Camcorders

General discussion

Help with best DV camcorder

by gapsurf / March 24, 2005 10:03 AM PST

I need advice on the best camcorder around the $1,200 price range to produce professional-looking training videos. As a novice (but quick study) to videography, auto functionality ranks slightly over manual control. I will be using Adobe Premiere Pro 1.5 software. According to Adobe, it works best with video captured across a DV (firewire) interface. Thanks!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help with best DV camcorder
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help with best DV camcorder
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Choices
by gemaz / March 30, 2005 3:32 AM PST

I would recommend going to www.camcorderinfo.com for a lot of good information. Go with Sony if you want auto functionality and Panasonic for manual control. You probably want the Panasonic because the Sony has very little manual controls yet the Panasonic is better balanced with incredible manual control at this price point.

Collapse -
Any personal favorites???
by gapsurf / March 30, 2005 10:42 AM PST
In reply to: Choices

Thanks. I did check it out but the more I read, the muddier it gets for me... :o/
Any suggestions or personal perferences in the $1,400 price range?

Collapse -
gs400
by gemaz / March 30, 2005 11:32 PM PST

I completely understand, I have spent way too much time on that site and others like it. I usually don't like to make specific recommendations because it is a lot of money and everybody has their preferences. This time though I think I am safe to say that the gs400 is the best at this price point. However, some of the early ones generated enough noise that the mic would pick it up. If you get one make sure you can return it.
You may want to go back to that sight and read the review of the pv-gs400 and its new brother the pv-gs250 just to make sure it is a good fit for you.

Collapse -
What about the Sony HC1000?
by gapsurf / March 31, 2005 5:12 AM PST
In reply to: gs400

I really appreciate everyone's assistance. Due to lack of availability, sellers of questionable reputation and the nagging "what if" tape transport issue on the GS400, I now leaning toward the Sony HC 1000. If any of you have any info or experience with this camcorder, I'll gladly accept your input. The HC 1000 seems to be rated with like kind camcorder size, picture and low light quality (over the GS250). The lack of manual controls I'm thinking is not a problem for my anticipated uses (I hope). Thanks.

Collapse -
Help with best DV camcorde
by jcrobso / April 1, 2005 1:20 AM PST

The Sony HC 1000 is highend consumer camera, you mentioned the lack of manual comtrol. The Panasoinic camera is the other post gives you manual control of everthing if you need it!! Why don't you print out the pdf of both cameras and study them? What about externial microphone?
The Sony has 3CCD imager so the picture will be a little better. And it is smaller. Here is another option from Panasonic. John
http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/vModelDetail?displayTab=O&storeId=15001&catalogId=13401&itemId=70622&catGroupId=25003&modelNo=PV-GS400&surfModel=PV-GS400&cacheProgram=11002&cachePartner=7000000000000005702

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.