TVs & Home Theaters forum

Question

Help with connecting Bluetooth headphones to amplifier

by Cyclingpuppy / November 11, 2012 6:37 AM PST

My father in-law just got a new pair of hearing aids that allow him to pipe, via bluetooth, the audio from a 'TV' to his ears directly.

Here is my problem:
Dish Network DVR attached to amp via HDMI
Audio handled by amp, video signal sent to the TV via HDMI. The amp is 7.1 channel

The only way I can connect the hearing aid base to the amp is via phone jack, or RCA. Here is the problem I need to try and solve.

I can't connect to the TV because audio is not being sent to the TV as it is handled by the amp. I need others to be able hear the TV audio, so I can't use the phone jack. That leaves the RCA only. I need a way to combine the center, left and right channels, or find a way to feed audio through the TV then have it split via the amp.

Am I think thinking this through correctly? Or am I over thinking this and there is an easy solution?

Thoughts and suggestions would be very welcome at this point.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help with connecting Bluetooth headphones to amplifier
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help with connecting Bluetooth headphones to amplifier
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Audio splitter
by pgc3 / November 11, 2012 7:17 AM PST

I think what you are talking about is an audio splitter but that would still require a wired headset. Bluetooth is an entirely different kettle of fish and you could get Bluetooth speakers but am not sure how that would affect a headset or B/T hearing aids. And of course using B/T you have to have B/T capability at the TV and/or DVR. It seems to me that is should be doable but am thinking a bit more research will be required.

Collapse -
May have missed some importan info - sorry
by Cyclingpuppy / November 11, 2012 10:17 AM PST
In reply to: Audio splitter

Actually I may not have been clear enough.
The system setup is as follows:
The amp: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0039XQL44/ref=wms_ohs_product
Dish DVR
Blueray
And Panasonic led
The whole system is setup through hdmi.
DVR to amp
Blueray to amp
Audio split by amp to seven channels. Video signal carried to tv via HDMI for both devices.

The product I'm trying to setup is used for high end hearing aids. The base plugs into wall to power a Bluetooth signal, to a device worn around the neck. This device then places audio directly into the ears as if the were headphones. Here is a link to the device. User manuals and details are there and easy to read.
https://www.phonakpro.com/com/b2b/en/products/accessories/communication/icom/overview.html
It only has RCA or Phone Jack as an option out of the box.

Here is my issue. I need to figure out a way to add this to the system so he can hear the audio, without affecting the audio for everyone else. To clarify, if we switch it to TV/Sat the option is there for him to turn on the device to help him understand and hear the TV better. While on the underhand, if we switch it over to DVD setting, the audio is also seamlessly working. We really want to avoid removing connections from the back, as access is tight and limited to the amp.

Please ask for any clarification, and I'm not a newbie with audio setups. This one just has me stumped.

Collapse -
I get a bad feeling about phonakpro.
by ahtoi / November 11, 2012 1:40 PM PST

They seem to said a lot yet...nothing. That's the reason why I don't understand it either. The pioneer adapter I understand, it is a B/T receiver. Is the phonak suppose to be a B/T transmitter? If so then just connect an audio source to it. If the connection don't fit then you need to find an adapter that would make the necessary connection/s.

Collapse -
Reading about the Bluetooth on Amp
by Cyclingpuppy / November 11, 2012 10:55 PM PST
Collapse -
Have you try making the audio return...
by ahtoi / November 12, 2012 3:02 PM PST

from the tv to the amp with the optical connection then check to see if you can get any audio from the "monitor" out?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.