Computer Help forum

Question

help so hacked by everyone-my laptop has camera devices in i

by melinhell / May 1, 2013 5:45 PM PDT

<span id="INSERTION_MARKER"> <span id="INSERTION_MARKER"> <span id="INSERTION_MARKER"> I am so hacked that the hackers are blocking me from sending this crazy email header. I have gone through six macs. I take them back and the kids at the genuis bar say I am hacked at the level of NASA. I have gotten new Ips routers etc. It has been four years. ALways things get installed such as a camera that works through the monitor. My phones are always hacked.. I don't know what to do. My accounts are all ruined, bank account drained. I am currently on a Maclaptop.I stupidly use aol but it doesn't matter it is the connection not the hardware or domain. What should I do? and is there anyway I can attach a file because I am blocked by who is on this from cutting and pasting.<span id="INSERTION_MARKER">

<span id="INSERTION_MARKER">

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: help so hacked by everyone-my laptop has camera devices in i
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: help so hacked by everyone-my laptop has camera devices in i
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: hacked
by Kees_B Forum moderator / May 1, 2013 5:51 PM PDT

You can't attach a file in this forum. All you can do is put the file (a picture if possible) in some file sharing site and add a link here.

But your story is so confused that it's unlikely that any picture you add will enable us to help you.

Kees

Collapse -
why is my story confusing?
by melinhell / May 1, 2013 5:59 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: hacked

I am a ludite, I am confused as to what is going on. I am an older person. I don't understand and aI guess I hit a site that has zero compassion for someone who is accomplished in other areas but challenged in this. Your reply was elitist. I will go to the police, you wouldn't be able to understand if professionals can't even figure out what is happening. I thought this was a more professional site.

Collapse -
Start over
by glb613 / May 1, 2013 8:27 PM PDT

and put your computer back to its out of the box condition.

Collapse -
I think you must be more than a luddite.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 1, 2013 10:46 PM PDT

You lashed out at the first help and may scare away others.

Here's my advice. Take help where you can and don't lash out at folk. Eventually someone will guess what it is.

And a friend of mine is not willing to deal with such problems. So when that happens they perform a factory restore and start over. For them that works.
Bob

Collapse -
I apologize
by melinhell / May 1, 2013 11:57 PM PDT

I am a 54 year old disabled person. I did lash out and I apologize. I have gone through many Macs, PC's etc and have gotten hacked to the point that it involved my credit and banking hacked. It has been bizarre and seemingly the only way to stop it is to get off the internet and live in a refridgerator box with dixie cups for phones as we did as kids. I lashed out because it has been a frightening experience and like Hilary Clinton and the head of the FBI, there is no finding out who is doing this,, it has been a loss of 40k so far. I can live without the internet..I was looking for help in decoding a hacked email header. With regard to the many installations downloaded into my computer and on every one I have had for the past four years..you have to see it to believe it..as I said, the workers at the Apple store were dumbfounded and asked who did I know that had hacked my computer as thoroughly as the hackers of NASA. I am a kind person and I do apologize for my rant, it was out of character and this whole thing would make anyone edgy, most would go nuts, me well..it could be worse. I suspect since I have a Bank of America account and Anonymous hacked them and their clients they might be the culprits..I get texts and emails with no info but the word ANONYMOUS..they disappear about five minutes later. So long.

Collapse -
You really must be old
by Jimmy Greystone / May 1, 2013 11:59 PM PDT

You really must be old, because the luddites were a group of people from the 19th century. Specifically the early 1800s who protested the introduction of new labor-saving machinery, so I'm sure there are plenty of people out there who would love to know your secret to longevity. The poor luddites tend to get a bum wrap too, since they weren't anti-technology or anti-progress as they're often portrayed, they were against a very specific bit of new technology at the time, not all technological progress.

But kidding aside, I have to agree that there are just too many things about your story that don't add up. Recent neuro-cognitive research would tend to suggest that as we get older, the part of our brain that handles risk assessment tends to fail. We become much more trusting of people, and completely miss numerous warning signs that someone 10-20 years younger would likely think are smacking you in the face obvious. There's also the possibility that you are doing something fairly typical among the technologically challenged, and that is incorrectly ascribing the source of problems. Frequently people will swear up and down they have a virus or were hacked when it's a basic hardware or software failure. Often times that is the only context in which the people can begin to understand what is going on.

Also, as pointed out, if you lash out at the people attempting to help you, you're never going to get any help. People are are volunteering their time and expertise; expertise that you lack by your own admission. Sometimes you have to swallow your pride a little and prostrate yourself until you get what it is you're after.

Collapse -
Thanks..yes I am too old for this and..
by melinhell / May 2, 2013 12:12 AM PDT
In reply to: You really must be old

I have hired Tekserve, been to Apple..worked with indy experts and in my defense, no one can understand how this is happening with Macs that are in Stealth mode..I have every security device possible. I am one of the chosen..perhaps. Thanks for your retort. I don't know much about this arena. I am disabled and thank you for reminding me of my limitations..at least I can admit my mistakes, limitations and faults..I will stay off the internet and yes I was born before colored television..I am old...you will be too:))

Collapse -
Answer
Hopefully there is hope...

Hi, hopefully I can offer some advice that may or may not be contributing to what is going on.

First things first, you aren't that old my friend -) I have been in the computer field for over 25 years, and I often work with people that are well into their 80's and 90's on the computer. We are only as old as we allow ourselves to be Happy

My first thoughts that come to mind when reading what is going on is that if you are indeed hacked, which is a very loose term, the likely culprit is not likely someone that has found you via the network randomly. When it starts involving access to banking accounts and that sort of thing we must address things like, who else has access to your computer if anyone? What type of email do you use? The most popular ways for people to get information from you i.e. phishing is by sending you emails that look 100% authentic as to where they are from and sending you to clone sites that look nearly identical to PayPal, Bank of America, USPS and more. They offer some reason that you must input your log in information and then they have that information in order to access your real accounts.

People even calling on the phone, offering a call back number to verify they are with the company they say they are from that are also malicious and getting bits and pieces if not all information they need in order to gain access to bank accounts, create credit accounts and more. The world has gone crazy with this dishonest type of behavior.

Without doing a real system assessment I really can't say for sure what is going on, but those are among the most common. These email attachments I mentioned also have what are called trojan horses and more that allow keyloggers, access to web cams and more, there are just to many to mention to be honest.

Having said you have been through 4 machines, have it set to stealth have used every security program etc leads me to think that the email attachments or some other form of phishing tactic is being used.

Please allow me to apologize for any one that has talked to you as a computer technician in a condescending or improper way. This didn't used to the standard way people talked to one another and companies used to know how to treat their customers with respect instead of talking down to them. This is a pet peeve of mine and doesn't happen where I am Happy But to give a reason as to why the Apple gurus and other you have talked to have difficulty understanding is often because they hear the first few words and jump on the possible answers and don't use complete critical thinking skills to think out an entire problem, or they have difficulty understanding what you are attempting to tell them perhaps.

I have listed some of the more common things that cause your type of experiences. They are not necessarily the correct ones but are a good starting point to attempt to track down what is actually happening and chances are they are a number of different things happening at the same time. I hope I have given you some good ideas, and I am completely willing to look into this further with you if you would like the assistance.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.