Windows Vista

Question

Help with WD external hard drive...

by mikelowrey4221 / March 4, 2013 9:27 AM PST

I have a WD external hd and I cannot figure out why it is not loading the information on it. Ive had it for a long time and I have been using it to put backup information on it for my job. It was working fine earlier today but then it just stopped working. I uninstalled the driver and reinstalled it. I tried to go to the manage section but it is not showing up. When I look at it on my computer it is showing up but it is not showing any information on it like how many gigs or how much information is on there. I do not want to lose any of the information because it is important that I have it for work. Can anyone please help me. Thank you very much.

Mike Lowrey

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help with WD external hard drive...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help with WD external hard drive...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
The good news is it was a backup.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 4, 2013 9:30 AM PST

You can replace the drive and backup again with no loss.

Remember I'm taking your word this was the backup copy.

Hard drives fail without notice and I can't tell if this one can be fixed from this story.
Bob

Collapse -
(NT) PS. Tell more. Such as "it spins", works on other PCs, etc
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 4, 2013 9:32 AM PST
Collapse -
response

It spins and I can hear it in the case that it is in. It does not work on other computers at all but I know that the power lite is on. It plugs up into a usb port and the computer is the power supply. How would I back it up with out being able to access it?

Collapse -
Since it does not work on other PCs.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 4, 2013 9:41 AM PST
In reply to: response

There is no need to back it up since it is just a backup and the original is still where it is.

Maybe you need to re-write your post (I goofed mine!) about this being the only and last copy.

Does the drive show in Device Manager or Disk Management?

Yes I read "manage" above but let's try to use the titles of the apps Vista came with during technical discussions.
Bob

Collapse -
Explanation better
by mikelowrey4221 / March 4, 2013 9:47 AM PST

It does show up in device manager and it does not show up in the disk management... I deleted the originals because I had the back ups still there and I was making more room on my computer hard drive. Hind sight is 20/20 I would have never done that if I would have known this was going to happen. Sorry about not being really specific about this I will be later on.

Collapse -
OK, that means the drive is seen but no file system.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 4, 2013 9:54 AM PST
In reply to: Explanation better
Collapse -
A backup is when there is an original and a copy.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 4, 2013 10:00 AM PST
In reply to: Explanation better

And if you follow your IT training you have your original and at least 2 copies so that's 3 copies in 3 places for safety. Folk that drive it down to one last copy or one copy and original are not "in a state of backup."

With DropBox and more out there it's a shame to read about losses today.
It's like folk tell us they let the antivirus expire. Since there are free antivirus apps (like free storage) there's rarely a good reason to go without.

-> There is another way to get those files back. If you are serious you would turn the power off to the machine that had the last copy and remove it's hard drive. Then you put it into some other system on USB or internal and try those apps I listed earlier or drivesavers that drive as well.
Bob

Collapse -
Another thing
by mikelowrey4221 / March 4, 2013 10:22 AM PST

I don't know how to navigate around this but when it shows up for the short amount of time in the folders section where the hard drives are located under computer it shows a question mark and then after 1 to 2 minutes it disappears completely off the computer but the power is still on and the drive is still going...

Collapse -
This is the response I get
by mikelowrey4221 / March 4, 2013 10:31 AM PST

This is the response I get when I try and click on the drive to open it...

F:\ refers to a location that is unavailable. It could be on a hard drive on this computer or on a network. Check to make sure that the disk is properly inserted, or that you are connected to the internet (which I am always connected) and then try again. If it still cannot be located, the information might have been moved to a different location.

1. What other location can there be if this drive does not show up in disk management?
2. Where could this setting be so I can possibly change it?
3. I have tried all the USB ports on my computer and with different USB cables so that is not the problem.

Collapse -
Then it's time for drivesavers.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 5, 2013 12:03 AM PST

Drivesavers is your next stop as do it yourself recovery is not working for you.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.