TVs & Home Theaters forum

Question

Help with setup

by Kellyhall91 / February 2, 2013 2:44 AM PST

I have a new Yamaha RX-V373 receiver and am not really understanding how I should connect all of my components, so some help would be appreciated.
- I have verizon fios, so have a box for that. It is an HD box so has HDMI.
- have a Samsung tv with 2 HDMI connections, along with digital audio out and then various component connections.
- I have Sony DVD player that has component video out and s video (don't think receiver has s video)
- have VCR player that only has white,red,yellow cords.

I would like for all sound to go through my speakers. Can anyone help?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help with setup
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help with setup
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Do you mean the TV speakers?
by wpgwpg / February 2, 2013 3:02 AM PST
In reply to: Help with setup

The only thing I see in your post that has speakers is your TV. Is that where you want the sound? If not, where?

Collapse -
Clarification
by Kellyhall91 / February 9, 2013 11:27 AM PST

I have speakers attached to my receiver.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Recipe
by Pepe7 / February 3, 2013 12:36 AM PST

Provided your components have the inputs/outputs I think they do, you can connect as follows:

FIOS box (HDMI out) --> (HDMI in) Yamaha AV receiver

Yamaha (HDMI out) --> (HDMI in) Samsung HDTV

VCR (Red/White/Yellow out) --> (Red/White/Yellow in) Yamaha AV reciever

Sony DVD (Component out) --> (Component in) Yamaha AV
"" "" (digital optical or digital coaxial out) --> (digital optical or digital coaxial in) Yamaha

Make sure you read through the Yamaha manual regarding how to assign & select between various connection/audio types.

Enjoy!

Collapse -
PS3 pass through
by impuis_lupus / February 4, 2013 7:27 AM PST
In reply to: Recipe

You wouldn't happen to know if it is possible to have a PS3 connected an have the receiver off as well just to use the tv sound and not the speakers. As well what is the best settings for a PS3 for sound out put also I have a p50ut50 connected to it

Collapse -
Start a new thread for this question (n/t)
by Pepe7 / February 4, 2013 11:49 AM PST
In reply to: PS3 pass through

n/t

Collapse -
Answer
How to set-up an AV Receiver
by ahlerttd / February 5, 2013 12:25 AM PST

Here is a good article for how to set up an AV receiver.

I would suggest running your verizon fios to your receiver via hdmi. Then run your sony dvd player to the av receiver using component connections (red, blue, green video and red and white audio). Finally run the vcr via the red and white (audio) and yellow (video) cables.

Then use the hdmi output connection on your receiver and send that to a hdmi-in connection on your tv.

Your speakers will connect directly to your av receiver and the receiver will output the sound directly to your speakers. You may need to change an hdmi pass through setting on your receiver if you hear sound on your tv instead of your speakers.

You may also need to map the connections using your receivers settings. For example, you may need to tell your receiver that the DVD input is coming from component cables rather than hdmi.

Collapse -
Spammer.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 20, 2013 12:33 AM PST

If you check this poster out, they tend to spam that site. Let's hope they tell why someday.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Check out the DVD
by mjd420nova / February 20, 2013 2:34 AM PST

I got a DVD inside my box. It has an english version of the user manual in a .PDF format. I just replaced an old but venerable Pioneer unit and am still researching the various options and decoding formats. My HDTV has four HDMI inputs so I use that to be the switcher and the Yamaha unit is fed with the optical output from the TV to AV4. The reciever (AM/FM) is very good and even captured a few that were interfered with by other stations. The impedance options are best left to a tech that knows how to test and set that option, best left in default than do possible damage. The HDMI switching and output HDMI can add additional options but the ARC functions can get confusing and create echo and static on outputs. No, the unit doesn't have an S-video jack. It does have composite video/audio outputs and a monitor output (composite) for system control instead of the HDTV.

Collapse -
Impedance?
by Pepe7 / February 20, 2013 11:46 PM PST
In reply to: Check out the DVD

Why are we getting so deep into such settings for the OP?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.