Cameras forum

Resolved Question

Hi-speed video playback G9 Powershot

by Wellsy555 / July 29, 2012 12:27 PM PDT

I recently just started getting this problem. When shooting a movie, all goes well and normal while shooting. The problem comes in when I playback the is in super hi speed motion. I must have selected a setting by mistake, but I can't correct it.
Any ideas?

Wellsy555 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Hi-speed video playback G9 Powershot
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Hi-speed video playback G9 Powershot
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
re: Hi-speed video playback G9 Powershot
by MarkatNite / July 29, 2012 1:52 PM PDT

Just to be clear, the problem occurs when you playback the movie on the camera itself? If so, sorry, no idea what would cause that. But I wanted to make sure since you didn't specify and there are a bunch of reasons this could happen when playing back on other devices.

Collapse -
by Wellsy555 / July 29, 2012 2:12 PM PDT

When replaying back on the camera itself, it is fast motion. When I transferred to my computer, it still playsback I believe the problem lies within the camera.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by Wellsy555

Collapse -
Problem fixed...
by Wellsy555 / August 4, 2012 12:05 AM PDT

For those wondering what happened with my dilemma. I ended up phoning Canon Canada, they knew immediately what the problem was...On the back of the G9 Powershot, there is a control dial which allows you more in depth settings, for example in this case...shooting a movie. Some how I had (or someone else did), inadvertently moved the control dial to a time lapse mode. in this mode you can record up to 8 hrs and it will be compressed to 8 min.
This feature is great for something like shooting a bud flowering or the midnight sun. One thing it does not do very well is shooting your bud driving down the hwy...besides, it will not sound record in this setting.
G9 Powershot by Canon, 6 years and a great compact camera.

So settings it was. Thanks for some of the suggestions.

Collapse -
Thanks Wellsy
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / August 4, 2012 1:16 AM PDT
In reply to: Problem fixed...

Good feedback.
I was not aware of that control dial on the back.

Collapse -
Canon G9
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / July 29, 2012 1:22 PM PDT

If you feel that you have inadvertently set something, I suggest you do a "Reset All".
This will reset the camera to factory settings.
Go to page 68 in the User Manual.

Something to think about:
If you have recently been using a different memory card, a slow memory card can cause speed problems on play-back.
If the card can not write fast enough, you will suffer dropped frames.
If it is severe enough, the play-back will appear to be fast or jumpy.

It is recommended that you use a speed Class 6 (or faster) memory card for video.

Collapse -
Still having a problem
by Wellsy555 / July 29, 2012 1:41 PM PDT
In reply to: Canon G9

Thanks for the answer and suggestions, but I had already did the "reset all" function and the memory card is the one that came with the camera. I format the card every time I transfer pics and videos. I just reset it again and it is still playing back in super hi speed motion.

Collapse -
Canon G9
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / July 30, 2012 12:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Still having a problem

Since it plays back at fast speed from the computer too, that means the problem occurred when the writing occurred.

It is possible that there is a failure inside the camera, but the problem can still be a bad memory card.

Before sending the camera for repair, you should eliminate the possibility of a bad memory card.

I suggest you buy or borrow a (class 6 speed) memory card and try it before declaring the camera defective.

You really need a larger capacity memory card anyway.
The one that comes with that camera is only 32MB.
32MB is not sufficient for video recording.

Collapse -
Memory card solution...
by Wellsy555 / July 30, 2012 11:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Canon G9

I never thought of it being a bad memory card. I was mistaken with the OEM memory card, it is a 2GB card. I will take the camera in and see if the dealer has another card I could try.
Thanks for your help!

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.