Phones forum

General discussion

Help -- Verizon won't allow me to port my number

by mbagley121 / July 25, 2006 4:13 AM PDT

Here's the deal: I've sworn off two-year contracts with Verizon as long as phones only have one-year warranties. Yeah, I know, they'll be happy to sell me an additional monthly service plan. I've been a Verizon customer for 8 or so years and am long past my contractual obligations. However, I need a new plan to get more monthly minutes; hence the need for a new service plan.

I bought a Motorola RAZR from Amazon for $199.99 (free after $200 in rebates), and signed up for a new one-year contract with Verizon. I followed up the online order with a phone call to confirm that I could port my old number to the new phone; sure, just call Verizon once you get the new phone. When I got the phone, I knew it would be a hassle with Verizon, so I went to the store rather than trying to explain it on the phone. I told them they can drop my old account, whatever they need to do, AFTER they port my old number to the new phone. In fact, I've been to two stores, plus spent more time on the phone with their customer dis-service reps.

Bottom line is, they can't (actually, they won't) do it. The store manager as much as admitted that they'd rather lose a long-time customer to a competitor than port my number. Here are my options as I see them: return the RAZR to Amazon and buy an unlocked phone elsewhere, to which Verizon will port my old number; return the RAZR and buy the same setup from Verizon for $200 more (not an option I will consider); or sign up for the cheapest pay-as-you-go plan with another carrier for a month, to which Verizon will port my number, and then will port my number back from to the new RAZR from Amazon. Can I port my cell phone number to a second (Verizon) land line in my home and then back out to my new cell phone?

Frankly, I'm tired of paying all this money to Verizon every single month, only to have them look down their noses at me and say so what, pay us more or go elsewhere. The only reason for not having gone elsewhere is being able to talk to other Verizon users free of airtime minutes.

I'm open to any suggestions from the forum.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help -- Verizon won't allow me to port my number
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help -- Verizon won't allow me to port my number
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
main problem is
by flamminozzie / July 25, 2006 1:22 PM PDT

that verizon can't port in a number that is already in verizon. Local Number Portability is for new customers who want their number to their new carrier. LNP doesn't work if you are a customer in that carrier already. This isn't a verizon problem, same would happen for every carrier. *shrug* your mistake was opening a new account with amazon. If you really want to keep your new phs you got through amazon, and want to keep your old # then do this:
1) make sure you are out of contract with your old ph #
2) if you are then you are going to have to open a new account with a differ carrier, doesn't matter which one. maybe cingular since they have an easy return policy
3) port your old # over to them (once the number is active with the old carrier, it should disconnect the old accout, so it is very important to make sure you are out of contract or else you will be billed for a etf of 175.00 for breaking the contract)
4) now that your old # is with a different carrier then, you can now call verizon and advise them you need to port your ph # over to your new acccout, since the number isn't in verizon anymore, you won't have problem.

also try to see if any of the reps are willing to work with you in your problem. *shrugs*

Collapse -
porting from Verizon Wireless to Verizon back to VW
by Jlak64 / July 26, 2006 12:04 AM PDT
In reply to: main problem is

Keep in mind that Verizon Wireless and Verizon (landline service) are different. Maybe that will influence your ability to port numbers.

Your new carrier should be able to deal with Verizon and initiate the number port for you.

Collapse -
verizon wireless and verizon (landlines)
by flamminozzie / July 26, 2006 12:26 AM PDT

are 2 completely different companies. You can port from verizon wireless to verizon landline, but you can't port from verizon wireless to verizon wireless because you can't port in a number that is already with verizon wireless.

Collapse -
I'm giving up and Verizon can go eat dirt and die
by mbagley121 / July 31, 2006 1:13 AM PDT

Thanks for the suggestions, but I'm giving up on my quest. I'm returning the new phone to Amazon and cancelling the new contract. I'm keeping my existing setup with Verizon, since the whole reason this started was because I was exceeding my monthly minutes because my mother was sick and I was constantly on the phone with doctors, relatives, etc. Well, my mom just passed away, so I don't need to spend that much time on my cell phone any more, so Verizon can go eat dirt and die for all I care.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.