Windows XP w/SP3 IE 7
Compaq Presario SR1550NX
2.40 gigahertz AMD Athlon 64
Memory - 1.37GB of Ram
128 kilobyte primary memory cache
512 kilobyte secondary memory cache
200GB hard drive
-----------------
I have been seeing some files that show up on my pc -- but only when uploading .jpgs/.gifs to photo storage sites. They are in MY DOCUMENTS folder and are titled as shown below:
Folder.jpg
Albumart_small.jpg

Albumart_{876538db-14fa-44ad-baa0-2efc6c7f18e5}_large.jpg
Albumart_{876538db-14fa-44ad-baa0-2efc6c7f18e5}_small.jpg

Albumart_{1d244f94-9bf1-4ac7-8dd5-1e406f113a6d}_large.jpg
Albumart_{1d244f94-9bf1-4ac7-8dd5-1e406f113a6d}_small.jpg

I can see the image on the file and it's music pictures of El Divo sining group. When I do a search for the file name, nothing comes up -- even if doing a search for just part of the name nets nothing. I do have the folders options set to show ALL files and hidden files as well.

Does anyone have any idea how I can get rid of these things? I did go into the registry and found an entry called ALBU and one with part of the 1d244f94 number.

I'd sure like to unload them if possible.

Thanks for any help.

Julea

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Hidden or ghost files ? ? ?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Hidden or ghost files ? ? ?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Julia, you will normally find those ...
by Edward ODaniel / September 26, 2009 6:45 AM PDT

in the same folder you downloaded the MP3 files into.

Of course you need to have your Windows Explorer folders view set to show hidden files and file extensions.

Alternatively you might consider making use of the good old command line.

Open a command prompt by clicking the Start button then Run then typing CMD and either clicking OK or pressing the enter key.

Now type the following commands to ensure you get all of them -
cd \ then press the enter/return key (this takes you to the root of the C drive/partition)
now type del albumart*.jpg /s then press the enter/return key (this will delete all jpg files that begin with albumart in the root of the partition as well as in all sub-directories)

to check type dir albumart*.jpg /s and press the enter/return key (this will list all files beginning with albumart in the root and all sub-directories and should list none - if it does list some it would likely indicate that the hidden attribute is set and the attrib command would be uses to unhide them)
)

Collapse -
Thanks Ed
by zeebell / September 26, 2009 7:30 AM PDT

Will check this out and see what happens. I did have the show hidden files already ticked but didn't help. I see Kees has a response re: that. I think I "almost" did what he suggests, but didnt.

Will be back with end result later.

Thanks again,

Julea

Collapse -
Re: albumart
by Kees Bakker / September 26, 2009 6:50 AM PDT

That are files with attributes 'hidden' and 'system' that (with me) are created if I use Windows Mediaplayer to rip a CD. They won't harm, but if you like you can delete them like any other file in Windows Explorer.

Showing hidden files doesn't help in this case. There's another option in the same tab of folder options, called "Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)". Uncheck that to see them.
More about that in: http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/win_fcab_show_file_extensions.mspx?mfr=true

They are kind of "superhidden": http://www.theeldergeek.com/show_hidden_operating_system_files.htm

Kees

Collapse -
Thanks Kees for responding
by zeebell / September 26, 2009 7:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: albumart

You know, I almost did set that so the os files would show but I didn't follow through. Will do so and see if I can find those boogers!

Will be back later with results.

Thanks,

Julea

Collapse -
Thanks for the help guys!
by zeebell / September 26, 2009 9:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: albumart

Kees -- I did uncheck and when finished went back and returned the checkmark for the OS files to be hidden. When I removed it and went into my documents, there were those files starring me in the face (LOL). There were 2 other files and I can't remember if they should remain there or not.

There was a .thumbs.db and a desktop.ini files --- should those be left alone?

Thanks.

Julea

Collapse -
Re: thumbs.db, desktop.ini
by Kees Bakker / September 26, 2009 9:17 PM PDT

Thumbs.db is used to store the thumbnails of the pictures, to show them in Explorer if you set the folder view to thumbnails. Doesn't make much sense to keep it if you just deleted all pictures from the folder.

desktop.ini contains some information on the folder. In the folder for a ripped CD it says (with me) - viewed with Notepad:
[.ShellClassInfo]
FolderType=MusicAlbum
MusicBuyUrl=http://redir.metaservices.microsoft.com/redir/buynow/?providerName=AMGClassical & Microsoft&albumID=5DC94C56-60C1-4226-AC6D-A67260C81DB4&a_id=%20&album=Art%20of%20the%20Guitar%20[Hybrid%20SACD]&artistID=3725BC17-A10C-49DD-995D-92DFBEC9BA83&p_id=%20&artist=David%20Russell&locale=413&geoid=b0&version=11.0.5721.5230&userlocale=413

So it's a MusicAlbum folder and WMP was kind enough to note that I could buy the music I ripped with Microsoft also. That's one of the mysterious things of WMP: you play a CD you ripped and the biggest button on the screen is "buy this music".

In My Documents this same file says:
[DeleteOnCopy]
Owner=Kees
Personalized=5
PersonalizedName=Mijn documenten [That's Dutch for My Documents]

Practically every folder has a hidden system file desktop.ini with some information that might be useful. I've learned to not delete it and not edit it.

Kees

Collapse -
Actually -- this is pretty funny (or not funny)
by zeebell / September 26, 2009 11:19 PM PDT

Ya know --- I never ripped any music -- a gf sent me the El Divo file ---- evidently it had been ripped, unbeknownst to me (LOLOL). I enjoyed but have sense deleted it all except for those stupid pictures that kept popping up up at various times. I now know what she's been doing in her spare time!

I appreciate both yours and Ed's responses to my questions. Cnet is the best -- but I knew that anyway! I've only used cnet for about 15 years. This is where I learned how to compute.

Have a great day.

Julea

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.