Speakeasy

Alert

Here's another gun story for you

by JP Bill / February 7, 2013 4:55 AM PST
Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Here's another gun story for you
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Here's another gun story for you
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
And your suggested solution is?
by Steven Haninger / February 7, 2013 5:29 AM PST

Some would think limiting the number of rounds per clip would do wonderful things.

Collapse -
Solution?
by JP Bill / February 7, 2013 5:34 AM PST

There is no solution.

Also, people can't say....let ex-military and ex-police guard schools.

Collapse -
How can you justify
by TONI H / February 7, 2013 6:46 PM PST
In reply to: Solution?

condemning all ex-military and ex-police because of one crazy who clearly started all of this out of a revenge reason?.....his fiance's father (also a cop) represented him at a hearing and lost the case, he shot at two more cops killing one and the other is on life support, and his agenda is against the LAPD itself.

You say there is no solution..........so sit down and shut up if you can't think of one (say, more concern over mental health) and stop trying to stir up the 'audience' with stupid comments.

Collapse -
Hello
by TONI H / February 8, 2013 4:29 AM PST

Routh.......who had NEVER been in any battle situations was suffering from "PTSD" ??? In any event, since the HOSPITAL itself diagnosed him and the POLICE were witnesses to his threats to kill himself, WHY WAS HE OUT ON THE STREETS IN THE FIRST PLACE???????????

Say what you will.....MOST military have NO issues that cause these types of situations, and our mental health 'authorities' are in serious need of help themselves if they are doing NOTHING about helping these men and women.

If the Ft. Hood killer can be classified by our own pres and a 'work related' killer instead of a terrorist, you can't blame a few isolated instances of ex police or ex military for gun related killings and then punish the entire country for them.

Collapse -
OK...Routh was perfectly normal, sure he was.
by JP Bill / February 8, 2013 5:05 AM PST
In reply to: Hello
WHY WAS HE OUT ON THE STREETS IN THE FIRST PLACE???????????

Because the "solution" (more concern over mental health) you suggest DOESN'T WORK, AND it will never be a solution....He went for help they patted him on the head and send him packing.

One day a person can be perfectly fine mentally OR reasonably normal, throwing the odd temper tantrum...and then something can set them off...like Obama getting Re-Elected and they can go off the deep end. PTED...Post Traumatic Election Depression?

Since you have NO Comment about I stand to be corrected and I know you'll provide a link to a post you've made in the past where you've recommended ex-military and ex-police guarding schools AND saying they should only be allowed to guard AFTER a mental health check. I'll take it you didn't mention "mental health checks" in your previous posts.
Collapse -
What link do you think I should post?
by TONI H / February 8, 2013 5:17 AM PST

The head of the NRA suggested it, and I suggested it as reasonable....there is no link.

And the mental health people at the VA where he was diagnosed....was he on medication that he refused to take? Did the police send him to a mental health facility for observation (NYC has Bellview Hospital, I think)?

Who do you think is at fault for him being on the streets when he was clearly disturbed and a danger to at the very least himself? Was he solely responsible for his actions that day at the gun range? I hardly think so......a loose cannon waiting to explode and is ignored is like a found mine or bomb from WWII........it still goes off when disturbed.

I personally don't understand WHY he was diagnosed with PTSD when he had no battle experience in his military past......maybe he witnessed something horrible in his youth that never has come out publicly. It doesn't matter.......the mental health facility and the police both failed him and two people are dead because of it. And he's gone berserk in jail now, too.

Collapse -
Good question. My take- as a layman- is that it has
by drpruner / February 8, 2013 6:12 AM PST

1) capability for more than the 9 or so rounds in a standard weapon
2) semi-auto capability, which pistols also have, but with
3) the stock and long barrel of a rifle for maximizing both speed of fire and accuracy.
And I'm told it's possible to refit a used, formerly full-auto, rifle back to full auto. (Illegal, of course.)
Few decades ago the LAPD was seriously outgunned in a standoff by just a couple of guys with these. I believe it was the incident that led to establishment of SWAT teams. AR-15s trump .38 revolvers anytime.
Would be interesting to research, anyway.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.