Computer Help

General discussion

Help streaming video?

by tifmetallica / August 16, 2006 3:34 AM PDT

When I try to watch shows on Vh1's ''Vspot'', the video gets all choppy or freezes up and the audio starts skipping. Below the video (where the control features are displayed, play, stop, etc.) it goes from showing ''PLAYING'' to suddenly ''BUFFERING''. It does that back and forth the whole time. I wasn't sure how to go about correcting this. Are there certain configuration settings I should adjust on my computer? If so which exact ones? Or, is there a type of streaming software I can download (free) that would help with my viewing? Thank you for your time. Any assistance would be GREATLY appreciated!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help streaming video?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help streaming video?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Missing a few details here.....
by steve749 / August 16, 2006 3:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Help streaming video?

What kind of internet connection speed do you have?
What software is playing the video, e.g. Windows Media Player, RealPlayer, or something else?
What Operating System are you using?
How much memory does your computer have?
What processor do you have in your computer?

Those are just a few of the questions that are handy to know the answers to as you say nothing about what you are running just that some internet content doesn't play smoothly which can be a lot of different things I think.

Regards,
JB

Collapse -
Sorry if I sound dumb
by tifmetallica / August 16, 2006 4:07 AM PDT

I'm fairly new with all the technical computer stuff. I mean I can figure out and run basic tasks on my computer, but to be quite honest when you asked me what my connection speed, computer memory, or processor was, I couldn't even figure out where to find that information! I do know that I have Windows XP Professional w/ service pack 2 installed. I have Windows Media Player, but I don't think that is what I am using to watch the shows. I watch them directly off the Vh1 website. I really appreciate you taking the time to respond and if you could give me any more assistance (like where I could find those 3 pieces of information to start) I would be extremly greatful. Thank you so much!

Collapse -
So to elaborate to some extent...
by steve749 / August 16, 2006 4:57 AM PDT
In reply to: Sorry if I sound dumb

By internet connection I mean do you dial up over your phone line, have DSL, use a cable modem or have some other way that you get to the internet? For example, at both my home and work we have a cable modem set up. Many years ago you would use your phone line to get onto the internet and this is a rather slow connection to try to play videos over while the others like DSL and cable are usually better though not necessarily great if you want the high quality video that requires a very high speed connection.

By watching them directly off the site there is likely some player being used. Could be Flash as I just went over there and that is what it loaded for me on trying to watch some video.

As for the processor and memory information if click on Start, hover over "My Computer" and right-click and select "Properties" it should so the processor and memory like my laptop it says "Intel(R) Penitum(R) M processor 2.13 GHz 1.06 GHz, 2.00 GB of RAM Physical Address Extension."

Regards,
JB

Collapse -
Okay, I figured out what I have.......
by tifmetallica / August 16, 2006 6:30 AM PDT

Okay, I figured it out I have...
Intel Pentium lll processor
731 MHz,320 MB of RAM
I have a wire-less internet adapter which connects me to the 2WIRE modem upstairs in my house. I'm pretty sure I have DSL.

Collapse -
A few possible issues...
by steve749 / August 16, 2006 7:43 AM PDT

Ok so you have a high speed connection that should be able to send the video fairly easily and isn't where the bottleneck is. So that can be checked off I think.

The 320 MB of RAM running XP though is likely an issue. Though since you are running a Pentium III machine there could be something to be said for how slow some of the other things inside it that could also play a role here. You may want to try to get more RAM to try to cut down on what is known as the swapping that can happen when your computer uses part of the hard drive thinking it is memory. If you right-click on the Task Bar and bring up the Task Manager this can show under the Performance tab how much physical memory you have available as well as how taxed is the CPU when you do go to the vh1 site and try to play a video. Course that is just an idea as it doesn't seem like the Vh1 site recognizes different levels of computers using the site.

Hope that helps somewhat,
JB

Collapse -
Streaming Video Help Help!!
by sweetchardonnay / October 8, 2008 11:32 AM PDT

Can you please help me I have looked into your tips from the previous posts but how can i fix the skipping videos the buffering happens on every video i watch except the ones on windows media player how can i clean up my disk space or memory so i can watch videos? here is my laptops informaiton i have a toshiba with Microsoft windows XP Professional verison 2002 Service Pack 2 processor 1500MHz 1.5 GHZ 512MB of RAM Intel R Pentium R M

Collapse -
You Don't Mention Your Connection Speed..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 9, 2008 1:03 AM PDT

The faster the connection speed for your broadband ISP, the faster those streaming videos will download to your computer. For good streaming videos, depending on their resolution, 3.0 Mbps or more is best. Some flash videos, such as Youtube will work OK with 1.5 Mbps but the faster, the better.. What do you have?

Once that's done, then there are a few things that can be done.. Your 512 MB of RAM is minimal, especially if the video card is integrated.. You might kick that up to about 1 GB.. It's not a major deal, but it might help a little.

Next, eliminate some of those unnecessary background programs and services that run at startup should help with general smoothness in your computer operations... Follow the procedures in the link below. For Windows 2000/XP, ignore the first couple of sentences about checking "resources" and the "Performance tab" in the link below but follow the rest of the procedures including the "Services" links at the bottom.

How To Shut Down Unnecessary Start Up Programs

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Streaming Video Help!
by sweetchardonnay / October 9, 2008 3:24 AM PDT

Thanks so much for your reply, Where do i find my connection speed?

Collapse -
Connection Speed Can Be Found At Least Two Places..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 9, 2008 4:57 AM PDT
In reply to: Streaming Video Help!

First, your contract with your broadband ISP will tell you what you're supposed to be paying for. What does that plan say?. Check that first.

And if you want to know what your actually getting, try running a bandwidth speed test. Click on the link below, then follow the steps to run the "Sun Java Based Speed Test".

http://www.dslreports.com/stest

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Gif
by sweetchardonnay / October 9, 2008 6:22 AM PDT

This is my test what does it tell you?

Speed Test #58936733 by dslreports.com
Run: 2008-10-09 16:18:30 EST
Download: 502 (Kbps)
Upload: 876 (Kbps)
In kilobytes per second: 61.3 down 107 up
Tested by server: 56 java
User: 2 @ dslreports.com
User's DNS: cavtel.net

Collapse -
Yep, Your Download Speed Could Be A Problem..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 9, 2008 7:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Streaming Video Help!

Please try a second test using the link below and see if it comes in around the 500 Kbps rating. Click on the link, then click on the "Run Bandwidth Test" at the page.

http://www.pcpitstop.com/internet/Bandwidth.asp

If they both show similar results, then 502 Kbps isn't fast enough to do well with streaming video.. For a comparison, my home bandwidth speed averages about 2875 Kbps and I have very few problems unless I try to use high resolution videos from the internet. Some .

Now, what you need to check is which internet plan you have with your Internet Service Provider (ISP). My daughter's DSL plan is a 750 Kbps plan and it has a "true" bandwidth speed similar to yours, in the 500 + range.. A few of our neighbors have 1.5 Mbps (1500 Kbps) bandwidth plans and their "true" speed is usually about 1475 Kbps..

As stated above, my plan is a 3.0 Mbps plan and the "true" speed averages in teh 2875 range..

If your plan is one of the slower speed plans, then you'll need to get a more expensive plan to improve streaming video viewing.. ON the other hand, if you already have one of the faster plans but your speed is just bad, then you need to contact your ISP and see if they can fix the issue..

Hope this helps.

Grif

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.