Cameras forum

Question

Help with Pentax Optio camera please

by Serendipity86 / December 17, 2012 12:48 AM PST

Hi, I need help with my camera please.
I have a pentax optio s10, I've had it for 4 and a half years with no problems. When the flash is on it usually takes bright crisp pictures, and when the flash is off not so good pictures but I'm used to that.
I was taking some pics of my son and I noticed it kept doing red eye, so I pressed the flash button (which I usually just have set to flash auto) and I changed it to flash auto + red eye which I have never used before. I carried on taking pictures and noticed that the pictures had gone really dark. So I changed it back to just flash auto but it was still taking really dark pictures :/ So I went to the set-up menu and reset the camera but it didn't fix the problem, it's still taking darker pictures that aren't that clear, even with the flash on... I don't know what's happened. I've used it with no problem for the past 4 yrs and it's always taken clear bright pictures, I don't know why this has happened just from me putting it on auto+ red eye, and then changing it back, even after the camera reset. Any help would be much appreciated, it's nearly christmas so I really need to try and fix the camera, please help if you have any ideas of what is wrong with it. Thank you

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help with Pentax Optio camera please
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help with Pentax Optio camera please
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Did you try a reset to factory defaults?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 17, 2012 1:02 AM PST
Collapse -
yep
by Serendipity86 / December 17, 2012 1:14 AM PST

Yea I did, lol, I said in my question ''so I went in set-up and reset the camera''. I don't know what's wrong with it Sad
It also seems to be putting a red light on the front, and when I take a pic without flash on this red light is on and the photo ends up just looking really red :/

Collapse -
The formatting of the post can have us miss things.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 17, 2012 1:17 AM PST
In reply to: yep

I see it now. Did you try new batteries? Not that I've seen it help often but we gotta try it all before we call it an old camera in need of repair.

Again, if it's just red eye, you can fix that later in most photo editors.
Bob

Collapse -
ok
by Serendipity86 / December 17, 2012 1:31 AM PST

I don't really care about the red eye thing any more, lol, I'm just stressing about the fact that the pictures are suddenly darker and way less clear for no apparent reason Sad
It doesn't take 'batteries', it has it's own specific pentax battery like mobile phones do. I can buy a new one, but not until after christmas n obv I wanna use the camera at christmas, and I don't really see why the battery would be the problem, it's showing as fully charged. Thanks for your help though

Collapse -
Try pulling the battery out, wait a bit and slip it back in.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 17, 2012 1:46 AM PST
In reply to: ok

And I see it's fully charged. Sorry but we are trying to avoid calling it a camera in need of repair so we'll do all we can.

If we get to the end, there is that last ditch thing they did on the moon.
Bob

Collapse -
what
by Serendipity86 / December 17, 2012 2:28 AM PST

huh? Lol

Collapse -
Yes. Never go to the Moon without a hammer.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 17, 2012 5:24 AM PST
In reply to: what
Collapse -
Light on front
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / December 17, 2012 7:49 AM PST
In reply to: yep

If you are talking about the light right below the flash - it is the autofocus light.
It should turn-on when you take any picture.

You said the camera is taking dark pictures.
Is the flash firing at all?
It takes 5 to 10 seconds for the flash capacitor to recharge after each use.
Are you giving it time to recharge?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.