Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

Help!!! with my new 4 GB sandisk m260

by newburyfruit / April 17, 2006 12:22 AM PDT

At my home computer (Windows XP) I see the player as a removable drive and can store music in the "Music" folder, I can also then listen to my music with the ear phones. All good there.

I brought the player to the office to transfer some mp3s I had in my Windows 2000 computer and I can also see the player as a removable driver, but the "Music" folder is nowhere to be found, instead there is an "Audible" folder where I can drag the music, but later on when I try to play it, that music and that folder are not showing on the display of the mp3.

Please tell me what's going on. I cannot find any help on the sandisk website

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help!!! with my new 4 GB sandisk m260
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help!!! with my new 4 GB sandisk m260
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Reply to help
by vishalsignap / April 18, 2006 12:55 AM PDT

This player has 2 different USB modes, MSC and MTP. Most likely, it's set to "Auto Detect" and it's showing up as MTP on your XP computer and MSC on your 2000 computer. This is why you see different folders on each computer.

I would recommend switching the player to MSC mode (Menu > Settings > USB > MSC), then it will be consistent. Once this is done, create a Music folder and use that to store all your songs. The player should recognize all the songs in this folder that you create.

If you still have songs in MTP mode, then take those out (using the XP computer) before you begin using MSC mode.

Collapse -
Thanks and new question
by newburyfruit / April 18, 2006 1:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Reply to help

Thanks for your answer, by the time I read it, I had kinda figured this out. Still though, I find these problems:
1. I have lots and lots of unknown album, unknown artist songs on the player which I know for sure have correct artist and album names when I connect it to the computer, why is it not copying the names onto the player?
2. There is a Beatles song showing on the player which I want to delete, yet when I connect the player to the computer this song does not show anywhere in the "Audible folder" which is where all the other music is. Any ideas where it could be?
3. Can this song be deleted right there in the player? without having to connect it to the computer?
4. Is there an owner's manual to this thing? I do much better reading and following instructions than pushing tiny buttons until what I'm looking for appears before my eyes.

The truth is I'm feeling frustrated with this player!!

Collapse -
Additional help
by vishalsignap / April 18, 2006 2:11 AM PDT

1. There is a beta firmware update that should fix this problem. Send an e-mail to ProductSupport@sandisk.com and request the update.

2. The file may be in a different folder in MSC mode, or perhaps it's in MTP mode. When you do the firmware update, it will format the player and erase everything anyway. After that, you can start over and always use MSC mode to avoid confusion.

3. The only way to delete files is via the computer.

4. Owner's manual here:

http://www.sandisk.com/Retail/Default.aspx?CatID=1304

Collapse -
comments
by Chip_Leader / April 18, 2006 8:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Additional help

I own the 2gb M250, and while I have not tried all the things you have in ragrds to x-fer of songs from one PC to another via the player as a flash drive, to date I have not had any of the other issues you have had. I have both copied over or downloaded tons of music and NO unknowns etc yet.

Plus it is true, to delete you need to do it as it is hooked to PC

I hope the solution proposed above works for you. I have found so far for the price this is a great easy player

Collapse -
Thanks
by newburyfruit / April 19, 2006 1:29 PM PDT

I wrote to Sandisk and am awaiting their response regarding the firmware. I hope they respond quickly. I saw the manual, it has nothing about the autodetect and other format, but that did solve my problem regarding files that could not be seen by one or another computer. Boy I do hope they update their manual so other people don't have to go through all this.

Thanks for all your help.

Collapse -
Firmware update for Sandisk m260
by newburyfruit / April 24, 2006 1:45 AM PDT

I contacted Sandisk and they did send me the firmware update, I followed the instructions, but nothing happened. It is entirely possible I didn't do it right because the directions were not so clear to me. I have some questions: what is the root directory? The directories I see when I plug it in are Audible, Config, and Record, then there is a singe item SYS CONFIG.DNC where exactly do I put this firmware update? I dragged it from my desktop and
dropped it off right in the middle of the window that
shows these files, should it go inside of one of them?
ALso: should I have saved it to my desktop first and
then drag it, or should I have saved it directly onto
the appropriate folder? and lastly how do I know if I have a version beginning with a 2?

I have also posed these questions to the sandisk customer support people and haven't heard from them in about 5-6 days.

Collapse -
Unknown Artist & Unknown Album
by nathan323 / April 21, 2006 6:33 AM PDT

I have the same problem mentioned here concerning files having unknown artist, and unknown album when other songs from the same album were loaded at the same time and are fine. You also indicated in a later post that you were able to solve this problem. Did you obtain a firmware update, and if so which one was it? If it was by another means can you tell me how?

Collapse -
Unknown artist unknown album
by newburyfruit / April 24, 2006 1:50 AM PDT

Supposedly this is fixed with the firmware update. I have received this update but have been unsuccessful in installing it. I have just posted a new question about this and hopefully somebody will guide me. In the mean time you can contact Sandisk customer support to request the firmware update. See answer to my first or second post for information about contacting Sandisk support.

Collapse -
Unknown artist unknown album - Problem persist
by nathan323 / April 25, 2006 6:11 AM PDT

I have installed the most recent beta firmware (version 2.2.5) and that has not resolved it. I know I'm not the only one because I've seen other thread regarding this. There is one at http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/15118/209222.html , and it is mentioned at http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Sandisk_Sansa_MP3_players/m200. It is really weird because when I removed the files that came up as unknown, and then other songs that had been fine started showing up as unknown. It is as if it has bad drive sectors and any songs saved to that space are corrupted. I received the firmware update from Sandisk Cust. Svc. and they said if that doesn't work I'll need to send it back to them. I was hoping to avoid that, but it sounds like it is defective.
Interestingly I don?t think this happens to the m200?s with less than 4GB of storage. The GUI may not be competent at managing this much real estate.

Collapse -
Not limited to v2
by b0z0dcl0wn / July 9, 2006 4:07 AM PDT

This "Unknown" problem is not limited to newer 4gb Sansa models. I have the M240 (1gb) with version V3.2.8A and personally know other who are in the same situation (all the same symptoms mentioned in this tread).

It is strange how it say "Unknown" in the artist area it will group the songs by artist when you playback; Play Music/Artist/*Play All.

Given that we are now in July, I am now the frustrated Sansa user looking for closure (a solution) on this tread.

Collapse -
Sansa M260 unknown artist, unknown album
by newburyfruit / July 9, 2006 7:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Not limited to v2

It really is very frustrating, and I found out it doesn't have to do with the player as much as with the program you used to convert the songs into mp3 format. It is at that time that the id tags (album, artist and song names) get attached to each song. The next time I'll use Windows media player to do this conversion and make sure I get all the info before converting to mp3, that way the problem will be avoided.
I was able to bypass the problem by going in manually and adding the name of the album and name of the artist to each set of songs on the player. If you are looking at the contents of the player on your desktop and highlight all the songs in an album, then right click and choose "properties", you will be able to add album name and artist name to these songs. The actual name of the song will remain as Track One, Two, Three, etc., unless you do one song at a time, in which case you could add the name of each song- it just takes a lot more time!!!! I hope this helps,

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.