Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

Help! Which MP3 player is best?

by TechnoDummy / May 1, 2007 12:47 PM PDT

I've been thinking about getting an MP3 player but I can't figure out which one to get. I want the highest quality everything for as little as possible. I intend on using the MP3 player in the car with headphones (it'll replace my, oh so outdated, portable CD player). I would like decent sound quality, at least 2GB memory and some sort of display screen. Of course I would love to have more features, but they're not really necassary.

I was looking at the Creative Zen V Plus 2GB MP3 Video Player because it has so many features and a relatively low price (under $100) but then I started to see a lot of negative reviews about it and about Zens in general. I'm also considering the SanDisk Sansa c250 2GB Photo MP3 Player, it has a lot of features for such a small player and at such a low price (around $90). I was also looking at the Philips GoGear 6GB Photo MP3 Player, HDD1630, the thing I find most attractive about this MP3 player is that it's 6GB and only about $20 more than the Zen. But I was reading reviews of it and a few of them talked about it being slowing and other problems. Are any of these a good choice? Which is the best?

I was just hoping some of you people that know more about MP3 players or have tried them could help me make the best decision possible. I'm more than happy to look into other MP3 players (other than the ones I've listed above) if you know of better ones.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help! Which MP3 player is best?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help! Which MP3 player is best?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Creative Zen Microphoto.
by per89son / May 1, 2007 3:43 PM PDT

I have that mp3 player absolutely love it. Never have had a problem with it, I wish the battery could last a little longer but its fine for what I use if for.

Collapse -
Meizu miniplayer
by Austin_is_cool_2007 / May 2, 2007 1:13 PM PDT

Look up the Meizu M6 miniplayer. It is a great, inexpensive DAP (digital audio player). It is very customizable and can even play videos! You can find them cheep on ebay ($90-$150).

Collapse -
MP3 player
by TsumiAM91 / May 3, 2007 11:22 AM PDT

I had an IRiver h10 but stay away from it due to its navigation. The insignia video player is good and so is the sandisk Sansa E200 series and the C200 series. I personally have a zen vision:m but its a bit too much of a tank for what it seems that you want. Stay away from the phillips btw.

Collapse -
Sansa c250 vs c200?
by TechnoDummy / May 4, 2007 1:27 PM PDT
In reply to: MP3 player

Is there a difference between the Sansa c250 and c200 series?

Collapse -
not really
by ktreb / May 4, 2007 3:38 PM PDT
In reply to: Sansa c250 vs c200?

As far as I know, there actually isn't a c200 model available. It's just the series name. There are currently 2 models in the c200 series. The difference is in their capacity. The c240 is 1GB and the c250 is 2GB.

Collapse -
Some more questions...
by TechnoDummy / May 4, 2007 6:28 PM PDT

I'm now also considering the Sansa e260 4 GB MP3 Player with SD Expansion Slot. It seems like a good buy, through amazon.com it's like $119 and tons of features. I like the fact that I can add more memory, it has a medal back and a user replaceable battery. Is it any good? The thing that worries me about it is, do I have to use my laptop to charge it? I plan on taking a roadtrip for a week or so this summer and I don't plan on bringing my laptop with. I've looked around and I'm not sure if I can use a wall or car adapter with it. I did find a charger combo at http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000LF642C/sr/ref=pd_cp_e_1/103-6335027-0389413?ie=UTF8&qid=1178350341&sr=1-7&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-41&pf_rd_r=14647ZYE7WJFR1D02XRS&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_p=250314601&pf_rd_i=B000O26GJS but I don't know if it is actually safe or effective to use with the player. If I can't charge the player on the road it's not going to be very useful.

Collapse -
by tcd311 / May 7, 2007 1:47 PM PDT

Collapse -
go here
by drummerdude08 / May 8, 2007 5:21 AM PDT
Collapse -
Zens are the best players.
by tcardone05 / May 9, 2007 3:12 PM PDT

Both the ZV:M and the V Plus have CNET Editor's Choice awards. I personally own a V Plus 2GB and my friends are constantly amazed at how cool the player is. I got mine for $69. Plus most problems with the Zens are easily solved, see the forums at epiZENter.net and see how some of the owners complained when there was a simple fix. I could probably tell you the solution to every problem with the Zen Vision:M if you ask the question.

Collapse -
Zen Vision M Problem
by lavern / May 16, 2007 4:48 AM PDT

So how do you get the screen to turn off while listening without haveing to lock the thing. That is my biggest complaint. It really drains the battery. I dont want to have to unlock it everytime I want to navigate the thing.

Collapse -
Thanks for the advice
by TechnoDummy / May 11, 2007 8:37 AM PDT

I ended up deciding on the SanDisk Sansa e270 6GB.

Here's what tipped the scale in favor of the Sansa e270:
- metal back: most of the players I was considering were all plastic, and all of my friends said not to waist money on anything that wasn't metal because, no metal=break/crack
- user replaceable battery: this means when the battery doesn't work anymore I can just buy a new battery instead of a new MP3 player, seems to be a fairly rare feature in player this size
- Memory expansion slot: the Sansa e200 series allows you to buy 2gb memory cards that you can insert into the player, so my 6gb could become a 8gb. I didn't see a feature like this on any other players. I have to say I have read several user reviews that complain that every time you turn the player on when you have one of these cards in it takes the player like 10 minutes to load the card in. But I doubt I'll ever actually use one, but it's nice to have the option. Also the slot doesn't have a door or a 'fake' memory card, so dust and dirt may be able to get into the player there, I'll try to figure out a way of covering it.
- Overall better reviews: I almost got the Zen but so many of the reviews were sooooo bad. I'm sure that most people have good luck with them, but I'm one of those people that always has the problems, so I figured I go with a device that doesn't seem to have many problems for anyone.
- A Crap Load of Features: FM radio, pictures, video, record the radio, built in mic so you can record stuff, etc
-At the time I ordered it, the 6gb was the same price as the 4gb, so why not go for the bigger memory.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.