Audio & Video Software

Question

HELP! Wma vs LAME mp3 via Exact Audio Copy

by beasmark / February 13, 2012 9:34 AM PST

Need to rip more than 100 cd's to a car's
jukebox(20gb) via an sd card and want to do it right the first time. Fidelity is priority but file size should be workable. I have searched the web on the topic and there is no clear concensus between the file options- wma and mp3, although wma seems to be more efficient. Hard to hear the differences as jukebox allows only one version of each album. Does using LAME for mp3 compression resolve the issue and what bit-rate is ideal (192?)?
Also, any major advantage to ripping to subfolders vs the root directory of the sd card?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HELP! Wma vs LAME mp3 via Exact Audio Copy
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HELP! Wma vs LAME mp3 via Exact Audio Copy
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
the root directory of the sd card?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 13, 2012 10:22 AM PST

Good way to learn that this directory can have only a few hundred entries. I feel this is a good way to learn this lesson.

As to the others, the question has come up from time to time and the answer always seems to be to try one CD you like and know well and try it all 3 ways then pick the one you like.
Bob

Collapse -
3 ways?
by beasmark / February 13, 2012 12:21 PM PST

What is the third way? wma,LAME mp3 and ?

Collapse -
One I use is called CDEX.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 14, 2012 3:20 AM PST
In reply to: 3 ways?

I've also used iTunes.

Collapse -
And what I never use is WMA, WMV, etc.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 15, 2012 8:12 AM PST

Burned too many times.

Collapse -
Go mp3
by Anewbike / August 6, 2012 5:07 AM PDT

Wma might be more efficient, but you're going to run into problems for the rest of your life trying to play those files in other places. It's going to take a really long time to rip these, you. Ought as well do it in a format that you can play everywhere, mp3.

Collapse -
Answer
Mp3 192 or above
by Ed Mead Forum moderator / February 13, 2012 7:24 PM PST

should sound fine, depending on how much room you have. Lame is good. If and when I need a mp3, I go with 320, but I also mainly use lossless flac, wv or ape.

Collapse -
HELP! Wma vs LAME mp3 via Exact Audio Copy
by beasmark / February 14, 2012 11:50 PM PST
In reply to: Mp3 192 or above

Looks like I will have to try different versions. Car jukebox only allows one version for each track so will try on sd card. Exact Audio Copy/LAME seems to max out at 192 for vbr and higher for cbr. Will 192 vbr suffice for mp3?
Can try 192 wma, 192 vbr mp3 and.......?

Collapse -
I'm sure EAC goes higher then
by Ed Mead Forum moderator / February 15, 2012 7:26 AM PST
Collapse -
Oh, sorry for not going into
by Ed Mead Forum moderator / February 15, 2012 7:35 AM PST

wma, but I don't use WMDRM. I still use WMP 9 when I have to.

Collapse -
Thanks Ed
by beasmark / February 15, 2012 9:01 AM PST

Hydrogen Audio guide for EAC seems to be most current. It's in the links section at EAC. What's puzzling
is the following in the LAME section of H A: "The rule of thumb when considering encoding options: at a given bitrate, VBR is higher quality than ABR, which is higher quality than CBR (VBR > ABR > CBR in terms of quality). The exception to this is when you choose the highest possible CBR bitrate, which is 320 kbps (-b 320 = --alt-preset insane), but this produces the largest filesizes for doubtful audible benefit"
Doesn't seem logical if talking about quality.

Collapse -
If you need to watch file size, then vbr is what you want
by Ed Mead Forum moderator / February 15, 2012 10:25 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks Ed

for quality. I have not used mp3 in a long time, but the answer is vbr should give the best quality at a smaller file size, given your player doesn't have problems playing vbr.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.