Tablets forum

Question

Help, which tablets are compatible with Microsoft office

by kaptiv / March 5, 2013 2:00 AM PST

I'm trying to establish which of the BEST tablets out there are business friendly. I just need to be able to create, modify docs in word and excel as well as pdfs (adobe). I dont need much more than that or I would look towards the ultra book lines?

Can anyone advise which are options and/or the best when considering the usual tablet features including great entertainment features.

many thanks

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help, which tablets are compatible with Microsoft office
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help, which tablets are compatible with Microsoft office
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
You had me till PDFs.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 5, 2013 2:04 AM PST

Microsoft Office comes with Windows 8 RT tablets so that's a done deal. But since you can only install apps from the Microsoft Store on that tablet you have to check out what PDF creation/editing is available.

If you move to the Windows 8 Pro tablets then you can use what you use on your current laptops.
If you consider Windows 7 tablets, same choices.

Why a tablet for this? I don't see the attraction given the price you'll pay.
Bob

Collapse -
super portability, entertainment value etc
by kaptiv / March 5, 2013 2:20 AM PST
In reply to: You had me till PDFs.

Thanks Bob,

I may be wrong but it seems like the tablets are cheaper alternatives to the ultra books or super portable computers? I will be traveling a ton and want the tablet for entertainment and portability yet need some of those basic business functions for work. Probably 80-20% entertainment and portability to work use. I'm open to all ideas and suggestions.

I have been pouring over reviews and the windows reviews have been mixed. wondering what other options may be available. for instance, I just read that the Samsung GT-N8013-EA32 Galaxy Note 32GB 10.1 with Wi-Fi supports word, excel, pdf doc types and am wondering if this means editing as well as viewing? and if there are more out there that allow these functions.

many thanks

Collapse -
I have a few Android tablets here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 5, 2013 2:26 AM PST

And none compare with what we do on Microsoft Office. You didn't reveal you were going to be OK without the real Office as well as all the other issues.

Sure you can do some editing but since the Android tablets don't have printer drivers, the fonts and well, you need a course in how Word renders to the page to understand you can't get there on Android today. I'm sure the fanboys will arrive to counter that but hey, it's your money. Many folk buy their first and blow up over this area.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Again. Fails at so many points.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 5, 2013 2:37 AM PST

PDF? Read a common back and forth at http://forums.androidcentral.com/android-applications/215037-app-editing-marking-up-pdf-files-tablet.html

Editing? No. Markup is possible but that's not EDITING!

"Microsoft Office" Again, a lot of definition about that is required. You can't get a good page view because there is no exact replication of the system that is used to do that. This is why we're back to Windows (or Linux, Apple MacOSX) to get the real features.

I can get a great laptop for 399 today. I still need to buy office or use LibreOffice but unless you are going to admit you don't need to edit those documents as you did on a PC, a tablet will just upset you.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Suggetions
by debijg / March 13, 2013 5:09 PM PDT

There are the lots of companies offer the different types of tablets with the different limit of GBS and the slightly different options and facilities of software and programs but in any tablet you can use micro soft office for the making of documents and adobe for the reading.

Collapse -
That's certainly not true.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 13, 2013 5:57 PM PDT
In reply to: Suggetions

MS Office doesn't run on most tablets, only in Windows 8 tablets.

Kees

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.