Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Help with Linksys wireless router and Bellsouth DSL modem

by jeffcia / December 24, 2009 11:11 PM PST

I am able to connect to the Internet with my DSL modem, but I have tried everything to get my Linksys WRT54G ver6 to work with no luck. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Below is config info.

Windows Vista Home
Downloaded and installed the latest firmware (July 2009)
I can connect to the router using 192.168.1.2 (it was 192.168.1.1, but I changed it to see if it would save new settings).
At times, I've had an error that said "Receiver error while upgrading the router's language pack", but I turned off Windows Firewall, rebooted the router, turned Windows Firewall back on, and now I am not getting that.

I'm not sure what information is required for host and domain name. It says it may be required by the ISP, but I don't know.

When I click on the wireless button in the Linksys web interface, it says to hit the push button. The Cisco light starts blinking, and I get a message saying that it is accepting clients and that I will be returned to the previous screen when SES config is complete, but it goes no furter - it just blinks a white/blue

Thanks in advance!!!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help with Linksys wireless router and Bellsouth DSL modem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help with Linksys wireless router and Bellsouth DSL modem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sorry in advance.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 24, 2009 11:22 PM PST

The details are missing in your post. No make, model of the DSL modem means I can't reply with any good ideas.

Changing the router from 192.168.1.1 to 1.2 is a non-starter. If it was 192.168.2.1 then that's a known fix to a known problem but since the DSL modem is unknown then I have no reason to offer that change.

Here's the problem. There is a lot involved in getting this to work. Details matter and if this reply upsets you then I'm sorry in advance. Try to supply all the details to save time since this is all volunteer.

Ready? Tell more.
Bob

Collapse -
Details
by jeffcia / December 24, 2009 11:50 PM PST
In reply to: Sorry in advance.

No need to appologize - I should have included this.

Westell B90-610030-60 Rev F DSL Router.

I was able to connect to it using http://launchmodem

I changed from PPoE to Bridge, but now I cannot connect to it.

I read on another post that it may be a confilict between the two routers, but I'm not sure what to configure on which router.

Thanks again!!

- Jeff

Collapse -
I would have left it to PPPoE.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 25, 2009 12:02 AM PST
In reply to: Details
http://www.voipmechanic.com/westelltobridge.htm shows that this is your average DSL MODEM ROUTER box.

Changing your other router IP from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.2 was a slight mis-step. If you had used 192.168.2.1 and not change the DSL router to bridge mode (left it alone) then you would have setup a DOUBLE NAT and it should have worked.

But given the story I can't tell which scenario you wanted.

1. The Westell doing the PPPOE work with the next router giving up wifi and more ports.
2. The Westell in bridge mode (it's now a dumb DSL modem) and the router set up with all the PPPOE settings.

Hope this helps.
Bob
Collapse -
Should I reset both routers and start over?
by jeffcia / December 25, 2009 12:48 AM PST

192.168.2.1 Is what it was before, I think. I just put the 2 in the wrong spot.

Should I reset both modems back to defaults?

Any scenerio that will allow both my desktop to connect and my laptops to hit the Internet wirelessly. Is there an advantage to either way? Is one way easier than the other?

Thanks again for helping on Christmas!!

Collapse -
I'm going with no.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 25, 2009 12:59 AM PST

As to 2, 1 being here, there or not, this is the trouble with PCs. We must be exact in our settings and when asking for help. It's not you or me here. Some get upset over this and for those I wonder if they just should be handed a hammer.

Ok, my answer is no. I can setup the system in bridge mode, double nat and in router as a WAP mode (NEW mode I haven't written about yet.)

So let's go over the solutions. Remember that all work and if any have an advantage it's usually the one the owner understands best.

1. Bridge mode. (see that link above on how to setup.)
2. Double NAT mode. Just change the LAN address in the second router and tell the router it's on a cable modem. If you have the first modem doing the PPPOE and tell the second router to do PPPOE then it fails.

3. Router as a WAP mode. We cover that at this link -> http://forums.cnet.com/5208-7589_102-0.html?messageID=2754854&tag=forums06;posts#2754854

Direct link -> http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/965
Bob

Collapse -
I can't get into the DSL Router
by jeffcia / December 25, 2009 1:42 AM PST
In reply to: I'm going with no.

Hey Bob,

I was going to follow the instructions to set up a bridge on the Westell, but now I can't get in to configure it. I have a direct link from the computer to the DSL modem, and I can connect to the Internet, but when I try to go to launchmodem or 192.168.1.254 the connection times out Sad

I've tried holding the reset button in for at least 20 seconds, but still nothing. Somehow my login credentials are still being passed, but is that from Windows Networking or on the DSL Router?

Any suggestions?
Thanks!!

Collapse -
In bridge mode.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 25, 2009 2:08 AM PST

Many turn into dumb DSL modems. To get out of bridge mode, most have us hit the reset on the modem.

But it is entirely your choice which of the 3 common solutions to use.
Bob

Collapse -
Finally working!
by jeffcia / December 26, 2009 2:44 AM PST
In reply to: In bridge mode.

Thanks for all your help Bob!!

Sending from my laptop through my wireless router : )

- Jeff

Collapse -
Merry Christmas.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 26, 2009 3:42 AM PST
In reply to: Finally working!

If you happen to answer again, which setup did you finally go with out of the 3 common solutions? Or did you find another?

Collapse -
I went with this: http://www.dslreports.com/faq/6323
by jeffcia / December 26, 2009 9:54 PM PST
In reply to: Merry Christmas.

I found this step-by-step config. http://www.dslreports.com/faq/6323

1) Reset both to factory defaults & Update firmware on both routers
2) Set Westell DSL Routher to bridged ethernet
3) Leave Linksys set on 192.168.1.1 and PPPoE
4) Set login credentials on the Linksys
5) Leave Hostname and Domain empty (I think I had these filled in before)
6) Set security to WPA-personal
7) Surf wirelessly Happy

Thanks again, and have a Happy New Year.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.