Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Here's an example of how the media keeps racism alive

by Steven Haninger / April 30, 2012 2:00 AM PDT
Rodney King beating 20th anniversary

So now we get to expose an entire new generation to the event without their even knowing the full details. He got 3.8 million dollars in a lawsuit but continued to be anything but a model citizen after the dust settled. So here he's made to look like a saint and a ground breaker for justice.

IMO, here was our chance to let this die, move on and improve ourselves. But, No!, the media has to resurrect the old story, add it's own new twists and serve it again. I suppose they think that those who weren't around or were too young to experience a painful time should not be left out of that misery. Just what good does this do? None!, IMO. Sad
Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Here's an example of how the media keeps racism alive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Here's an example of how the media keeps racism alive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No one ever said that he was a model citizen
by Diana Forum moderator / April 30, 2012 2:31 AM PDT

They just said he didn't deserve what happened any more than the people that got hurt in the riots deserved it.

I notice that they're saying it's mostly hispanic now and a lot different and the police department is a lot different. So the riots caused change. It's just a shame that it took that for people to do what is right.

Collapse -
(NT) Well said
by Willy / April 30, 2012 3:16 AM PDT
Collapse -
Maybe you missed my point.
by Steven Haninger / April 30, 2012 6:24 AM PDT

It wasn't about his police record before or after the incident. It was about his screen appearance in the interview. Those who don't know the whole story will only see him as a nice guy and a victim of police brutality motivated by racial hate. Those people are the ones who were not born or old enough to know more of what this was about. Maybe Rodney King has cleaned up his act by now. We can only hope. As for the riots causing change, I don't think so. They set a precedent for what we might expect in the future. Rioting makes nothing better unless you want to consider the dead as martyrs. I don't. They were victims of hysteria and not injustice. Many were just trying to protect what they worked for. Their murders were not warranted and we cannot live in freedom if we fear death by angry mobs.

Collapse -
Rodney King, penniless in LA again.
by James Denison / April 30, 2012 7:12 AM PDT

Rodney King is 47 now, jobless and virtually broke. Gone is the settlement money he got after suing the city for violating his civil rights. All $3.8 million of it. Huge chunks went to the lawyers, he says, some to family members, some he simply wasted.

The settlement did provide a down payment on his home in Rialto. He says he cobbles together mortgage payments. Every so often he gets hired to pour concrete at a construction site.
Collapse -
I see it having two faces
by James Denison / April 30, 2012 2:31 PM PDT

Those who started the riot and those who then participated in it after it had begun. The other face was the police failure to deal with the riot and to more quickly bring it to an end. Wouldn't it have been better if the 50+ people killed had instead all be rioters? Riots should ALWAYS be met with overwhelming force.

Collapse -
some of them deserved it.
by James Denison / April 30, 2012 7:08 AM PDT

Some of those killed were looters. One I recall was in a burned out building hiding under a desk with a pocket full of stolen cash. I guess the smoke got'em.

Collapse -
Those who choose to ignore history....
by Josh K / April 30, 2012 4:39 AM PDT

You don't think it's important to remember such a pivotal event, and the lessons we can and did learn from it?

Collapse -
That doesn't mean it needs to be commemorated
by Steven Haninger / April 30, 2012 6:32 AM PDT

and held up as a lesson in anything but teaching about fear of reprisal. Do you think the country is better off for having experience this and that we should have a video remembrance periodically? I don't. We learn and move on. We don't need to beat ourselves over the heads anymore about mistakes that have been corrected or are in the process of it.

Collapse -
I have to respectfully disagree
by Josh K / April 30, 2012 6:36 AM PDT

We watch films about the Holocaust, about 9/11, etc. and don't suspect the filmmakers of trying to stir up the hatred that caused those events. I do think the LAPD is better for having gone through this, as Diana suggested. It also serves as a valuable reminder of the madness of mob violence, no matter what ignited it.

Collapse -
what do you think
by James Denison / April 30, 2012 7:41 AM PDT

should have been done to stop the mob violence?

Collapse -
I have no idea....
by Josh K / April 30, 2012 8:40 AM PDT
In reply to: what do you think

.....beyond what was done. I wouldn't second-guess the response to the LA riots, not being trained or schooled in such situations. I do know that sometimes you have to just stand back and let it fizzle on its own, as confrontation can make things worse rather than better, especially when the police are the objects of the anger.

Collapse -
Well, what we learned is that stopping the mob
by Steven Haninger / April 30, 2012 9:16 AM PDT
In reply to: what do you think

would have required that the police involved be found guilty and be punished. I would wonder what the pressure would have been like on attorneys and judges and how it would have affected real justice in future cases where police needed use force to subdue someone. I wonder if it would affect a policeman as far as being willing to subdue a dangerous suspect for fear he would end up in jail instead of the perp. I couldn't help but notice that the majority of Rodney King's later arrests were either not prosecuted or he was not convicted. Coincidence?...maybe but not likely.

Collapse -
The authorities should have anticipated the possibility
by James Denison / April 30, 2012 2:34 PM PDT

They should have already had the streets full of police and National Guard nearby and on standby for immediate deployment. They KNEW it would explode if the police were exonerated. I think the police were actually as surprised by the verdict as the rioters.

Collapse -
So you think it's ok to play and reply
by Steven Haninger / April 30, 2012 8:04 AM PDT

the amateur video of the police baton beating? Do you think that, by itself, serves a purpose? What should a person think who only sees that bystander video and doesn't know what lead up to it or the aftermath? That, Josh, is what the media does. I don't think that Holocaust films are justification. Though you might cringe, I think those as well should work they way into the far background ASAP. Ignorance of them isn't going to hurt anyone or bring about anger. Viewing them just might.

Collapse -
What led up to it is irrelevant
by Josh K / April 30, 2012 8:37 AM PDT

That's the point. It does serve a purpose. It serves as a "don't let this happen to you" lesson for police departments all over the country.

Not cringing, just once again disagreeing. I'm not saying people should watch them all day long but it's important to preserve and see those images, especially now that most of the people in them have passed on.

Collapse -
this is the second (?) post where you claim...
by grimgraphix / April 30, 2012 8:00 AM PDT

... that discussion of racism, keeps racism alive.

This reminds me of of the conservative idea that if we don't teach our kids about sex and just teach them to ignore it, then they won't have sex.

Human nature is worthy of discussion. In fact, it needs to be discussed. I don't care if it is the physical side of the human animal or the ugly side of our psyche. Ignoring it does not allow us to grow above our baser instincts.

Collapse -
Well...if nothing else,
by Steven Haninger / April 30, 2012 9:21 AM PDT

it's sometimes good to know when one does or does not have an audience. Happy

Collapse -
do you want an audience...
by grimgraphix / April 30, 2012 9:39 AM PDT

... or do you want a discussion?

You marked it as a 'General discussion' but perhaps it would have been more appropriate to label it as a 'rant'?

Collapse -
Grim...I read your post but when I got to
by Steven Haninger / April 30, 2012 10:16 AM PDT

the comment that it reminded you of "the conservative idea..." it was time to back away. I really can't bring myself to respond to such comments or engage in that type of conversation. I find it to be a destroyer of good dialogue rather than a worthy addition to it. You're perfectly free to say as you wish, however, and you've indicated that my OP might be more appropriately labeled as a "rant". So that's your feeling. My smiley wasn't a ranting smiley. It's one of disappointment and why it's there. It's OK with me if you see differently but if you want to criticize not just my thinking but how I label a topic of discussion please understand my lack of desire to answer your opening question. I don't see it to serve a purpose.

Collapse -
Steve, I'm not gonna bicker with you.
by grimgraphix / April 30, 2012 10:58 AM PDT

... and I'm not buying the 'aggrieved' act. Your 'audience' post had nothing to do with the OP that you yourself, started.

And this is how you do a disappointed emoticon without coming off as a sarcastic individual.

Collapse -
(NT) All I can say is you sure seem to be hung up on racisim
by EZRIDER714 / May 1, 2012 2:46 AM PDT
Collapse -
Not really. The issue of racism is secondary

My primary issue is with our media who seem to insist on either instigating or perpetuating social concerns that are of high emotion. Allegations of racism is high on their priority list. I think of them as somewhat like plate spinners. You can't let one such issue drop or it's lost forever. Happy

Collapse -
Well, you have those 24 hours news channels
by Diana Forum moderator / May 2, 2012 6:55 AM PDT

Got to fill them up with something.

Collapse -
by James Denison / April 30, 2012 2:35 PM PDT

the teaching of history may also doom us to repeat it.

Collapse -
And maybe that's what some in our media wanted to happen
by Steven Haninger / April 30, 2012 8:14 PM PDT
In reply to: Unfortunately

These articles are the ones that get me...and there are plenty more.

Trayvon Martin case reminds of Rodney King

Perhaps just my cynicism but I can't help be wonder if some in the media were hoping for this to happen but all they got was a Walgreens ransack. They had to be disappointed after covering so many marches and only coming up with random vandalism.

There does not seem to be a more abused freedom than our First Amendment protection of the press. The recognition of their disservice is nothing new as evidenced by this.

"Newpaper editors are men who separate the wheat from the chaff, and then print the chaff."

Adlai E. Stevenson Jr.

Collapse -
Speaking of Trayvon Martin, at the same time....
by James Denison / May 1, 2012 12:23 AM PDT

...there was another shooting that is very much like the one in Sanford, but this one was in Reading, Pa. The situation was handled much the same in the shooter not being charged, but notice the parents didn't try to make it racist, and the other perp involved has apologized. While we may be concentrated on the Sanford shooting and all the show that developed around it, there still is some sensible actions going on elsewhere concerning self defense shootings.

65 yr old man attacked on bike trail.

Fox news on the event.

Picture of beautiful area where it happened.

Obituary for one of the teens involved in the attack.
Saying he "went home to be with the Lord" is stretching it a lot I'd think. No doubt he met Him, but I doubt muggers are needed in Heaven. Notice his "family" group. 3 Brothers with 2 different last names,
6 Sisters with 5 different last names

10 kids total through 5-7 parental combinations? Maybe they aren't all the mothers but taken in from others who couldn't raise them?

Parents Reaction.

2nd teen involved who was shot in the neck but lived, apologizes for the attack.

Student from attacker's school mostly supported self defense right of the older man.

This is the way things should have gone in Sanford. This happened at the same time, within days of the Sanford shooting.

Collapse -
RE:that is very much like the one in Sanford,
by JP Bill / May 1, 2012 12:26 AM PDT
A 65-year-old Reading man who was riding his bicycle was justified in shooting two teens - one fatally - who tried to rob him on a Schuylkill River trail

very much alike?

PLEASE explain...What are the similarities?
Collapse -
Oh, I know! I know!
by Josh K / May 1, 2012 12:37 AM PDT

There aren't any!!! It was a trick question. Wink

Collapse -
striking similarities
by James Denison / May 1, 2012 1:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Oh, I know! I know!

teens away from usual home area
both teens not attending school
fellow students opinions expressed on popular social media
black parents who lost a child
cross race crime, black on white
intended victim armed
neither shooter charged at the time
both shooters injured
both shootings within days of each other
both shooters cooperated with police

one attack involved more than one teen
one victim 35-40 years older than the other
police didn't release name of one shooter
one shooting had 2 witnesses of the entire event

Collapse -
I knew "black" would be in there somewhere
by JP Bill / May 1, 2012 1:25 AM PDT
In reply to: striking similarities

Did you hear about the 5 white guys that were plotting to blow up a bridge in Ohio?

Here's my comparison...WHY they aren't similar

Differences.....The MAIN one...and it's a biggie.

The guy was riding a bike and 3 people attacked him

A guy was killed with a bullet.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.