Camcorders forum

Question

Hi8 camcorder to PC capturing quality problem

by 44mlb / March 6, 2013 4:14 AM PST

Hi,

<font size="3"><font face="Calibri">I am trying to transfer my Hi8 tapes from my Hitachi
H38E camcorder via a Magix Video Saver USB connection and software. <?xml:namespace prefix =" o" ns =" "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office"" /><o:p></o:p></font></font>
<font size="3" face="Times New Roman">
</font><font size="3" face="Calibri">They download fine but every minute or so the picture gets
blue/orange coloured interference and then a sepia tone and then back to
normal. A small clip here on YouTube will explain it better.
</font><a href="http://youtu.be/ZxBLjC3doaA"><font color="#0000ff" size="3" face="Calibri">http://youtu.be/ZxBLjC3doaA</font></a>
<font size="3"><font face="Calibri">

Any ideas on how to fix this?<o:p></o:p></font></font>
</font><font size="3"><font face="Calibri">Thanks. </font></font>
</font>

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Hi8 camcorder to PC capturing quality problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Hi8 camcorder to PC capturing quality problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Here is the question again!.
by 44mlb / March 6, 2013 4:21 AM PST

Sorry!

Hopefully this is more readable.

I am trying to transfer my Hi8 tapes from my Hitachi camcorder via a Magix Video Saver USB connection and software.

They download fine but every minute or so the picture gets blue/orange coloured interference and then a sepia tone and then back to normal. A small clip here on YouTube will explain it better.
http://youtu.be/ZxBLjC3doaA

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks.

Collapse -
Looks like that old tracking issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 6, 2013 5:02 AM PST

I've had to do very odd things to correct for jitter and tracking NTSC/PAL issues. In one case I put it through a VCR to get a good track.

However if your Hitachi has FIREWIRE such as the model at http://www.videomaker.com/article/8043 then we want to use that.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks Bob :-)
by 44mlb / March 6, 2013 5:14 AM PST

Unfortunately the camcorder only has RCA and S-Video conections Sad

Clive.

Collapse -
Just a tip.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 6, 2013 5:19 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks Bob :-)

Supply model numbers so you get the best advice.

In this case I'd be trying other recorders. The tracking issue is well discussed and I wrote about using a VCR to drag the video out.
Bob

Collapse -
Reply to Bob
by 44mlb / March 6, 2013 5:38 AM PST
In reply to: Just a tip.

I did write the model number in the first post (Hitachi H38E) but then I missed it when I did the re write Sad

I can try and get hold of another Hi8 camcorder but that might not be too easy these days. So you don't think buying a different capture device would make any difference, like a "pinnacle dazzle video creator"?

Thanks,

Clive.

Collapse -
Thanks. It was in the first post.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 6, 2013 5:47 AM PST
In reply to: Reply to Bob

But with all that HTML it wasn't easy to find. And looking for the manual didn't find a thing.

Looks like you need to try the old VCR method.
Bob

Collapse -
Hi Bob :-) :-) :-)
by 44mlb / March 6, 2013 6:35 AM PST

I have just rigged up the camcorder to my HDD/DVD recorder (Pioneer DVR-550H) and success a perfectly clear picture so far.

Thanks for your help Bob. I should have tried here earlier and saved myself two weeks of bad recordings!

Regards,

Clive.

Collapse -
Sounds good.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 6, 2013 6:44 AM PST
In reply to: Hi Bob :-) :-) :-)

The HDD/DVD recorder I have is the Philips one. It's the same idea in the long run. That is "try other digitizers and things."

If yours is like mine you can dub the video to DVD, close the session and then rip it off the Video DVD.
Bob

Collapse -
It is good :-)
by 44mlb / March 6, 2013 7:04 AM PST
In reply to: Sounds good.

I'm sending it directly though the HDD/DVD recorder to my PC and then I will edit it before making the DVD and save a MPEG2 copy for future editing.

Clive.

Collapse -
S-video and composite
by mjd420nova / March 6, 2013 6:59 AM PST

S-video was the first HD or extended TV video medium. That would be the preferable way to capture the higher resolution. Stuck between the composite-component video and audio, if was the fist step to HD. I tried many capture cards and external USB devices, some work very well but not on all units. Interupts and scan rates can make flicker free operation easy but mixed results abound from driver interference and updates that overwrite files and send things off to left field. When installing those devices I like to make them the first hardware install so it's software will find the default interupts and not be forced to chose from leftovers. Care must be taken in any further hardware or USB drivers installations that they may interfere, a double check after a good insatll and again after each subsequent one will keep things working. Haupage makes the best cards and SIIG the smallest USB device. HD cards and USB units were in the close to $200. range. Many factors come into play with media frame rates and formats compared to capture parameters and display configurations on a viewing device.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.