Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

HELP! Wireless Internet Continuously Disconnects/Reconnects!

by jonline / August 18, 2006 3:18 PM PDT

I am on a Sony VAIO RB-34G desktop running Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 SP2. I am connected to a 2Wire (AT&T) HomePortal 1000SW wireless gateway and a EN104TP Netgear hub viaa Linksys External USB Wireless Network Adapter model #WUSB54AG.

This computer disconnects and reconnects contantly, without warning. It could be as little as 5 seconds, or as much as a day between each of these disconnects. It reconnects within about 15 seconds. The odd thing is that when it reconnects and even just before it disconnects, it has a "Very Good" signal strength. I have tried many things and I'm not sure what else to do.

The thing is, I have several wireless computers on this computer, and none of them ever have any trouble with this. I would greatly appreciate any assistance in how to get this computer to STAY connected. It is not very easy to do things such as streaming, instant messaging, uploading, downloading, etc. when the wireless internet continually drops. Any prompt help would be nice. Thanks in advance.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HELP! Wireless Internet Continuously Disconnects/Reconnects!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HELP! Wireless Internet Continuously Disconnects/Reconnects!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -

You may be getting your disassociation because you are being interferred by another nearby access point. Make sure you are only using a unique channel (there are only three of them for 802.11b: 1, 6, 11--all the others overlap and can interfere).

Collapse -
Channel or something else?
by jonline / August 19, 2006 2:32 AM PDT
In reply to: disassociation

I'm on channel 6. Should I try a different channel? Other suggestions?

Also, this just started happening recently. There have benn no major hardware changes. I do not have problems like this with any other computer on the network.

Collapse -
ch 6 is ok
by anon user 95014 / August 19, 2006 5:52 AM PDT

no, channel 6 is ok, since it is unique. Back to my original suggestion, are there nearby neighbors that may have a an access point that is interfering with you. The airwaves are purposefully unregulated, so there is not much you can do if there is a nearby access point that uses the same channel.

Afterwards, the next thing I would have you do is take another of your computers that you say are working correctly and bring it next to your failing one. If both fail, then the problem is not caused by the your computer.

Collapse -
About channels.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 19, 2006 5:56 AM PDT

Easy to try 1 or 11 to see if someone has moved in nearby.

Collapse -
anything else?
by jonline / August 21, 2006 8:54 AM PDT
In reply to: About channels.

Is there anything else I can try besides changing the channel?

Collapse -
Just wondering.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 21, 2006 9:28 AM PDT
In reply to: anything else?

Why not change the channel?

Is there more to this story than revealed?

Collapse -
A couple mroe ideas
by t_s_h / August 24, 2006 11:05 PM PDT
In reply to: Just wondering.

You should also check and see if you're getting interference from cordless phones or other wireless radio soruces.

Phones that run in the 2.4Ghz range are notorious for interfering with wireless network connections. 900mhz phones do not interfere, but it's an older spec and less available these days. I believe, but I'm not "sure", that the newer 5Ghz phones should not interefe, at least as much. Maybe someone else can weigh-in on this...

Other sources include microwaves, wireless home-stereo speakers, etc.

Good luck!

Collapse -
i have a 2.4ghz phone
by phutoneus / May 13, 2007 3:25 PM PDT
In reply to: A couple mroe ideas

i have a 2.4ghz phone, is there a way to get around this without having to buy a new phone? thanks

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 14, 2007 1:55 AM PDT
In reply to: i have a 2.4ghz phone

Turn off the phone's base station...

Collapse -
Surprised no one has mentioned this..
by Mojo_58 / August 22, 2006 1:57 AM PDT

One thing that struck me. You have several other machines connected to the router and they don't have a problem with disconnections. This leads me to believe that your wireless network card drivers may need to be updated. Download the latest drivers and istall them. You may also want to check the power management.

Joe Fox

Collapse -
pwr mgmt could be a good one
by anon user 95014 / August 23, 2006 2:43 PM PDT

I am almost ready to second that. If pwr mgmt is on, then the laptop may be falling asleep. Although, now that I am writing this, I recall you saying that it disassociates sporadically. So, that may not be pwr mgmt after all.

Did you try the other things I recommended? I have been doing wireless for quite a few years and find that if one is mythodical, then one can get somewhere. If I (and others) are giving advice, then you really should respond yeah or nay, but not leave the suggestion as a black hole. Sad

Collapse -
Disconnection Issue...
by Fred Lane / August 24, 2006 6:10 AM PDT

I too have a home wireless network that utilizes a Motorola Cablem modem, a LinkSys Router, 2 laptops (IBM and Toshiba) with 2 LinkSys network adapter cards and have experienced the exact same issues you describe here. The laptop farthest from the router would perform just as you mentioned and at varying lengths of time. After much frustration and many service calls to my ISP Cox Communications, the laptop in question finally went down hard and wouldn't connect at all. At this point, I deleted the LinkSys software from my laptop and then placed a forth service call. When the technician arrived, he reloaded the LinkSys software and reset all of the settings and for some reason, this seems to have eliminated the problem at least for the last 2 weeks now. Hope this helps and I will let you know if this permanently fixes the problem.

Collapse -
by anon user 95014 / August 24, 2006 9:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Disconnection Issue...

TANSAAFL--or something like that. From a sci fi book of a long time ago: "There ain't no such thing as a free lunch."

I've been in networking for 20+ years and in wireless for 5+ years. I have found that if one buys industrial-grade products, then one rarely has problems.

When one buys low-end products, then problems like this surface more often than not.

I suggest you buy Cisco or Proxim or any other quality wireless product and skip the low-end stuff.

Surely your time is worth something, and not having a network connection probably has caused you no end of grief. My 2 cents worth.

Collapse -
Sony disconnect
by krsattler / August 24, 2006 8:36 PM PDT

I have had this trouble on my Sony TX 710. I went into the power management and changed it to the highest setting, and also increased the "stickiness" of the connection.

No trouble since then. I had detected another wireless connection in the vicinity. It was a "g" and my router is an older "b". The Sony wanted to go to the "g" over the stronger "b".

Collapse -
That happened to me and we fix it.
by medinag00 / August 25, 2006 3:14 AM PDT

Dell Laptop. Windows XP Pro but maybe can work for you.
Here is how we fix it:

1. Go to: Control Panel / Network connections / Wireless network connection
2. Select ?Wireless Networks? carpet.
3. Delete all unused ?Preferred networks? and sort as you want it.
4. Press ?Advanced? button.
5. Select ?Any available network (access point preferred)? & mark ?Automatically connect to non-preferred networks?.

That?s it.

Note. If you can?t see ?Wireless Networks? carpet, do this:

1. Close all
2. Go to: Control Panel / Administrative Tools / Services
3. Search for ?Wireless Zero Configuration? and start this service.

Good look.

Collapse -
Maybe Pre-N interference
by intelman2015 / August 25, 2006 3:20 AM PDT

I have also had problems recently with my G router and USB adapter. I found that when my wireless went down so did my wired PC.(wired to the wireless router)
After several calls to Netgear with no solution, I found an article that some Pre-N or MIMO routers can squash G signals similar to the older 2.4Ghz phones. Someone may have recently installed one in your neighborhood. Since they are "Pre" they do not follow IEEE standards. Once the IEEE SIG finalizes a standard, new MIMO 802.11N routers will not interfere. In the meantime I have no solution unless you can find the neighbor and offer to replace his router or get your own Pre-N

Collapse -
Linksys wireless G router
by gofgolf / August 25, 2006 4:16 AM PDT

Had the same frustrating problem with Linksys Wireless G router and network adapters. No help from Linksys technicians.
Said it was distance of receiver (~ 50'), Firewall, too high a security setting etc.
Finally bit the bullet and bought Belkin Pre-N router and
their wireless adapter --- faultless

Collapse -
by gofgolf / August 25, 2006 4:18 AM PDT

Had the same frustrating problem with Linksys Wireless G router and network adapters.I have the same computer and as you and used the same network adapter. No help from Linksys technicians.
Said it was distance of receiver (~ 50'), Firewall, too high a security setting etc.
Finally bit the bullet and bought Belkin Pre-N router and
their wireless adapter --- faultless

Collapse -
by offerocker / August 27, 2006 11:36 PM PDT

THANKS for that info!

I guess I'll just wait a month or so (even though they said 'weeks') for the Optical that they've put in. Had this problem for 2 years - was near the 'end of the line', also. Now, it's right across the street! ...we'll see

Collapse -
interference is the likely answer
by gnasher / August 25, 2006 6:59 AM PDT

I had this problem recently, with one machine disconnecting and reconnecting more than others (in fact the machine closest to the router, so the one with the best signal). After looking at old forum postings I first of all upgraded the firmware for the router (can do no harm anyway) then changed the channel from 11 to 3. I realised that the problems coincided with a new cordless phone (I had previously had another cordless phone which caused no problem) and one of the handsets was living close to the computer with the worst problem. Once I had changed the channel the problem went away. You only need to change the channel on the router if you use XP or have a Mac as they will search all channels. You need to reset the channel for your network card if you are using ME, but that is a matter of seconds.

Collapse -
ch. 3 will bite you
by anon user 95014 / August 25, 2006 1:31 PM PDT

You mentioned going from ch. 11 to 3. On the one hand, that may have fixed the problem with a cordless phone interfering on that channel, but you really need to select a unique channel and not an overlapping channel.

Channels 1, 6, and 11 are unique--as far as WiFi is concerned, so you should select one of them. All remaining channels: 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 9, 10 will overlap and will eventually cause you problems.

Since the cell phone was interfering with ch. 11, then you should pick 1 or 6 to "get away from the cell phone" and ch. 3 will eventually bite you.

Collapse -
ch. 3 will bite you
by highplainsdox / September 3, 2006 6:20 AM PDT
In reply to: ch. 3 will bite you

Best to get out of the 2.4gHz band altogether with the cordless. Depending on how tightly the phone controls its frequency, it may not help to just change the channel on the network/adapters. I recommend using cordless phones of 5.8gHz with a 2.4gHz wireless network.

Collapse -
by Reinl / August 25, 2006 8:41 AM PDT

Collapse -
Sounds oh so familiar
by SpamFighter / August 28, 2006 12:35 AM PDT

I was really wracking my brain to solve the problem. I considered the cordless phones, but noticed I didn't always loose connection when cordless phone was in use, but after a could of weeks scratching my head & trying everything, I realized it was the cordless phone. It seems members of my family like to stroll around the house while talking on the cordless phone and every time someone walked between where my computer was and where the router was mounted on the wall, I lost my connection! If someone lays the phone down on a table in the signal path, all it had to do was ring to cut me off. I bought some newer 5.8 phones, but my husband really liked the old phone & wouldn't give it up, so we had to compromise, he must sit in one spot while on the phone & stop pacing the floor while talking!

Collapse -
Cordless Phone
by highplainsdox / September 3, 2006 6:10 AM PDT

If you're using cordless phones in the area on the same frequency range, it will disconnect you when you are using the phone. IOW, if your wireless adapter is using the 2.4gHz range, and your cordless phone is, too - there is a big conflict. I had to change my phones to 5.8gHz to stop the problem.

Before I changed, every time I took the cordless "off hook", my 1000SW would not talk to my LinkSys WUSB11b.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.