Peripherals forum

Help with monitor choice:)

by x.killeddestiny.x / January 10, 2013 11:23 AM PST

Hi everyone,

The title says it all really. Also there's a TL;DR at the bottom. Here's some back story, I am legally blind (my eye sight is 70/20 if that helps anyone) so I stick pretty close to my screens. Right now my current set up is this:

nVidia GT460m
Acer 21.5" 900p (VGA)
Acer 19" 4:3 (probably 10 years old) - USB VGA
LG 50" plasma tv (HDMI)

I use the TV for watching everything but with how small my room is it's straining my eyes like crazy (at best I get about 4-5' of distance from it) but my monitor is too small to sit back and watch movies and tv on. So I'm considering upgrading to a 1080p monitor, I just need to know size. Basically I do a lot of web browsing on my main monitor, game on it, and would watch tv/movies through Netflix. I'm debating on a 24" or a 27" here's what it comes down to:

Would the 24 be big enough to enjoy movies at a 3' distance? (I can see probably half as well as the normal person)
Would the 27" be too big for web browsing, graphic design work, word processing, etc?
Should I just stick with my current set up?

Money is no object but the more it costs the longer I have to wait. I'm also likely to buy 2 more of these monitors to use on a future PC build so it has to be good.

I'm considering these brands:
Acer (I haven't heard many good stories but my personal experience is excellent, mostly.)
Viewsonic (only other monitor brand I owned, very pleased with it.)

TL;DR blind guy needs new monitor. Currently using a 21" 900p as main. Want a 1080p monitor either 24 or 27" Which would be best for a compromise between graphic design, movie watching, gaming, web browsing, photo-viewing. Plan on buying 2 more in future of same model.

Thanks guys, sorry about it being long winded but at least you have all the current facts.:)

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help with monitor choice:)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help with monitor choice:)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Whatever you get you should see it in a store first
by wpgwpg / January 10, 2013 12:01 PM PST

I wouldn't buy any monitor I couldn't see before buying. I suspect you'd have good luck with Dell, Samsung, or Viewsonic, but you have to get something that's pleasing to your eyes, and we all have differing eyes. I'm very happy with my 21.5" LCD Dell monitor, less so with my 19" Acer LCD one, but it's OK. The AOC monitors I've seen in stores look good to me too. I've also got a desktop connected to a 32" 720P Visio TV, and it's not as bright as a real computer monitor. In general I'd think the bigger the better.

Good luck.

Collapse -
Made my choice
by x.killeddestiny.x / January 20, 2013 9:39 AM PST

I took your advice on the bigger is better and I got a 27" Viewsonic VA2703, and it's a great monitor. I took the demo model so I got a good deal on it too which is nice. Ironically it looked to be the worst monitor of the bunch but now that I've tuned it and got it home I love the warmer colours and lower brightness.

Collapse -
For monitors you go see them.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 11, 2013 12:22 AM PST

No one that wants the best display would buy by spec alone.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.