PC Applications forum

Hidden Files Removal

by not dead yet / May 21, 2011 5:27 AM PDT

It drives me crazy when scanning or backing-up and an item appears:

C:\Recycler\NProtect\ . . . ( deleted files )

I had twice used the Norton Removal Tool, with no success, trying to delete these files forever. They have followed me from PC to PC.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Hidden Files Removal
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Hidden Files Removal
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Just checking
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 21, 2011 5:29 AM PDT
In reply to: Hidden Files Removal

Do you have any Norton Security installed?

I'm guessing that C:\Recycler\NProtect\ . . . is something to do with Norton.

All Answers

Collapse -
Have you tried the other old fashioned delete?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 21, 2011 5:39 AM PDT

The (no install) boot an UBUNTU CD, click around and delete this, then reboot fix?

Collapse -
Just a thought though
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 21, 2011 5:44 AM PDT
Collapse -
That's the Norton Protected Recycle Bin.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / May 21, 2011 5:44 AM PDT

One of the features of Systemworks. Like the Windows recycle bin it contains deleted files.

The Norton Removal tool only removes the Norton programs, not these files. As long as you have Systemworks installed you should be able to delete them via that program.

If you uninstalled that program, things you can try:
1. Delete from Windows Explorer
2. Delete from the command prompt (you might use attrib command to change hidden or system or read-only attributes)
3. Take ownership in Safe Mode, then repeat 1 and 2.
4. Use the cacls utility (OS dependent details) to give you even more access rights (that's the same tool to grant you access to the System Volume Information folder)
5. Delete from the recovery console (that's XP) or the equivalent in your OS
6. Delete from a Linux Live CD.

Collapse -
Norton SW Hidden Recycler
by not dead yet / May 22, 2011 4:06 AM PDT

You the MAN/WOMAN! Thank you, thank you. Since I had both Norton Internet Security & NSW I thought Norton Removal Tool would clean everything.

Spent a couple hours dithering around with ( XP ) Admin tools, no luck, and considered whether to reinstall NSW -- but original registry entries long gone.

Windows Explorer had "show hidden folders" checked, which I thought was adequate, BUT tried Folder Options\view: Unchecked "hide protected files" and OPEN SESAME! There the folder was, ripe for deleting (after a minor change: Properties\uncheck "read only"), etc. One more of life's little snags removed! Then child's play to delete remaining Recycle folders from 2010.

Thank you, thank you, all good people who helped.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.