Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

HELP Which portable dvr should I get?

by kip robinson / November 20, 2007 5:20 PM PST

Somebody please help me. I have a helmet cam and want to record with it. On ebay I saw a set up using the phillips 30GB dvr. I have also been looking at the archos dvr. Which would provide me with the best video recording while riding my dirtbike. I just dont know if the archos is compatible with any helmet cam besides their own. Is the phillips a decent device?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HELP Which portable dvr should I get?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HELP Which portable dvr should I get?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
connection
by JonTitor / November 20, 2007 10:08 PM PST

what kind of connection does the helmet cam use? Composite?
also it would help to tell the model. I didn't see a philips 30GB DVR, and Archos has only one DVR which isn't even out yet (though you might be talking about a pvp)

Collapse -
Helmet cam connection
by kip robinson / November 24, 2007 3:14 PM PST
In reply to: connection

Sorry it took a few days to respond. My helmet cam is connected by RCA's . Its a Hoytech 480. I have recorded with it before using a camcorder but it is annoying carrying around a big bulky backpack while riding my dirtbike. I was just wanting to know how the quality was for video that had been recorded using external devices. Thanks. Oh yaeh I was talking about a pvp too. Im pretty new to those

Collapse -
solution
by JonTitor / November 25, 2007 9:17 AM PST
In reply to: Helmet cam connection

you can get the Archos player and it's travel DVR accessory
it'll let you hook up your helmet cam and record

Collapse -
Archos - not so great
by fitzsimj / November 29, 2007 3:29 AM PST
In reply to: solution

I have an Archos 405 (records to solid-state memory, so there's no harddrive to crash), the travel dock (so that you can feed it audio/video), and a 520-line bullet camera from StuntCams.com.

The video recorded by the Archos, even at it's highest (2500kbps) rate, is pretty bad. It looks good if you're moving slowly, but when it comes to fast-paced movement, the compression is just too high.

If you're currently using a DV (tape) camera, which uses MPEG-2 compression, I think you'll be disappointed by the Digital Video Recorders which are using MPEG-4/DivX.

Collapse -
What about portable HDD DVRs?
by dannym88 / December 13, 2007 11:09 AM PST
In reply to: Archos - not so great

I've seen on ebay and other places that you can now get a portable USB2 hard drive enclosure WITH a built-in DVR. The 2.5" drive version comes in a fairly manageable size. I'd need to rig up a battery but the camera already has a batt, it's just a matter of making it a bit larger and adding a reg. The one-touch recording would be a dream come true.

For me, this sounds ideal. I can't deal with the MPEG compression on action videos. However... these ads mention MPEG-4 compression! I certainly don't want that, the whole point of putting a big drive on there is to allow MPEG2 compression. MPEG2 is the low-artifact, very large file size format used in miniDV and DVDs. Does anyone know if these recorders can also do mp2? These aren't mainstream products you can get at Fry's yet so the ads are pretty bad and the products are not well reviewed.

Collapse -
Sony
by sarahriser / November 29, 2007 5:47 AM PST

I would suggest Sony disks as they seem great and I havce never had any problems.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.