to download a free software.
I tried a few, and they were all MS-DOS .exe files and I didn't know how to open them on my MacBook. Maybe I'm just a real newbie with this Mac... But I would love someone to point me in the right direction for a software suitable for my needs.

Thanks again!

Collapse -
Re: surfing anonymously
by Kees Bakker / January 6, 2007 8:41 PM PST
In reply to: Hide
Collapse -
thanx for infn.
by 89shadow / August 18, 2007 6:10 AM PDT

thanx for infn. very helpful!!!!

Collapse -
And of course you can ...
by Kees Bakker / January 7, 2007 3:11 AM PST
In reply to: Hide

visit his blog from your work or school or friend or family. That's rather anonymous already.

Kees

Collapse -
or
by 007angelo / August 21, 2007 8:34 AM PDT

or just renew your ip adress ( this shold work for mac just right clik the moneter looking icon and hit repair)

Collapse -
yes.
by welrdelr / August 22, 2007 8:46 AM PDT

Use the remote desktop protocol with another person.

Collapse -
Hiding you I.P Address
by waytoomuchcoffee / May 24, 2008 12:16 AM PDT

hi pdietze,
hiding your IP address is not so hard nowadays, you can use one of those anonymous proxy websites like above but a better way is to use the Tor system. Very easy to install and use. It also has a one click on/off button for Firefox (I hope you are using Firefox??). Tor uses whats called an Onion Ring system, it routes packets all over the world to different servers so there is now way to be traced. Just visit the Tor website: http://www.torproject.org/ and download and install the bundle which includes vidalia. Once installed just visit http://whatismyipaddress.ricmedia.com/ to check your IP number, it should be different everytime you visit that page.

Cheers and hope this helps
waytoomuchcoffee

Collapse -
9 months later?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 24, 2008 4:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Hiding you I.P Address

Watch those posting dates.

Collapse -
Anonymity
by Porch-a-Geese / May 24, 2008 6:57 AM PDT

How can you hide your IP adress?
If you use a proxy server, have you considered whether or not it is transparent? If it is transparent, most sites won't be able to search for you. Your email will give away your IP.
Anonymous surfing through Tor: Don't bet on it. The servers are checked and the transfer rate is slow. One server and a few hundred nodes can't push much traffic.

So what do you do?
If you do not want your IP address to be seen, here is a simple method.

Have three other friends and yourself install any distribution of Linux or a flover of *BSD. Enable desktop sharing on each. Create a user for each of your friends and be sure they create one for you. Remote login/ssh to one friends computer. Remote login to a second. Remote login to the third. Start the graphical environment. Start surfing. Your IP is hidden. Theirs, though, is not. This is known as tunneling.

Collapse -
Look up
by abelleba / May 30, 2008 3:25 PM PDT

I don't know if this was already mentioned so I apologize if it has and you can delete this reply. If you need to look up your IP address their are a ton of tools out there. Example:
<a href="http://www.tools.mywikiinfo.com/whatismyip.php">http://www.tools.mywikiinfo.com/whatismyip.php</a>

There are other useful ones that can be found on google..com or yahoo.com

Regards,

Collapse -
To hide or change your ip address...
by team88 / June 19, 2008 7:32 AM PDT

Yes, you need to use a proxy server to re-route your Internet traffic. The problem with the public ones is that they are often not anonymous (they still report your IP). You can get a program from http://www.iprivacytools.com (I think the program is free, and they only charge for server access, or something like that).

Collapse -
suggestion......
by Usernameniner / June 20, 2008 2:02 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.