Mac Applications

General discussion

Help with text in PDF file

by jlj889 / February 15, 2010 5:11 AM PST

Hi, I hope this question is ok posted in here.

My problem is this: I am scanning in a bunch of old pictures and I want to insert a text box with the names of the individuals. According to the Help menu, i have to save it as a PDF file and then insert the text box. Well, I've done that but when I add the box and click in it to type it doesn't let me, when I start typing it just dings at me. When I double click the box to edit, it brings up the edit box but there doesn't seem to be an add text area. I have been able to add notes to the pictures, but they only show up when clicked and I really want to add the list of names to the bottom of the pictures. I am sure it is a simple step and I am overlooking something, but I can't figure out what.

I am using OSX, and the pictures are being viewed in preview if that helps.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help with text in PDF file
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help with text in PDF file
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try this,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / February 15, 2010 8:20 AM PST

Scan your pictures and save them as JPEGs

Open Preview and then open your picture.

At the top of the Preview window, you will find a button marked Annotate.
Click it.
At the bottom of the window, a line of icons will appear.
Select the icon that looks like a square(ish) box and draw a box at the bottom of your picture.
Click in the box and type the names that you want.
Save the picture and you are done.

P

Collapse -
did try
by jlj889 / February 15, 2010 8:42 AM PST
In reply to: Try this,

P, thanks for your reply. The issue is that I only get the option for Annotate when the picture is saved as a PDF, I just re-tried your suggestion and with the JPEG files I still don't get the option to Annotate. And still with the PDF files, when I click annotate and I only get a ding when I try to type. I've clicked and clicked on the pictures to add text but nothing. Just an empty text box. i have been able to add notes to the PDF files, but that isn't the solution I am looking for.

Thanks again for the answer.

Collapse -
Fixed
by jlj889 / February 15, 2010 12:18 PM PST
In reply to: did try

Thanks for the reply. It turned out that I was never getting the text edit bar, I realized this after seeing a screen shot. I don't know why I didn't get the bar, but an upgrade to snow leopard fixed the issue. Thanks again for taking the time to help me out.

Collapse -
(NT) Welcome
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / February 15, 2010 9:45 PM PST
In reply to: Fixed
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.