Cameras forum

General discussion

Hi all, new here. Thoughts on Kodak Easyshare z812 IS?

by salomaster / October 14, 2007 4:26 AM PDT

I'm going to get a digital camera soon.

For some reason, cnet doesn't have a review for this new Kodak yet. Does it usually take this long for a camera to be reviewed? Anyways, I figured I'd ask the forum-mongers. What do you guys think about the new Kodak superzoom relative to the other superzooms like Canon S5 IS? I've heard the Kodak isn't built as well, but given its features for its price, it beats the Canon, right? Well, it's got 720 HD video, but I read a complaint about the camera picking up the sound of the zoom lense motor moving.

Any other thoughts/opinions/suggestions?

And who should I buy from?

Thanks in advance for all your feedback!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Hi all, new here. Thoughts on Kodak Easyshare z812 IS?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Hi all, new here. Thoughts on Kodak Easyshare z812 IS?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Kodak Z812
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / October 14, 2007 9:37 AM PDT

The Z812 has only been available for a few weeks.

Much too early for a review.
A review can not even start until the reviewer get a production model.

I could not find any sample photos.

I notice that Amazon.com has them in stock.
You may find a few owner reviews there.

Collapse -
Thanks
by salomaster / October 14, 2007 4:44 PM PDT
In reply to: Kodak Z812

Thank you very much for clearing that up, snapshot.

Collapse -
Ditto--need a review!!
by natejohnstone / October 15, 2007 6:57 AM PDT

I too am very interested in this camera as an HD camcorder alternative.

For a sub-$300 to do 720p video would be awesome! I don't expect it to be on par with the $1000+ HD camcorders out there, but common, I don't have that much mullah--I can pick this puppy up for like $250 this Christmas!

So I need some reviews of the movie mode. If this movie mode is good, Kodak could really put some pressure on the camcorder market.

Collapse -
z812
by salomaster / October 15, 2007 12:02 PM PDT
In reply to: Ditto--need a review!!

Agreed! I mean, even if you just used the HD video for YouTube, it would make for some built-in cinematic effects just because it's widescreen, despite the overkill of its resolution haha.

It just seems like a feature-packed camera for its price.

The only two things I'm really curious about are the motor sound of the zoom being picked up by the mic during HD recording and also the quality of the camera's construction.

I'm a newbie to the camera world, but based on what I've read, I think this EasyShare can compete with the S5 IS.

And also, how does the Schneider-Kreuznach Variogon lens compare to the Carl Zeiss lens?

Collapse -
The Z812 IS has terrible Still and Video Sound recording
by bartsystems / October 16, 2007 3:12 AM PDT

The Kodak Z812 IS has and engineering or technical problem of over modulation, distortion, and lack of AGC Automatic Gain Control limiting loud or live music, or stereo playing in the background during recording still image add on sound or during HD or Video recording. My $30 audio cassette recorder has better AGC and sound recording level control that this Kodak model. The sound recording level cannot be adjusted, and any other than a normal soft speaking voice behind the camera results in unusable, distorted, over modulated audio not fit for consumer use.

Kodak customer service, technical support, says it?s normal to have distortion with live music, when a lesser canon still digital camera records audio and maintains AGC audio just fine in the same environment. My cassette and MP3 voice recorder do a better job at recording audio than this Kodak model Z812 IS does.

I have sent sample audio and video files to Kodak and they have not responded as to replacement, repair, or 30 day money back guarantee. I have challenged them, and they have charged me for two of the same models pending receipt and evaluation.

Still, Video, and optical performance and features of this Z812 IS the best I have seen, and one of the first with HD Video and Stills in the HD wide screen 16 x 9 format. Optical Image stabilization works excellent, and the optical zoom is awesome.

G Bart
Sacramento, CA

Collapse -
z812
by salomaster / October 16, 2007 3:38 PM PDT

Sorry to hear about your bad experience with Kodak tech support. In that case, if I buy this camera, I may get a Best Buy warranty... maybe it'll be better (anecdotally, their warranty did not help my iPod).

Thanks for your input, G Bart. So the sound's not good... do you think you might have gotten two bad cameras?

And maybe you could make a home-made pop filter or put a small piece of foam on the mic haha.

I agree with you on the video and optical performance, though -- those things, I was able to witness firsthand at the store. It was the sound that was difficult to evaluate from its built-in speakers. Despite that, from what I could hear, it picked up Best Buy's "people-noise," and it seemed to be okay. Maybe I can ask the employees for a PCM adapter to the A/V on the camera so I can test it out on-site with some headphones or something.

That's kind of a bummer, though. This was a camera I wanted to use to make sweet live videos. At least it's an HD concert for under $300.

Collapse -
Z8612 is has sound issues too!
by A Liebl / September 2, 2008 7:38 AM PDT
In reply to: z812

I am now sending back my second z8612 is to Kodak for "repair" under warranty. It has the exact same problem that you are describing for the Z812. Have you had any success getting a refund for the camera or a replacement model that DOESN'T have sound issues? Should i even bother sending this one in? Will they ever offer a refund or other offer? I really love the way the camera performs otherwise, it just makes me ill to have to get rid of it. Any advice?
Thanks a lot!
-Amy Liebl

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech Tip

Stuck without Internet and want to watch movies?

CNET shows you how to download movies and TV shows onto your device using Amazon Prime so you'll always be entertained.