Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Help with Antivirus 2009 virus

by Bedlington / July 10, 2008 1:51 AM PDT

Vostro 1400 Dell laptop windows vista

I am an old novice so be kind!

My son's laptop had numerous boxes appearing saying there were a number of infestations and that it was not protected and to upgrade to Antivirus 2009-I knew it was a virus. Have ran everything from Windows defender to spybot that was already on his laptop and removed what has appeared until the system is clear. It is tricky as the boxes keep appearing over whatever is running and the screen will go blue with a warning to upgrade to Antiviris 2009 now and then more boxes every few minutes.

All the boxes have now gone (after spybot removal) but if I look on the taskbar and goto programs there is an icon which is a blank page and says 'Antivirus Scan' and another 'Online Spyware Test' (both appeared july 2nd). Right click and properties leads to www.securefreelinks but this is a fictional website, though it leads to another one. If you left click it trys to install Antivirus 2009. If you right click and goto 'delete' the message is 'are you sure you want to move this file to recycle bin' another message asks you to confirm and then it runs for ages so feared it was loading this upgrade virus so have stopped that action and deleted such in safemode where they appear to have gone quickly.

The problem is I can find no references to the virus on established PC websites. Those with 'Antivirus 2009 Removal' seem to have suspiciously popped up only recently.

Anybody have any easy to follow helps that can guide me to a clean laptop?

Thank you

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help with Antivirus 2009 virus
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help with Antivirus 2009 virus
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
How to remove Antivirus 2009 (Uninstall Instructions)
by Marianna Schmudlach / July 10, 2008 2:13 AM PDT
Collapse -
Here's a relatively simple way to fix this.
by rider71 / November 12, 2008 3:49 PM PST

First, Download MalwareBytes. If you can't download, use a friends computer to download the installer to a disk, thumb drive or external hard drive. I downloaded mine from Download.com. Once you have it on a disk or other removable storage device, rename the installer file and then transfer it to your desktop. Run the installer and if it doesn't launch the program, don't worry. Right click on the shortcut icon that it put on your desktop or in the quicklaunch bar if you use one, then click "properties". There, you will see "find target". Click the "find target" and you'll open the folder with "mbam.exe" in it. All you have to do is rename that file to anything you like and then launch it by double clicking it. When the program launches, don't bother updating, just run a quick scan not a full system scan, you can do that later. Remove the crap that it finds and reboot as it will suggest. On reboot it will finish removing any crap that's left. You may get a message that windows needs to restore files. I ignored this because I didn't have an actual Operating System disk. I simply rebooted and everything came up fine with no issues. (Try that at your own risk, I had no choice.) Once you're booted up again, launch MalwareBytes again and this time run the update. When it's updated, scan again and remove any remaining crud again. When that's done, run it one more time just to be sure. Antivirus 2009 should be eliminated from your system. You can run a full system scan if you want to.

Another thing, if you already have MalwareBytes on your pc and it won't launch like mine wouldn't first try renaming the executable and then launch and scan. If that doesn't work, then you may need to remove the old version of MalwareBytes and install from another source as I mentioned above. It doesn't usually hurt to try the most simple things first.

I hope I've been of some help. If you have anything to add or see some detail that I've left out or needs corrected, reply and add your comment here. I'm sure it will be appreciated.

Good luck to all.

I hope the Buttwipes who made that program (AV2009) see the inside of a jail sometime soon.

Collapse -
antivirus 2009
by densmora / November 14, 2008 11:07 PM PST

CAUTION: I'm VERY technically challenged!

I recently got a pop up telling me that I had lots of viruses and was advised on screen that I should download antivirus 2009. I thought I did so and just have an empty folder in my computer.

So from these communications I'm getting that this is a hoax and that somebody just stole the $125.oo I paid to Pandora-Software? They sent me a registration key and gave me a license password as well as a "VIP" phone # to call 1-315-895-1331.

If I have an empty folder, do I still have to uninstall????

If this is indeed a shady operation, do I have any recourse to get my money back?? Who do I go to, or whom can I report these people to?

Thanks for any help anyone can give.

Collapse -
Re: antivirus 2009
by Carol~ Forum moderator / November 14, 2008 11:38 PM PST
In reply to: antivirus 2009

Have a look at this report about Pandora Software. It's one of many. They're responsible for a lot of rogue programs. I'm sorry to say, I doubt you'll be getting your money back. Despite the empty folder, I'd highly suggest scanning with the following:

Download Malwarebytes ' Anti-Malware at Here or Here. Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.

* Make sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
* If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
* Once the program has loaded, select Perform Quick Scan, then click Scan.
* The scan may take some time to finish, so please be patient.
* When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
* Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
* When disinfection is completed, a log will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to restart (see Extra Note below).
* The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.

Extra Note:
If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts. Click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately.

Have a look at the below if you have any problems with the above:

If you find you have any further problems, please post back and you'll get the help you need...

Collapse -
Thanks Carol
by Aslade / November 19, 2008 12:30 AM PST
In reply to: Re: antivirus 2009

I did what you said and it worked great, I just wanted to say thank you and I appreciate your help.

Collapse -
(NT) You're quite welcome. Glad it helped :)
by Carol~ Forum moderator / November 19, 2008 2:36 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks Carol
Collapse -
It worked. Woo-Hoo!
by ozarks_slr / November 19, 2008 1:07 PM PST

That tricky Antivirus 2009 thing had me pretty freaked out. But I tried the steps listed here, and it seemed to work fabulously. THANK YOU!

Collapse -
(NT) Nice pc of s/w! You're welcome & glad we could be of help :)
by Carol~ Forum moderator / November 19, 2008 1:23 PM PST
In reply to: It worked. Woo-Hoo!
Collapse -
by gpoole777 / November 25, 2008 4:16 AM PST

Just want to say thanks to Carol for the recommendation. It seems to have worked. However, at startup I get two messages: Can't find yitujafe and also buvujano. I assume that is a good thing?

Collapse -
You're welcome..
by Carol~ Forum moderator / November 26, 2008 3:04 AM PST
In reply to: Malwarebytes

You wrote:
'However, at startup I get two messages: Can't find yitujafe and also buvujano. I assume that is a good thing?'

You said you're getting these at "startup". I take that mean immediately after starting up your system. (??) Where is the alert coming from? A program you have installed? I wouldn't be so quick to say it's "a good thing". Are you experiencing any of your previous problems?

I would run Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware again. And also try scanning with SUPERAntiSpyware FREE Edition.

One other thing to try is an online scanner such as:
F-Secure Online Scanner.
You'll need to use Internet Explorer with Active X enabled, in order to run it.

Do you have anything like CCleaner installed? If not, I would run that too. The instructions are here.

Other than the fact that you posted in an Antivirus 2009 thread, we don't know anything about your (specific) problem. It makes it difficult to suggest something more specific. Hopefully, one of the above suggestions will help.

Collapse -
popups, popups galore
by gpoole777 / November 26, 2008 9:51 AM PST
In reply to: You're welcome..

Running Windows XP. I downloaded Malwarebytes and thought my problems were over. However, today I'm getting webpages opening anytime I try to open something in my browser. Even when I open my browser, instead of going to Yahoo it will go ahead first and open up some other site like Yellow Pages (it just opened one then).
Thanks for you help.

Collapse -
As you can see the "message" wasn't .. " a good thing" ;)
by Carol~ Forum moderator / November 26, 2008 11:37 AM PST
In reply to: popups, popups galore

You never did mention exactly what your original problem was. Did you run the scans mentioned in my previous post? Were the scans clean? If not, what did the reports indicate?

Something you might check, only because some infected with Antivirus 2009, found the below to be a contributing factor to their problems. It's more of a shot in the dark, than anything else, at this point. The information and background you've given is "scant".

-Go to Start > Control Panel > System > Hardware > Device Manager > View > Show Hidden Devices.
-Scroll down to ?Non-plug and Play Drivers? and click the plus icon to open those drivers.
-Then search for ?TDSSserv.sys?
-IF it's there, right click on it, and select ?Disable?. (NOT uninsatll)

Also, have a look at the entire page, to include the files listed at the bottom.
How to remove Antivirus 2009 (Uninstall Instructions)

In lieu of making any further suggestions, it would help to have a little more background information. To include the answers to the first questions asked.

Collapse -
Need antivirus help
by tiomartin / December 31, 2008 11:13 PM PST

Hi Carol,

After reading some of your post, it is obvious to me you are knowledgable and here to help.

I am looking for free antivirus programs for my laptop computer but, from the reviews I've read, they are missing important aspects or they slow down the computer or it won't boot up, etc... I am assuming there are no good free version (No free lunch, right?) I had Norton Everything edition on my old computer and it was killed by a trojan. I no longer trust Norton

I have windows vista (I don't remember how to find which version) I'm used to XP which is on my desktop.

I know you will need more info than I've given here but , I will need help to get to it.

I have AVG on my desktop. It cost an arm and a leg but it seems to be working. Is there anything cheaper that works?

Collapse -
Re: Need Antivirus Help
by Carol~ Forum moderator / January 2, 2009 8:35 AM PST
In reply to: Need antivirus help

"I am looking for free antivirus programs for my laptop computer but, from the reviews I've read, they are missing important aspects or they slow down the computer or it won't boot up, etc... I am assuming there are no good free version (No free lunch, right?)"

If you're asking my opinion, I would say the above is not necessarily true. (There are some good "free lunches", in my opinion. It depends upon where you go to eat. And what you wish to eat. Silly ) You specify some are "missing important aspects", but haven't mentioned what those missing aspects are. You also mentioned AVG "costs an arm and a leg". Am I to presume, the free version of AVG is missing some of what you're looking for?

Have you looked into Avast's free version? Unfortunately, I can't speak from experience, since I don't use Vista, nor have I tried Avast. That said, I've read of many satisfied Avast user's.

I ran a search for "Vista Anti-Virus" at our Windows Vista Forum, and came up with quite a few pages of threads, where user's have given their opinions of different A/V's. It may help.

Marty, I may not be the right person to ask, when it comes to "which is better/best". We all have different opinions of what "best" incorporates. A good example being, while you say some "aspects are missing", I may not feel those aspects are as important. (Whatever they may be) Additionally, you may feel a suite is important, while I've created my own suite, in that I've installed only an A/V and added separate applications to cover what might be in a suite. It all boils down to personal opinion.

Sorry I can't be of more help. Sad You might consider posting in the Vista forum and see what results you get there.

Collapse -
antivirus 2009
by bodiddley81 / January 5, 2009 4:39 AM PST

Hello, I was unfortunate enough to have got the antivirus 2008 virus and now i have the 2009 one i have read your previous post on using malwarebytes but i am experiencing some problems.

Firstly i already had mbam on my system from last time but i was unable to open it i have changed the name of the files as instructed but i still cant open it. i have down loaded it again onto a usb device i had problems installing it so agin i changed the name of the file i have managed to install it but again i cant open it i have changed the name by going to properties then find target but again it will not open i would be very gratefull of any help you could offer.

Collapse -
Did you also change.........
by Marianna Schmudlach / January 5, 2009 4:49 AM PST

the MBAM folder ( C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware) and rename the "mbam.exe" file within the folder? Doubleclick on the "renamed" file.

Collapse -
antivirus 2009
by bodiddley81 / January 5, 2009 4:59 AM PST

i cant find a specific file with the name mbam.exe i think im gonna cry lol

Collapse -
Removing Antivirus 2009 (Virus)
by questmore / January 9, 2009 4:09 AM PST

on XP, I went to Start, Help and Support, Restore Computer to Earlier Date and chose a date before the problem showed up. Walked away for several hours and when I returned all was OK. Good luck.

Collapse -
Just perform a Windows System Restore...
by gpenegar / January 21, 2009 12:45 AM PST

A friend called me recently after he had been infected by antivirus 2009. I tried all of the recommended methods to remove the program with little success. However, we simply did a system restore to a week earlier and all was fine after that.

Collapse -
Att. bodiddley81
by Marianna Schmudlach / January 5, 2009 5:09 AM PST

In "what" did you change the mbam.exe ? Can you find the "renamed" file in \Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware ?

Collapse -
Avast Antivirus
by Gander56 / January 7, 2009 12:38 AM PST

I have Avast Antivirus running on my Vista computer since June 2008 and ran it for a few years before on XP and have never had a problem. I have installed it for a number of friends computers and they have had good luck with it. I am running Vista on two home computers, both have Avast running.

Collapse -
antivirus 2009
by armitage70 / January 25, 2009 11:11 AM PST

I installed antivirus 2009 and had some music still coming on my computer. The only way I could stop the music was to restore my computer to an earlier date and then the antivirus 2009 was removed.
I paid for it and an extra 15 dollars for the upgrades.

how do I get it back and if I can't how do I get my money back.

Richard L Armitage

Collapse -
by Nosmo179 / January 25, 2009 9:41 PM PST

I am sorry to hear that. How did you pay? If it was by a Credit Card you have some pretty strong laws that may help you, you will just have to do the work submitting data that supports your position.

They caught me, too. I paid $79 - used my wife's VISA, but as I looked at the PAID for page that showed after I click the Complete Order button, I had a sick feeling that I just got caught...

I was lucky since the virus was on the desktop and my laptop was up and running. As I had the receipt on the desktop screen I use my laptop to Google AV2009 and immediately found a link to this forum - the links short text said all I had to know - BAD things are happening to me...

Immediately she called her credit card company and told them what happened and they put a HOLD on that bill. We now have a form to fill out as to why we should win this dispute.

All the standard items they have on the form about why we are disputing it and what happened - all ask for WHEN you called the company to tell them to terminate the transaction. We never called as we couldn't find a number to call or an email address to send to. I in one of hikergirl's posts, in this forum, she said that she got a number from the credit card company and made called only to get a message machine. She never got a reply.

So, I wish you well and, if I remember, I will post how your dispute ends up.

Thanks to all for being here and such a great help!

Collapse -
Re: antivirus 2009
by Carol~ Forum moderator / January 26, 2009 8:58 PM PST

In your last sentence you asked, "how do I get it back and if I can't how do I get my money back", after having lost Antivirus 2009 when using System Restore. I just wanted to be sure you understood, you shouldn't want it back. Simply put, the program is a "scam". It's why you see so many posts in this thread (and other's), asking how to remove it. You might benefit from reading, "Anatomy of a Malware Scam".

As "Nosmo179" and other's suggested, try calling your credit card company (ASAP). Explain what happened, and see if there's any way they can help.

Best of luck..

Collapse -
SOS Carol
by archjhawk / February 20, 2009 12:16 PM PST

Can you PLEASE help me? Ever since my laptop was contaminated with Antivirus 2009, I can't get it clean. It blocks Malwarebytes' AntiMalware through download.com. It won't let me click on your links for setup. I can't update any antivirus programs that I have tried, which include: Norton Antivirus and AVG. It's like installing something new enough to erase Antivirus 2009 is blocked by Antivirus 2009. It's driving me NUTS! PLEASE can you help me?!

Collapse -
Antivirus 2009
by techservices24 / March 8, 2009 8:36 PM PDT

you need to delete the internet temporary files and temp, %temp%, prefetch files from your computer.

Collapse -
Antivirus 2009
by mst7795 / March 31, 2009 1:20 AM PDT

Just to let anyone know that has thought they lost money from this scam, I went to my bank and with a copy of my bank statement and I printed a list of the complaints from this forum and they are refunding my money. I had to cancel my debit card, but they didn't make me cancel my account and start a new, which is great. I hope anyone who is discouraged finds this useful.

Collapse -
I encountered the same exact issue as well
by f4m45 / December 17, 2008 4:58 AM PST
In reply to: popups, popups galore

I just had this pop-up issue since a few days ago. I've run a2square, symantec, ad-aware, bitdefender, and malwarebytes -- but to no success! If you managed to get rid of the issue, please let me know how to fix it. I googled for a while and got no results, it's just pure luck that I happened to read this thread AND read your post!

Thanks in advance! I appreciate any help -- I'm a bit frustrated at this thing.

Collapse -
dis TDSSserv.sys, or try spyhunter or avira
by phttraveler / December 18, 2008 10:38 AM PST

I had the same issue even though I did not click the link. The trojan crippled McAfee, allowed Adaware, disabled MSFT update and regedit, disallowed spybotsd, mbam, combofix to run. I tried Avira System Recovery Rescue CD, did not work for me (work for some previously). Perhapse the newer verion will work, they update a few times a day. I was able to download Spyhunter from another PC and transfer to infected PC. It ran, detected a root tool kit, disable it, rebooted my PC. The free verion will detect but not remove, but it disabled the trojan so I can update and run mbam and spybotsd (some suggest also Superantispyware). That seemed to fix my problem. I also noticed TDSSserv.sys was disabled, so maybe that was where the trojan was hiding.

Collapse -
I feels better that I am not alone in this malware battle
by Nosmo179 / December 31, 2008 9:28 PM PST

I too have been having a hard time removing this nasty lump of coal. I have tried several removal recommendations and am trying all the stuff here now. I have done the first MalwareBytes scan and rebooted, more later...

Thanks for being there and thanks to CNET for being such a trusted site making it easy to come here once I saw the location.

Happy New Year to all.

Nosmo (not soft s, but hard z)

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.