TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Help setting up TV/Home theater system

by jblue212 / January 23, 2010 11:35 PM PST

Apologies for the repost - I posted this in the Samsung forum but no one has replied.

I just yesterday upgraded my home system. I had an HD CRT TV that worked fine, but wanted bigger, flatter, etc. and I thought I needed more inputs since I used to have to unplug the Roku to use the Wii and vice versa. I ended up complicated things WAY more. I think I screwed everything up.

previous system -

Samsung 30" widescreen TXN3075 (crt tv - no hdmi)
Samsung Home Theater HT-P38 (no hdmi)

peripherals -

Scientific Atlanta 3800HD DVR
Roku box for Netflix
Wii
dock for XM satellite radio receiver

Cable and Home theater used component cables to hook up to the TV.
All sound came through the Home Theater - whether it was Wii, Roku, DVD,
TV, etc. The Wii and Roku only used composite and S-Video, yet the HT powered the audio.

So I got a new large LED backlit TV and a new home theater for DVD and surround sound.

Now, none of the HD channels are HD - everything is letterboxed and stretched. Time Warner is coming on Wed. but I have no idea what's wrong there - everything is set for 16:9.

I didn't really want a new home theater - but thought I need the 1 component on the TV for Wii - and my old one didn't have HDMI.

New set up -

Samsung UN40B7000 LED-LCD TV (4 HDMI, 1 component)
Samsung Home Theater HT-Z420

same peripherals.

Cable box, HT, and Roku are hooked up to the TV with HDMI.
Only DVD gets sound through HT unless also use optical audio to cable box.
Then Roku has no sound through HT, and the Wii won't either, and I don't know if the radio dock will work yet either.

I would like all peripherals to have sound through HT. How do I hook this up?
Po

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help setting up TV/Home theater system
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help setting up TV/Home theater system
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Confusing post/hard to read- question regarding Roku
by Pepe7 / January 24, 2010 12:51 PM PST

Sorry, but something about the way you've constructed your post is excruciatingly difficult to read. I'll try the best I can interpreting from what I see above ;).

Try the following 'recipe', and let me know if I missed any of your components from the 'soup' you've provided (which model radio dock???? what kind of plug does it have??) 8-)

Unfortunately, I don't see any way to have everything run through the HT since it doesn't have enough inputs. Either the Roku or the Wii is connected to the HT component. For $100+ more you could have picked up an Onkyo HTIB which would have solved this issue.

Which of the Roku boxes do you have, btw?? I'd guessing perhaps it's the HD model since you mention both HDMI & S-video ouput.

HD DVR (HDMI out) -> (HDMI in) LED HDTV
" " (digital optical out) -> (digital optical in) Samsung HT

Wii (composite video out) -> (composite video in) LED HDTV
" " (composite audio out) -> (composite audio in) LED HDTV
*doesn't output surround sound, so I opted to connect directly to your HDTV

Roku (Component video out) -> (Component video in) LED HDTV
"" "" (composite audio out) -> (composite audio in <via aux in>) Samsung HT

Collapse -
Missed one
by Pepe7 / January 24, 2010 12:52 PM PST

Samsung HT (HDMI out) -> (HDMI in) Samsung LED HDTV

Collapse -
thanks...sorry for confusion
by jblue212 / January 24, 2010 1:05 PM PST
In reply to: Missed one

I'm sorry I worded it so horribly. I know I probably made a mistake with this HTIB - I wanted the same brand for ease of use between the TV and HTIB and money was a big concern.

I understand that the Wii does not have surround sound but I still don't want to use the TV speakers. Previously my configuration worked with another HTIB.

This TV only has one component input - no composite.

I switched things around and here's my current configuration -

DVR (component out) - > HTIB (component in)
HTIB (HDMI out) - > LED TV (HDMI in)
HTIB (optical audio out) - > LED TV (optical audio in)
Roku (HDMI out) - > LED TV (HDMI in)
XM Radio (analog audio out) - > HTIB (analog audio in)

so far, so good. The Wii is the only thing not hooked up yet - I have a component cable on order and I am hoping that going Wii (component out) - > LED TV (component in) will give me the audio through the HTIB since the Roku is working that way. Ya think?

Now my biggest problem is that the TV is not getting HD. But, it didn't when the TV was directly connected to HD DVR. So I'm think the DVR went bad somehow when I switched TVs. Cable guy is coming on Wed.

Collapse -
Are you confusing Component with Composite?
by Pepe7 / January 24, 2010 11:56 PM PST

Component=RGB
Composite=yellow (video), red/white (audio)

Wii doesn't output HD via Component AFAIK(?)

Also, if you still don't want to use the TV speakers, why in that case are you connecting a digital optical cable from the Samsung HT to your LED HDTV(?)

Collapse -
may be fixed!
by jblue212 / January 24, 2010 2:42 PM PST
In reply to: Missed one

I think I finally figured it all out. Now I just have to get the Wii component cable to make sure it's all good.

Whew!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech Tip

Stuck without Internet and want to watch movies?

CNET shows you how to download movies and TV shows onto your device using Amazon Prime so you'll always be entertained.