Computer Help

Resolved Question

Help w/ switching HDMI audio through TV to PC speaker audio

by ChuTM / December 22, 2012 5:31 AM PST

Hello,

I have my TV hooked via HDMI to my PC which works fine. When I go to switch the audio under the playback tab to PC speakers, which is hooked up, it will not play unless I log off and back on. The work around I have is switching the default device, logging off and logging back on and either device will work fine, it's just kind of a pain. It used to work and one day just stopped.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you!

ChuTM has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer »
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help w/ switching HDMI audio through TV to PC speaker audio
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help w/ switching HDMI audio through TV to PC speaker audio
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer as chosen by ChuTM

Collapse -
Sounds like driver issues.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 22, 2012 5:35 AM PST

My laptop was fine with this but the laptop comes with the OS and the drivers all figured out. You need to talk to this PC's maker about drivers.
Bob

Collapse -
PS. There is also an issue with HDCP, 5.1 sound.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 22, 2012 5:36 AM PST

But I'm sure you've heard, read all about that. For now, stick to stereo to avoid a trip through the swamp.
Bob

Collapse -
Device Manager
by ChuTM / December 22, 2012 5:53 AM PST

Device manager shows everything is working, all drivers up to date. They both will work, just not when I switch back and forth, but it used too. I built the PC by the way.

Specs:

AMD Phenon 8750 Tri-Core 2.4Ghz
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti
8GB RAM

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1

Only thing listed in Other Devices in Device Manager is "Coprocessor"

Thanks for the reply

Collapse -
So it's a driver bug?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 22, 2012 6:07 AM PST
In reply to: Device Manager

I'll take your word it's up to date. Now back to the maker of what audio solution is on there and if it's onboard you call the motherboard maker and ask if they have a fix.

I've seen this before and we change motherboards when the drivers are buggy. Our clients will not accept a machine with such a bug.
Bob

Collapse -
Thank you
by ChuTM / December 22, 2012 6:11 AM PST
In reply to: So it's a driver bug?

Ah yes, I forgot the Motherboard is an EVGA, pretty nice board for $100 bucks, but I will try that, thanks for the help.

Collapse -
There are other audio cards (or sound cards.)
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 22, 2012 6:26 AM PST
In reply to: Thank you

There is a deep issue with content protection of HD audio and video that means what is happening to you could indeed be the driver writer hit a wall and could not do this sort of switch on the fly.

You see similar brick walls in updates to the OS. (reboot to install)
Bob

Collapse -
Fixed :)
by ChuTM / December 22, 2012 9:08 AM PST

Thanks for the help Proffitt, of course something as simple a drive update (guess they were up to date Happy On the website for my motherboard listed 6 audio driver updates over the past year. All fixed, thank you again!

Collapse -
Device Manager
by ChuTM / December 22, 2012 9:10 AM PST
In reply to: Fixed :)

Guess I should not trust Windows saying they are up to date. It would be nice if that function actually worked.

Collapse -
I took your word on that up to date.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 22, 2012 10:32 AM PST
In reply to: Device Manager

Windows driver update has not been reliable since, well, never.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.