Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Help with Zone Alarm

by photobug41 / May 25, 2007 11:11 AM PDT

We bought Zone Alarm Internet Security suite 2007--I'm not sure what version it is and don't know how to find it. Norton Internet Security was working well and is easy to use, BUT it did not deal well with email. It put mail from people in my address book in the spam folder and spam in my inbox. Verizon had already blocked most of the spam and did it well. I just installed Zone Alarm on 3 computers and it has been nothing but trouble! It slows the computers a lot, it blocks all kinds of things I want and rejects mail I want (including eBay stuff that I need) and I have no clue what the security messages mean and what they are about. We are users, but not experts and this program is NOT easy to set up and use as CNET reviews say it is. We are ready to toss it and just get an anti-virus program, use the Windows firewall and Spy Sweeper which works well. Am I being too hasty? I don't have time to deal with all the things ZA brings up to research etc.

I would appreciate help in solving the problem. I still have time on my Norton subscription on one computer and can use that or use a free anti-virus (a computer whiz friend recommended the free avast and uses a hardware firewall--whatever that is. I will check with Verizon about our FIOS router to see what is in it. I can't even open OUtlook Express and see messages right away because ZA comes on to check them first. It is all very frustrating. Thanks.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help with Zone Alarm
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help with Zone Alarm
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
photobug41
by tomron / May 25, 2007 11:30 AM PDT
In reply to: Help with Zone Alarm

If you have "Zone Alarm Internet Security suite 2007" and "Norton Internet Security".

more then one anti virus enabled can cause conflicts.

If you have "Zone Alarm Internet Security suite 2007 and use windows firewall,more then one firewall enabled can cause conflicts.

Tom

Collapse -
Zone Alarm
by photobug41 / May 25, 2007 12:00 PM PDT
In reply to: photobug41

I don't know much, but do know that I can't run 2 anti-virus programs and I totally removed Norton before installing ZA. The Windows firewall is turned off since that is what I did with Norton. I have heard there are better firewalls than Windows.

I don't understand how anyone can say ZA is easy to use when there is so much extra stuff on there that a moderate user can't understand. I have been using Windows since 3.1 was out so I am not a total novice. I had problems with Norton's tech help, but the program usually stopped intrusions and I didn't have to know much to run it.

What I meant was that I could remove ZA and reinstall Norton or get another program. My husband's new computer (NOT a Dell after 2 of our Dells died after 3 years!--that is another subject) came with McAfee and I didn't like that several years ago when it came on a computer so switched to Norton. ZA is making Norton look better to me.

Collapse -
ZoneAlarm and Outlook Express
by Carol~ Forum moderator / May 25, 2007 12:08 PM PDT

Photobug..

I do know there were problems with ZA Free and Outlook Express, which was a "sticky" at their forum. I do not know if this also involved the Security Suite.

'Some users of free ZoneAlarm have inadvertently had Anti-spam enabled. This can cause interference with Outlook and Outlook Express, or possibly with Outlook crashes.

To turn off the anti-spam filtering, please click on the following link. Select Run. Once it runs, you will get a popup asking if you really wish to add this information to the registry, click Yes. Then reboot your system. Antispam should now be disabled.

http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/free/mailfrontier/mf_off.reg

We apologize for any inconvenience.
Zone Labs Support.
'
http://forums.zonealarm.com/zonelabs/board/message?board.id=inst&message.id=67036

If you don't get an answer here, you might want to take a look at their forums. You should find a great deal of information about ZASS7 here:
http://forums.zonealarm.com/zonelabs/board?board.id=inst

Before uninstalling it in frustration, you might want to look into compatibilty issues, with one of your other programs. It's only a possibility, but I have read of certain software causing conflicts. It's worth looking into. If I should remember which programs, I'll be sure to post back.

Good luck..
Carol

Collapse -
Additional links..
by Carol~ Forum moderator / May 25, 2007 12:24 PM PDT
Collapse -
link re: Outlook Express
by photobug41 / May 25, 2007 3:32 PM PDT

The link you sent did NOT work in any way I tried--including typing it in the address bar and from various comments in the forums. I have received mail stating I sent something to someone and I did not send a thing. This is obviously taking way too much time for me.

Collapse -
The link or the fix?
by Carol~ Forum moderator / May 25, 2007 4:43 PM PDT

If you're referring to the link (ZA & OE) itself, since you said you tried typing it in the address bar, you can also go here..
http://forums.zonealarm.com/zonelabs/board?board.id=inst and click on "FREE ZoneAlarm anti-spam/Outlook issues". If you meant the fix, where the link took you didn't work, I never gauranteed it would.

There is only thing I can add and say for sure, which you may encounter, whether or not you keep ZA. I'm not saying this is the cause of any of your problems with ZA, but it should be something to keep in mind. Verizon changed their spam filter some months back. Certain addresses, which I received on a constant basis before, would suddenly be blocked. I avoid calling Verizon at all costs, but did call and spoke with a supervisor. He was aware of the problem and informed me he was "supposed" to tell people to "white list" the addresses. He also warned me, it only worked 1 time out of 3. If that. I've had reason to do it a few times with different addresses, and have white-listed the address 4 times! It seems to eventually correct the problem. My gut told me, it had nothing to do with the list. But then again, I'm quite skeptical when it comes to these things. I am not the only one this has happened to. Only something to keep in mind, if you do run into the problem.

I generally don't like to give my "opinions" here, but will now. If I were you, I'd go back to what I liked and what I knew. (IMO) Sounds like you're headed in that direction anyway. You sighted some good alternatives in your first post. Why not give those a try? If, in the end, you decide to uninstall ZA, "Plan B" for a "Full/Clean Uninstall" in the middle of this page may help:

http://forums.zonealarm.com/zonelabs/board/message?board.id=inst&message.id=68012

Many of the AV's have removal tools. I didn't see one, which does not mean it doesn't exist. If there isn't one, I would make sure to follow the part of "Plan B" above, where they suggest installing CCleaner.

My 50

Collapse -
A simple fix
by smkatz / May 25, 2007 1:10 PM PDT

Change the zonealarm alerts from manual to automatic. This will stop you from getting them. Zonealarm gets its ease of use from a database of which apps are good and which apps are bad. If you use the database by setting it to Automatic mode, you won't be bothered by alerts you don't understand.

You also need to add ebay.com to your spam white list (anything on the white list automatically goes through to your Inbox). Zonealarm's antispam module is a white list "challenge response" system.

For further help, please e-mail me (smkatz@gmail.com). I'm on a Mac now though, so I'll have to do all my testing in virtual pc.

--Sam

Collapse -
Zone Alarm problems
by photobug41 / May 26, 2007 12:45 AM PDT
In reply to: A simple fix

Thanks to all who made suggestions; I appreciate the promptness and thoroughness. I installed a purchased copy of ZA Suite ($70 for 3 computers) and never had a free copy. I wrote to customer service and they may let me return it--I am not sure from their email.

Re: Verizon. I know about the white list since our local library had a problem with Verizon, but I was not having the problems I described before installing ZA. Also, the tech help for FIOS is so much better than with DSL that I couldn't believe it. The people speak English and take time to be helpful and that is before and after we had FIOS installed. I called them last night since after reading their home page, I discovered that we can get McAfee free with MSN Premium which comes with FIOS. The tech wasn't sure it would be for 3 computers or not so we'll start with one and go from there.

I have had so many problems with this Dell (my second and probably last) that I am careful of making any changes I don't understand. I had to reinstall Windows some time ago and the tech help was awful. One person asked me if I needed Office! IMO Dell's tech help is less than worthless both on the phone and on line. Norton isn't much better but they did respond quickly to my problem with uninstalling the program after I told them their answer to upgrade was stupid!

Thanks to all again. I'll be back to let you know the solution.

Collapse -
Zone Alarm removed
by photobug41 / May 30, 2007 12:41 PM PDT
In reply to: Zone Alarm problems

Just a quick update and thanks to all. We were able to get McAfee installed on all 3 computers--the anti-virus and firewall. So far it has been working well with many fewer frustrations than we were having with ZA. Some things are not worth taking time to learn when there are more important things to deal with.

I know no programs are problem free for all of us, but we may as well use what we are comfortable with at our individual skill level.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech Tip

Stuck without Internet and want to watch movies?

CNET shows you how to download movies and TV shows onto your device using Amazon Prime so you'll always be entertained.