Computer Help forum

Question

Help with computer problem

by DawnW / September 14, 2013 11:33 AM PDT

I work in Word 2002 every day for my job (that's the version my boss wants to use). The other morning my computer had rebooted overnight, and everything now in My Documents has the symbol of Express Scribe, which is a transcriptionist software that I use, next to it, and whenever I open an email from her with an attachment of a project to do, it no longer opens right into Word like it used to. It is now a DOC file and it is trying to open it in Express Scribe too. I have no clue what happened, but I'm ready to lose my mind! I was able to do a system restore, which temporarily works, but then it goes right back to being messed up. I'm not very good with computers, so if anyone can help, please be specific!

Thanks!!

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help with computer problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help with computer problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Did you try associating .DOC with Word?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 14, 2013 11:42 AM PDT

File associations are a basic Windows skill so I'll stop here.
Bob

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
It would help to know what version of Windows you have
by wpgwpg / September 14, 2013 11:43 AM PDT

I could be a lot more explicit if I new what version of Windows you have, but since I don't (and my dog broke my crystal ball Sad ), I'll just give you generalities. You can right-click any .DOC file and use "Open with" to re-associate them with Word. However, since you say when you fix it, it reverts back, that makes me suspect you have some form of malware. So I'd boot to Safe Mode (via F8 at powering up time) and do a full system scan with your antivirus program. By the way, I'd check with MS, but I believe I saw where they've dropped support for Office 2002 and of course that includes Word and Excel.

Collapse -
Sorry!
by DawnW / September 14, 2013 11:51 AM PDT

I was just coming back on here to post that I have Windows 7. When I try to open any of the files that are in My Documents with Word by right clicking on Open With, it does not even give Word as an option anymore. Is it possible that a Windows update would cause the problem? Like I said, the morning after it rebooted was when everything went haywire, and it said it had installed an update.

In the meantime, I will try what you suggested and let you know if it works. Thanks!

Collapse -
Point to Open With... then click "Choose default program.
by wpgwpg / September 14, 2013 12:06 PM PDT
In reply to: Sorry!

Be sure to check the box that says "always use this program".

Collapse -
Might try a search and see if you can find the folder
by VAPCMD / September 14, 2013 12:36 PM PDT

with 'winword.exe'. That should be file you need to link for 'Word'.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Computer Help
by DawnW / September 14, 2013 12:39 PM PDT

I posted a reply, but it's not here apparently. When I point to Open With, the only options are Express Scribe and Microsoft Open XML Converter, and I can't find Word when I Browse either.

Collapse -
Point to Open With... then click "Choose default program.
by wpgwpg / September 14, 2013 12:45 PM PDT
In reply to: Computer Help

Then you'll see Word listed. Check the box for Word, then check the box that says "Always use this".

Collapse -
Computer Help
by DawnW / September 14, 2013 12:48 PM PDT

Word isn't listed as one of the options. I also can't seem to get my computer to the screen where it says safe mode. After I press F8, it takes me into the reboot screen, if that's what it's called, but no where does it say anything about safe mode or running anti-virus. Sorry I'm not very good with this stuff! I really, really appreciate everyone's help so far, though! I have tons of work and deadlines, and I'm having a meltdown.

Collapse -
I think you're going to need to get help
by wpgwpg / September 14, 2013 1:06 PM PDT

I posted the answer twice, but you still haven't understood what Bob has said is "basic skill" stuff, so I don't believe you're going to resolve this until you get someone with good computer skills to help you. Good luck.

Collapse -
Computer Help
by DawnW / September 14, 2013 1:17 PM PDT

I did try Open With, but like I said, Word is not an option, so I don't understand what you're saying about "basic skill" stuff.

Collapse -
Computer Help
by DawnW / September 14, 2013 2:23 PM PDT

I had asked in a previous message whether an update could have caused this issue, because it happened the morning after my computer had installed an update and rebooted. I just stumbled across this. It's the exact same problem I'm having, and it has happened to many people, caused by an update. I guess I'm not illiterate about "basic stuff" after all!

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2010se-word/my-saved-documents-are-no-longer-the-w-icons-but/93f39099-b622-4b2e-b275-a72bcc616841?page=1&tab=question&status=AllReplies

Collapse -
When you select "open with"
by glb613 / September 14, 2013 8:58 PM PDT

there should be an option to browse. Choosing browse brings up a list of programs installed on your computer and allows you to select a program not on the main list. Have you tried doing a system restore? How about uninstalling the most recent updates?

Collapse -
Lots of options and possibilities
by VAPCMD / September 15, 2013 3:36 AM PDT

What OS are you running ? Windows XP, Windows 7 ?

Are you just using Word or the entire Office suite including outlook ?

Can you use Windows "Explorer" (not Internet Explorer) to search your C drive for "Winword.exe". Use find files named "W*.exe" or "Winword.exe".

Have you tried going from Start, Default Program, select the file extension you want to update or correct...probably *.doc, select 'Change Program' then select the Word ?

Have you tried reinstalling "Word" ?

VAPCMD

Collapse -
So does this basic thing work? (more.)
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 14, 2013 2:44 PM PDT

Start, Run, put in

winword

And press enter. If Word does not start, word is gone.
Bob

Collapse -
Computer Help
by DawnW / September 14, 2013 11:23 PM PDT

Yes, Word is still on my computer, but all of the documents in there have little orange symbols next to them now. I cannot right click on them and save them as Word documents. Word is not an option anywhere, even with browsing. Some people who had the problem are able to right click on the document to change it, but that's not working for me. I tried to do a system restore, but the only things I am seeing there are all of the Office uninstalls that I did over the last few days. It won't let me go back more than a few days even after checking the box for Show More Restore Points.

Not sure what to do at this point. Thanks for the advice.

Collapse -
Since association is not an option.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 14, 2013 11:33 PM PDT

Run WinWord (either by how I shared or another icon) and then use the old File, Open until you sort it out.

Very odd but I wonder what the story is about "all the office installs".
Bob

Collapse -
Computer Help
by DawnW / September 15, 2013 1:53 AM PDT

I called Microsoft and begged them to help me, even though they no longer support Word 2002. They took over my computer and couldn't figure it out either. They basically passed the buck to HP, saying that I need to call them. I am able to still use Word 2002 to work on my current project, but the problem is trying to open new jobs that my boss sends me in email attachments. It's a mess.

Collapse -
So you are telling me
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 15, 2013 1:59 AM PDT

You can't start WinWord and open a document?

Collapse -
Computer Help
by DawnW / September 15, 2013 2:07 AM PDT
In reply to: So you are telling me

Yes, I can do that, but the new emails that my boss has sent me with attachments would normally open in Word 2002 and are now trying to open in Word 2007, which I don't even see installed on my computer. I can't figure out how to get them to open in Word 2002..

Collapse -
Aha.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 15, 2013 5:01 AM PDT

I wonder if you left the Word trial installed. Why not uninstall all versions of Word then install the one you want?
Bob

Collapse -
Computer Help
by DawnW / September 15, 2013 7:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Aha.

I need to keep Word 2002, because that's what my boss wants me to use. I've tried so many different things that I don't know which one did the trick, but it's all back to normal!! Thank you all so much for your help!

Collapse -
So keep it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 15, 2013 8:51 AM PDT

Uninstall ALL versions and install 2002.
Bob

Collapse -
Reading through this thread ...
by Edward ODaniel / September 15, 2013 12:53 PM PDT

I keep seeing NEW things you indicate in the later posts.

This one for instance indicates that although you have Word 2002, Word 2007 is being summoned.

It is possible that you simply need to install the compatibility pack that allows Word 2002 to open Word 2007 docx files.
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=3

You also have told us you can't find Winword.exe even when you browse after selecting Open With... --- you HAVEN'T told us what happens when you browse to "Microsoft office Client Virtualization Handler" and select it as the default program for Word Files.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech Tip

Stuck without Internet and want to watch movies?

CNET shows you how to download movies and TV shows onto your device using Amazon Prime so you'll always be entertained.