Computer Help

Question

Help with booting!

by allanon828 / March 25, 2012 2:21 AM PDT

Help!
I have a Dell Inspiron Duo tablet/netbook convertible, and I downloaded a version of Android from the android x86 project, and booted into it with unetbootin. I tried to install it, and when it asked where I wanted the install, it gave me sda1, sda2 (my windows bootable), and sda3. I formatted sda2 in ext3, and now windows won't boot, and neither will android. Any ideas? The GRUB bootloader has some limited BASH-like capabilites, and a GRUB command line, but I have no idea how to use either to format sda2 to NTFS or FAT32. Help is much appreciated

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help with booting!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help with booting!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Is this a desktop machine or a self bootable tablet?
by LucJPatenaude / March 26, 2012 5:38 AM PDT
In reply to: Help with booting!

Because ext3 sounds like an external access port for use of an external Hard Disk Drive.

Try to install Android x86 on sda1 or sda3. Once that is done, re-install Windows in your sda2 by telling it that it is in the machine instead of being a comm port for external devices.

Did Android boot or, is it confused as to which O.S. it should be booting from? Dual boot is complex and takes time to master it properly. Can not help you further on this booting configuration that you are, currently, attempting to accomplish. Sorry.

Collapse -
Hard Drive
by allanon828 / March 26, 2012 11:11 AM PDT

Th Andriod OS is installed on the Hard Drive, on the bootable disk. It left the windows part of the partition alone, but because it is in ext3 I can't boot into windows, becaus it can't unerstand the format of the partition it is on.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
I'd go back to what the machine was supplied with.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 25, 2012 2:39 AM PDT

If what you found is busted, I suggest you use what Dell supplied.
Bob

Collapse -
Clarification
by allanon828 / March 25, 2012 8:29 AM PDT

Can you clarify? Also I bought it secondhand.

Collapse -
Since what you tried to use was not
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 26, 2012 12:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Clarification

Since what you tried to use was not from Dell or an OS Dell supplied I suggest you go with the Dell supplied OS or try Ubuntu.

While it may seem you want to run Android, I find support is lacking.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
At this point, the mbr partition is busted.
by ahtoi / March 26, 2012 3:05 PM PDT

What I would do is to save windows by "fix mbr" with a floppy or windows cd booting into DOS. This should bring back the windows OS. Hopefully nothing has been destroy in the windows partition. Lets us know if windows can be save. Good luck.

Collapse -
Unfortunately...
by allanon828 / March 31, 2012 8:10 AM PDT

Unfortunately the PC does not have a optical drive, and I use the network drive that I have. I can boot into a GRUB command line, so is there a way to format the drive via the command line? It also has some BASH-like commands, but I don't know what they are.

Collapse -
The good news is we know how to deal with such machines.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 31, 2012 8:52 AM PDT
In reply to: Unfortunately...

We get out an USB DVDRW and install from that.

There are folk that are unable to obtain such but a shop or friend will have such.
Bob

Collapse -
How?
by allanon828 / April 1, 2012 10:03 AM PDT

Can you explain the process in detail please?
I am not a noob at computers, but I do not know how to do that

Collapse -
Remember my level of detail are like this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 1, 2012 10:07 AM PDT
In reply to: How?

1. Use the machine's BIOS defaults (here, the Dells default to boot from USB externals.)
2. Put the recovery media into the USB DVDRW drive.
3. Connect it to the machine.
4. Turn the machine on and follow Dell's instructions to restore the machine.

Could not be any simpler. However you will encounter folk that don't have the USB drive or the media and they will want workarounds. I can't do that since I have never used said workaround. Why? Too expensive and a waste of time.
Bob

Collapse -
Bob, little reminder, it is about a Tablet Unit.
by LucJPatenaude / April 1, 2012 2:21 PM PDT

Not the full scale desktop machine or, even, a conventional Netbook(Laptop sized)system designed for use by students.

I do not think that these have a USB port. Never seen one. Doesn't mean that I actually found one that was, probably hidden by a sliding snap trap, somewhere underneath the tablet unit.

Do think that you have made yourself a good picture of it, in your mind, from now on.
Wink

Collapse -
I've seen the Dell Duo. It's no tablet.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 1, 2012 2:29 PM PDT

It's a netbook with a touch screen so to reload the OS we use the usual methods.

Link to it -> http://www.dell.com/us/p/inspiron-duo/pd

In one position, it's a netbook with a touchscreen. In the other it's a tablet. But still just another netbook.
Bob

Collapse -
By the link you just provided us, the unit has been
by LucJPatenaude / April 1, 2012 3:25 PM PDT

removed from further selling it.

Because, Dell, must have found too many flaws to it and, already has a much newer one called Inspiron 14z including a Windows 7 pre-installed O.S.

The newer one comes with 2 USB 2.0 ports. Dell must have excluded such ports on the, now, discontinued model.

Hope that Allanon828 figures that buying such units secondhand is not always a good investment.
Happy

Collapse -
Actually I must have the 14z
by allanon828 / April 2, 2012 1:38 AM PDT

Seems my tablet has 2 USB ports, comes with Windows 7 OS, and although I bought it off of craigslist, it was pretty new so I think it should be fine

Collapse -
Perfect. So, does that mean that you
by LucJPatenaude / April 3, 2012 12:05 AM PDT

have been successfull at reinstalling Windows in its original partition and, everything is running as smooth as a Rolls-Royce car?

Good for you if it did!
Wink

Collapse -
Havent tried it
by allanon828 / April 3, 2012 10:50 AM PDT

Havent actually tried it yet...Where can I get a reinstall disc?

Collapse -
You will have to buy a full version or Win 7
by LucJPatenaude / April 8, 2012 8:00 AM PDT
In reply to: Havent tried it

from Dell's web-store: http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/category.aspx?c=us&category_id=5571&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&~ck=anav (check out their affordable prices for the Home Premium Edition-full package) or, any other electronics store that sells PCs of all kinds of brands(generally has a full section on unused and new O.S. packages, utility and, games also).

Best-Buy Canada has it on sale at 169.99$ as of right now. It is normally at 199.99$ + taxes.

I do not recommend any resellers that will sell you an OEM Edition on a plain DVD disk with a questionable product key for it(most of the time, Microsoft finds out about such reseller and revokes such product keys). And, do not try to do any digital downloading of such an O.S., it is not a genuine copy of Windows. Most of the time. Unless you get it directly from the Microsoft software online store. Still, not recommended, anyway.

Well, that is all from me, good luck with that reinstall of windows' type of unusual situation. Wink

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.