Mac Applications forum

General discussion

Help with Microsoft Entourage

by coolkev / April 18, 2008 1:43 AM PDT

I just recently bought a mackbook pro, and i am using entourage for my email apllication, and when an email comes through with pictures in it, for an example when i get an email from cnet, it always wants me to click the download pictures to show the pictures in the email. When I used microsoft outlook for windows there was a setting to automaticlly download pictures in an email. i was just wondering if there was away to do that for Entourage. Macs, and mac software are a new thing for me, and i dont know alot about them yet.

thanks in advance for any help

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help with Microsoft Entourage
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help with Microsoft Entourage
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Pictures in emails
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / April 18, 2008 2:59 AM PDT

there is a theory that if you do not download the graphics contained in an email, there is less chance of your falling victim to spam.
This is based on a spammer shooting out thousands of emails which contain graphics. By opening the email, the graphics are called from a site that is monitored by the spammer. The fact that abcd@xyz.com downloaded the graphics indicates that the address used is a valid, active, address. The fetch more on the market.

Go to the preferences in Entourage and you will find a check box that prevents/allows the downloading of graphics contained in an email.

Just as a matter of interest, as a new switcher why did you choose Entourage as your email client?

P

Collapse -
by coolkev / April 18, 2008 5:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Pictures in emails

Ok, makes since, it isnt that big of a deal to click a button, was just wondering. I decided to use Entourage because i have a blackberry, and i like to have all my stuff synchronized together(e-mail address, etc) I started out using the apples default email application already installed, but i liked entourage. One more question since you know alot, do i need to have a anti-virus software installed??? i hear macs are really secure, but i know someone that had theirs crash because of a virus??? if needed, any suggestions??

thanks....

Collapse -
Virus Software
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / April 18, 2008 7:01 AM PDT
In reply to: reply

Ahh, yes. Good reasons.

Currently there are NO virus's that act against OS X, out there in the real world.

That's not to say that there never will be, just none currently and for the last 6 years.

CLAMXAV, Google for it, is a good free AV software that you can run to protect your less fortunate friends, the ones not running OS X, as it looks for Windows virus's too.

We would all be interested in hearing about the first person to have had their OS X machine trashed by a virus. Methinks they were mistaken, but if you know the person, we'd like more details please.

Thanks

P

Collapse -
DIdn't we all just discuss this issue?
by BeatleMegaFan / April 20, 2008 1:09 PM PDT
In reply to: Virus Software

Hence my thoughts on a temporary sticky, until an actual virus is written/released for Macs.

Using programs or downloading regular files can trash as well, so I agree, that person was mistaken.

You have to wonder why those AV software companies have actually made programs for Macs when hardly any users buy them. When was the last time you or anyone saw Norton AV or something on another Mac? I know I haven't seen any such program on anyone's Mac. Sure it's nice to have the option there but this software may not work against new, real OS X viruses. Defeats the point, no?

Apple did make a commercial about Macs being virus-free, and we all know they continue to use that in their marketing. Yet people still ask if they need it. At least people ask about it when it comes to OS X, since almost everyone knows to run firewalls and AV software on a Windows machine.
-BMF

Collapse -
Entourage image downloads
by ilglists / September 25, 2008 11:18 PM PDT

Check out Entourage Preferences > Security. You will see options for downloading pictures. "Never" is obviously most secure, but annoying. Checking "In messages sent from Address Book contacts" is probably what you want.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.