Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Hidden Partition - How to Find and Delete it

by Gatta / January 29, 2007 7:17 PM PST

Hidden Partition - How to Find and Delete it
================================

A got a new HP d290 model computer, which came with Free DOS O/S (that is without the Windows XP
operating system.

It has a Samsung brand 80 GB HD. However on partitioning and formating this HD (using Win 98 / SE,
FDISK.Exe file), the total space available is only 78,109,888 bytes (split in to 3 parts).

On another computer, made by a different company and with almost similar configuration, I have a Maxtor
brand 80 GB HD and on partitioning and formatting, it had 80, 009, 888 bytes available (that is 1.9 GB more)
This HD also has 3 partitions

It seems the HP's Samsung HD has a hidden partition. I tried to find it with FDSIK.EXE and also with
Partition Magic (version 8.2) and Partition Manager (version 5.5), but was unsuccessful.

Is there any other Partition related software, which can show a hidden partition and also be able
to delete the same (without damaging the C~ partition). ?

Any help or pointers on this subject will be much appreciated

Thanks

Frank Gatta

Jan 30, 2007

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Hidden Partition - How to Find and Delete it
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Hidden Partition - How to Find and Delete it
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
With many computers, the hidden partition
by glb613 / January 29, 2007 9:29 PM PST

includes the recovery utility that allows you to reinstall the operating system, drivers and factory installed software. I'd advise leaving it alone.

Collapse -
Even "worse"
by drat_ninny / January 29, 2007 10:54 PM PST

I don't know if this is still being done, but for many years Compaq systems had the BIOS configuration program stored on a hidden partition instead of in a silicon chip. I made the mistake of deleting that once, and never was able to get back into the BIOS configuration.

Collapse -
Nope
by william551 / January 30, 2007 12:15 PM PST
In reply to: Even "worse"

I re-installed everything on my dad's computer and he has a new compaq. Nothing happened to the bios.

Collapse -
If FDISK can't 'see' the partition...
by Edward ODaniel / January 30, 2007 10:22 AM PST
Collapse -
Just FYI,
by whizkid454 / January 30, 2007 10:30 AM PST

78,109,888 bytes is 78.1 MB not GB. 1 million bytes is a MB and 1 billion bytes is a GB. It is also very normal for drives not to have the entire advertised capacity. It is always less, usually around 5-8% of the advertised space if no OS is installed. It is probably 13-18% with Win XP installed. I would assume Win 98 takes up a lot less room than does XP. Ex) 250GB drive will give you about 235GB of actual storage space, that's even without an OS isntalled on it. My primary 80GB hard drive w/ Win XP had about 65GB available.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.