Computer Help forum

Alert

Help with Focal Filter. Sites wont Unblock!

by Erics20 / December 13, 2012 6:40 AM PST

Hey,
I recently installed focal filter and blocked a few sites for 2 hours (last night). Nothing got blocked since my browser was open the entire time(until this evening, when I had to restart my computer.) Uninstalled and removed all my blocked sites from the list, then focal filter came up with an error message stating.

Focal Filter was unable to change your system settings.

Access to C:\Windows\system32\drivers\ect\hosts is denied.

Basically I need to know how to get access to this (Figured out the advance command prompt and entered this in and what not) I just don't know what to put in so I can get access to facebook back.

Chrome also gives me this error message

Error 324 (net::ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE): The server closed the connection without sending any data.

Thanks for the help.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help with Focal Filter. Sites wont Unblock!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help with Focal Filter. Sites wont Unblock!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Since this "focal filter" ...
by Edward ODaniel / December 13, 2012 4:35 PM PST

apparently does its filtering through the HOSTS file you should be able to browse to it with Windows Explorer at C:\Windows\system32\drivers\ect\hosts then make sure it is not set to read only in its properties then open the HOSTS file in NotePad (or any other TEXT EDITOR) and delete the lines containing the URLs you listed. Next, save the file and close NotePad.

Collapse -
Thanks!
by zsinix / March 17, 2013 10:27 PM PDT

I actually just had a very similar problem, and this posting was the only one I could find! The only thing I wanted to add was that the path I found the host file in was C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc\ . Simply editing it in notepad and removing the errant lines (+~5min of waiting, not sure why) fixed my connections. Again thanks!

Collapse -
From the FocalFilter team
by focalfilter / July 13, 2013 4:06 PM PDT

Hi,

I'm one of the authors of FocalFilter.

Some of our users have this problem due to conflicts with other software. In May-June 2013, FocalFilter was downloaded 2463 times, and 9 users emailed us with this problem. That's one email per 274 downloads. Another 7 users contacted us with the opposite problem (FocalFilter was not blocking sites).

If you have this problem, and you have trouble fixing it using the advice in this thread (thanks Edward!), you can contact me through the contact email address shown on focalfilter.com and I will guide you through it.

If you want to know what other software you could use instead of FocalFilter, see the Related Tools section on focalfilter.com.

Regards,
David

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.