Computer Help forum

Question

'Hidden' Files lost on transfer, where did they go?

by DuncanMacDougall / February 2, 2013 4:47 AM PST

So I purchased a new laptop and wanted to transfer my data from my old one using a WD external drive. After getting all of my data onto my new computer from my old one, I did a factory reset of the old one.

This is when I realized that the 'hidden' files and folders didn't transfer from my old computer, or at least I can't find them in the directory that they were in before. I wasn't sure if they got put in a different directory or something because they were hidden, or if they didn't even transfer in the first place.

So I ran multiple recovery programs on my old computer in attempt to find these important hidden folders, but with no luck.

Is there any way that I can find these folders and get them back? Any help would be appreciated. (And yes, I do have "show hidden files and folders" checked in the options)

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 'Hidden' Files lost on transfer, where did they go?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 'Hidden' Files lost on transfer, where did they go?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
What version of Windows is on the old PC?
by wpgwpg / February 2, 2013 4:51 AM PST

What version of Windows is on the old PC? My dog broke my crystal ball. Mischief

Collapse -
windows 7
by DuncanMacDougall / February 2, 2013 5:32 AM PST

Windows 7. Same with the new one. Both Windows 7 home premium 64bit

Collapse -
You might be able to use "Previous versions"
by wpgwpg / February 2, 2013 5:58 AM PST
In reply to: windows 7

Depending on what kind of reset you did, you might be able to right-click the folder(s) that held the deleted folders, click Properties, and click the "Previous Versions" tab. It's worth a try. However if you did a restore to factory settings, that likely reformatted your hard drive. This is why you always need to back a computer up before doing this kind of thing. 1 TB hard drives only cost about $70 these days, and they sure are great insurance against this kind of problem.

Good luck.

Collapse -
by DuncanMacDougall / February 2, 2013 10:01 AM PST

That's the thing, that is exactly what I did. I did a full system backup onto my external 1tb drive, and it seems to have backed everything up except for the hidden folders. I was unaware of this when it happened. I guess I just expected it to have backed everything up. I tried what you said, but no luck. Previous versions went back to the point just after formatting.

However I had done some research and found that when you format a drive, it doesn't actually delete all of the files, it just lets your computer know that it can overwrite those files. Not sure if this is actually true or not.

Thanks

Collapse -
That IS true
by wpgwpg / February 2, 2013 10:48 AM PST
In reply to: ..

Quick formatting just resets the first track on your hard drive. Even full formatting just rewrites the home addresses on each track. Of course when the restore to factory settings comes along, it overwrites a lot of what was there.

What did you use to back your system up? I've been using Norton Ghost without the 1st problem for 9 years, and have started using Easeus Todo Backup Free with Windows 8 because there's not a Windows 8 compatible version of Ghost yet. Both of these I know work very well. I've tested Memeo as well and it seems to work well. Bob Proffitt uses Clonezilla which I believe is similar to Ghost. If you used the Windows 7 backup program, that might explain your situation, I'm sure not a fan of it. Are you SURE those hidden folders aren't in the backup? Sure seems strange, but then computers and my wife have both been known to do strange things on occasion. Wink

Good luck.

Collapse -
Didn't use a backup program
by DuncanMacDougall / February 3, 2013 4:21 AM PST
In reply to: That IS true

When I first backed up my old laptop, I didn't use a program. I basically just cloned my hard drive by dragging my libraries over. I guess doing this doesn't move hidden folders. But now I'm using Easus todo backup in the future for my backups. I guess there is no way to get those folders/files back then?

Thanks

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,224 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,453 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,090 discussions
icon
Security 30,722 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,937 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,295 discussions
icon
Phones 16,252 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,684 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,215 discussions

CNET EDITORS' CHOICE

Roku Streaming Stick 2016

Roku has the most apps, the simplest interface and the best search, making it CNET's favorite way to stream Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, HBO and all the rest.