Computer Help forum

Question

Help w/ making monitor also work as TV

by saby0906 / August 12, 2013 1:56 PM PDT

I'm just gonna dive right in here so bare with me. So i just bought an Asus vh238h monitor mainly to game on but I really want to be able to use it as tv in my room too. here are the ports it has http://www.gamersbudget.com/wp-content/gallery/vh238h/vh238h-ports.png
the cable box would only be one of those small digital adapters with only a coax cable in and out of it. i had an idea but had no idea if it would work. i was thinking of using a coax cable splitter on the output one and then attaching this
http://www.9mart.com/products/BNC-to-RCA-RG59-Coaxial-Converter-Cable-16.5-Ft.html
to one end and inputting it into the spdif port and then this http://www.discountofficeitems.com/technology/networking-cables/cables-hubs-connectors-switches/connector-cables/startech-coax-hd15-rgbhv-monitor-cable/p151832.html?ref=pla&device=c&network=g&matchtype=&cid=ad-pla-non-brand+&gclid=CLO2jOOF-bgCFZFFMgodHU8AvA to the other open slot and into the vga input. my main question is would it work and what of those 5 coaxes would i plug it into from the splitter

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help w/ making monitor also work as TV
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help w/ making monitor also work as TV
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
misc. clarifying
by saby0906 / August 13, 2013 6:46 AM PDT

My regular tv is hooked up directly with just a coax cable. I do not want to get a different box because it would be much more costly and I do not need all those channels or full hd in my room. The monitor only has an hdmi, dvi, vga, 3.5 audio, and an spdif port. I want to keep the coax only box but still hook it up to my monitor to watch tv. vga and dvi are visual only ports. spdif is audio i believe. that is why I am asking if I use a splitter and two separate converter cables if this woul succeed in giving me both audio and visual without having to pay more for a different cable box or having to buy a separate third party converter box.

Collapse -
There are no "convertor" cables.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 13, 2013 6:49 AM PDT
In reply to: misc. clarifying

Since it's just coax we need a tuner so that takes power and more. This can upset those that think a cable/splitter is all that is required.
Bob

Collapse -
tuner really necessary?
by saby0906 / August 13, 2013 6:54 AM PDT

wouldn't the cable box which is technically called a digital transmitter adapter act as the tuner and allow me to use just the splitter and linked cables to play tv on my monitor? I'm not using a PC whatsoever in which you would need a tuner card and what not, I just want to use the monitor alone plus the digital transmitter adapter and converter cables.

Collapse -
You wrote it's COAX
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 13, 2013 6:59 AM PDT

So the signal at that point is not in shape for VGA or much else. I have seen folk buy those cables and flame everyone about it didn't work.

What's not funny is the seller might tell you about "settings" or "drivers."

Let's try this another way. What does Comcast or a store tell you?
Bob

Collapse -
I know it's COAX
by saby0906 / August 13, 2013 7:04 AM PDT
In reply to: You wrote it's COAX

as this states, http://www.discountofficeitems.com/technology/networking-cables/cables-hubs-connectors-switches/connector-cables/startech-coax-hd15-rgbhv-monitor-cable/p151832.html?ref=pla&device=c&network=g&matchtype=&cid=ad-pla-non-brand+&gclid=CLO2jOOF-bgCFZFFMgodHU8AvA, wouldn't it turn the signal coming from the coax to a readable signal for the vga port through one side of the splitter and then this,
http://www.9mart.com/products/BNC-to-RCA-RG59-Coaxial-Converter-Cable-16.5-Ft.html, as the audio into the spdif from the other open slot of the splitter and allow me to obtain both audio and video simultaneously? this is what I am asking.

Collapse -
I guess you want the blunt answer.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 13, 2013 7:09 AM PDT
In reply to: I know it's COAX

No.

Collapse -
have you tried?
by saby0906 / August 13, 2013 7:17 AM PDT

do you know from experience or are you just speculating that it would not work

Collapse -
Not speculating.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 13, 2013 7:29 AM PDT
In reply to: have you tried?

I had Comcast recently and the signal on the COAX will not work out with said cables.

I'm an electronics designer with work in DVRs and more.

I fear you want to know why it won't work but how deep a rabbit hole is that? Let's sum it up. If the sellers won't assure you, and folk here write no, what more do we need to do?
Bob

Collapse -
That's the problem,
by Oldartq / August 13, 2013 2:13 PM PDT
In reply to: misc. clarifying

they got us hooked and the only way not to pay is not to watch. All these cable you shown won't do you much good. A splitter might do something but it may not be what you like though. You will still need a tuner for the monitor and you be watching the something as the other tv because the channel tuning is control by the box only. I feel the same way as you do. I didn't want to pay so now I don't watch cable..just Netflix instead.

Collapse -
Misunderstood
by saby0906 / August 13, 2013 3:19 PM PDT
In reply to: That's the problem,

I am not trying to use both tvs at once. The splitter would be to have both video and audio because VGA and dvi are both video only so I would need another cable to plug into the monitor to hear the station and not just see it. The monitor has hdcp support so it can play tv if I understand that correctly.

Collapse -
well whats stopping you?
by itsdigger / August 13, 2013 3:45 PM PDT
In reply to: Misunderstood

go buy what you think you need . Go get it !

Collapse -
Idk about that
by saby0906 / August 13, 2013 11:02 PM PDT

I'm not sure if I wanna drop another$30 on stuff that won't work and that I wouldn't end up returning. I'm a college kid. I need just about every dime I've got

Collapse -
I agree but
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 14, 2013 1:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Idk about that

When folk won't take no for the answer you find yourself telling them to go ahead and learn the other way. By doing. Some lessons or answers can't be answered any other way at times.

Again, cables won't do this.
Bob

Collapse -
I have Comcast also
by itsdigger / August 14, 2013 1:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Idk about that

and just a couple of weeks ago and swapped out two boxes with hdmi connections and it didn't cost me anything more. Did you ask them yet?

Collapse -
What you said is correct, but....
by Oldartq / August 14, 2013 7:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Misunderstood

that's not the issue here. The thing here is the monitor has vga, dvi, and hdmi connectors and the coax output from the BOX will not go in any of the monitor connection. You need something in between that will make this work and I can assure you the connectors you have linked WILL NOT WORK. You need a CONVERTER of some kind, not just an adapter (and that's what those cables are). I know you said the coax cable comes out of the box but are there other connection/s on the box that's not being use? I'll stop here until I get your reply.

Collapse -
Box has 4 ports
by saby0906 / August 14, 2013 10:08 AM PDT

The "digital transport adapter" has a ant in from the wall to the box, a cable out for the box to the tv, a power port, and a irf or whatever to hook up a dongle to allow you to use the remote at angles where the box isn't accessible to it.

Collapse -
As noted above.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 14, 2013 10:33 AM PDT
In reply to: Box has 4 ports

When a client doesn't get it, it's usually best to tell them to buy what they think will work. It's been laid out a few times so far but my thought here is this time is going to be the school of hard knocks and an emptier wallet.
Bob

Collapse -
To R. Proffitt
by saby0906 / August 14, 2013 11:32 AM PDT
In reply to: As noted above.

Bob, please stop posting negative responses and responses all together. I get what you think will happen but I do not think you fully comprehend what I am trying to achieve and even if you do you thinking you're smarter and better then everyone else here doesn't help anyone. I want multiple opinions. Not just yours to be end all be all. Sorry I don't completely agree with you or was hoping for someone else to tell me different. I understand the fact that it's an analog signal and vga is a digital signal but when it goes into the "digital transport adapter" wouldn't it essentially be the same as using a third party tuner or converter and that changes the signal for me and then I can use the splitter and the digital adapters on the cable out port after the signal has been converted? I understand the cables do not do the converting but isn't that what the box is for. The cables would ideally just allow me to plug the signal into a port my monitor actually has. Not change the signal.

Collapse -
I'll track this as
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 14, 2013 12:11 PM PDT
In reply to: To R. Proffitt

It's always interesting to see how it turns out.

I'm not being negative here. This is an effort to save you from buying stuff that should not work.

Some members get upset because they want folk to tell them it will work and they can't get that.

Are you getting positive "it will work" answers here or anywhere?
Bob

Collapse -
Not trying to start anythin
by saby0906 / August 14, 2013 12:48 PM PDT
In reply to: I'll track this as

The only person really being negative or saying no is you. Everyone else is just saying to get a different box. If i went to a doctor and told me I had a serious condition, I would get a second opinion. This is no different.

Collapse -
That BOX will not fix this. Why?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 15, 2013 12:45 AM PDT

Because all the cable company boxes do not have VGA outputs. So let's go over the usual BOX outputs and see if they support VGA.

Most BOXES have HDMI, Composite and a rare few have COMPONENT (which is too rare to mention but I will.)

That's 3 signal systems and not one is adapted with a cable. All required yet another convertor box.

I'm ready to discuss this but you seem to want a cable that is under 10 bucks to make this work. That answer, even with a new BOX is still no.
Bob

Collapse -
Actually EVERYONE ...
by Edward ODaniel / August 15, 2013 12:30 PM PDT

has essentially said that what you want to do will not work. You don't want to accept that so you are told to go ahead and try - see for yourself that magic is just fantasy.

It has been explained that you need a tuner and why but you don't like the answer.

Try looking at it this way and maybe you can see more clearly.

You have a car with a gas engine.

It is a 12 volt system and has a cigarette lighter.

You have a small drill you want to run from the car but it is 110 volt.

People tell you it won't work.

You don't like that answer.

You locate me through an ad that says I will make any needed cable.

I am willing to make you an adapter cable - 12 volt connector to 110 volt connector.

It has all the right connections and is compact and cheap (but non-refundable).

You get my adapter to try.

You connect the adapter and turn on the drill, the adapter doesn't help.

WHY?

Some serious contemplation tells you that despite the connections on the ends of the adapter cable 12 volts is going in and only 12 volts is coming out. Nothing there to change the voltage, just the connection

You realize the people who said it won't work are right.

You NEED a CONVERTER box that has 12 volt in and 110 volt out (they are actually called Power Inverters) and if you have it you have the 110 volts the TV needs.

You break down and get the power inverter people told you that you needed.

You connect the Inverter to the battery, plug the drill into the inverter, trip the drill's trigger and it WORKS!

Back now to your monitor, - In your case you NEED the TV tuner (CONVERTER) between the cable box and the monitor.

Collapse -
Sorry but I can't see any easy solution.
by Oldartq / August 14, 2013 1:56 PM PDT
In reply to: Box has 4 ports

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Clarification
by saby0906 / August 12, 2013 2:38 PM PDT

Okay so from the first responder, I mean no disrespect or offense, either I am unclear or this is harder to understand then I anticipated. So, I already have comcast cable service. This is what the back of the box more or less looks like.
<span id="INSERTION_MARKER">http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_nRdoPj_MWYw/S6Zryze6uJI/AAAAAAACNvE/zB04TKabT1A/s320/Comcast+Digital+Transport+Adapter+(DTA)+Rear+View+of+Connections.JPG.
<span>I am asking if I use a splitter such as this http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1802846&SRCCODE=WEBGOOPA&cm_mmc_o=mH4CjC7BBTkwCjCV1-CjCE&gclid=CInf-aHM-bgCFdFDMgoduU0ALw in the second slot labeled to tv and then connected the two adapters attached in my original post to the corresponding spdif and vga inputs on the monitor if it would succeed in giving me picture and audio from the cable box and also which of the 5 female coax cables to attach my male coax cable to on the vga converter. I do not own any of these products aside from the monitor or cable box yet but i do not want to waste money in buying adapters or converters if they will not work

Collapse -
why not ask Comcast
by itsdigger / August 13, 2013 1:42 AM PDT
In reply to: Clarification

if you can swap out the cable box for one with an hdmi port ?

Collapse -
Given only this much detail.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 13, 2013 1:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Clarification

I'd talk to those that sell this directly (I'd use the phone) and if they answer your questions then add one more about return policy and support.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Those ports
by Willy / August 13, 2013 2:06 AM PDT

How is your TV currently connected to the cable box? If this via some coax or HDMI, then you repeat that for the monitor. Whatever connects to the TV for the media stream is what is split for other TV or monitor. You seem to be offering all these connections because your monitor ports aren't a direct match. -OR- you use whatever extra ports from the cable box that may provide extra ports for this purpose. often enough the cable co. may via their support website shows what can be done or ask or provides the h/w needed to expand connectivity or what you need to get. If anything at least get the manual for that cable box being used, it also could be upgraded(some cost or free) if required.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Answer
You need a TV tuner
by glb613 / August 14, 2013 12:09 AM PDT

to connect to your computer and the cable from the wall. You'll use the computer to control the tuner and get the channels offered with your plan.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.