AVG forum

General discussion

help uninstalling avg trial so I can install avg free

by Chopslide / November 14, 2010 6:01 AM PST

Hi I am trying to help a friend uninstall avg trial and get avg free on his computer and have run into some major problems
the computer is running w xp
the first thing that we tried was to go control panel> add remove> clicked avg then hit the button to uninstall that gave the option to change to free version. this resulted in error messages and a disabled but not uninstalled avg. we have since tried 2 uninstalls from the control panel and from the avg free version with no success. the avg trial is now halfway uninstalled and has left him with a useless computer if someone could help resolve this it would be very appreciated

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: help uninstalling avg trial so I can install avg free
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: help uninstalling avg trial so I can install avg free
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
update
by Chopslide / November 14, 2010 9:12 AM PST

So after reading many posts about similar problems I downloaded the avgremover utility burned it to a disk and took it over to my friends house(His computer now has no virus protection so he couldn't dload it)We tried to run it using the sticky instruction manual with no luck. one out of three tries the remover made it as far as restarting computer but avg was still on the comp.... disabled and non functional from our attempts to uninstall but still there preventing a fresh reinstall of avg or(mabe after this fiasco)some other form of virus protection. this should not be this hard what am I missing?

Collapse -
Re: Update
by Ondrej_AVG / November 14, 2010 4:30 PM PST
In reply to: update

Hello Chopslide,

please be informed that latest version of AVG remover (1165) should fully remove AVG processes from the computer.

Please copy the AVG remover on the hard disk (do not run it from CD), run it and check the situation again.

If the situation still persists, please upload the avgremover.log (from folder, where AVG remover has been run) to favorite online storage and provide us with the link to it.

What is the situation, when you run AVG installation again?

Thank you

Collapse -
update
by Chopslide / November 15, 2010 1:57 AM PST
In reply to: Re: Update

thanks for the reply! I am using the latest version and did copy to hard drive before attempting to remove with no luck. avg free installation fails with error codes after a few minutes and making it almost to the end of the progress bar I do not have a "favorite online storage" but would like to send error codes if you could make another suggestion on how to do that. I copied the install and uninstall error codes to a disk last night but not the avgremover log. that I can get this evening when I can get back over to friends house.
thanks for the help
Chopslide

Collapse -
more
by Chopslide / November 15, 2010 2:16 AM PST
In reply to: update

After checking I did not have the same remover version as the link that you sent(my mistake)
I will try the latest version and then update on my results also created a online storage account so I can send error codes if unsuccessful thks Chopslide

Collapse -
(NT) winner
by Chopslide / November 15, 2010 10:17 AM PST
In reply to: more
Collapse -
worked
by Chopslide / November 15, 2010 10:26 AM PST
In reply to: more

Ok so I went back over to friends house ran the latest ver of avg remover and first try did not result in a restart but did remove shortcut and other files that the previous version had not. then tried a reinstall of avg free 11 that failed in the copy files stage.... so I ran avg remover again this time it restarted and the install on the new virus pro went as expected! thanks for the help Ondrej but I have a new problem avg 9.o is expiring on my laptop and I am leary of updating to 2011 after my latest experience anyone have any suggestions.... thanks again for the help
chopslide

Collapse -
Re: worked
by Ondrej_AVG / November 15, 2010 3:30 PM PST
In reply to: worked

Hello Chopslide,

glad to hear AVG Free has been installed successfully.

With the AVG9 license expiration - you can still use the AVG9 even after renewal with new license number - you should receive it still in AVG9 format. If not, you can ask our sales department to generate compatible license number in AVG9 format. Paid AVG9 products are still possible to download at AVG website.

The end of support for AVG9 has not been specified yet.

Thank you

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.