Computer Help forum

General discussion

Help !! Restoring Saved Documents

by thecavern / April 7, 2007 9:58 PM PDT

Using the Microsoft Backup, I copied my Documents folder. They are backed up on 3 floppys. (My old computer used Windows 98, my new computer has Vista). I've tried numerous ways to copy and/or restore the information from the floppys to my new computer but to no avail !! For instance, if I simply copy the data, it's stored as "backup.qic". I can't get at the individual folders or files within the backup. Any ideas ??

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help !! Restoring Saved Documents
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help !! Restoring Saved Documents
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
If you still have the old computer
by PudgyOne / April 8, 2007 6:00 AM PDT

I would burn the document folder to a CD. If you do NOT have a CD burner, you could try the transfer wizard on the Vista computer to get the files using a usb cable. If you don't have that capability, then you can always copy and paste the documents to floppy, if your new computer has the floppy capability.

I never used Microsoft Backup. I have always burned the important items that I wanted to save to a CD. If my computer went down today, I could pull out all my items from a CD. I also have a Windows XP SP2 CD along with drivers, in case of emergency.

Your last resort would be to email them slowly to your email account, but that's a PITA.

If you no longer have the old computer, then you are SOL.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
If You Still Have Your Old Computer
by thecavern / April 8, 2007 7:32 AM PDT

Unfortunately, my hard drive on my old computer suffered severe damange. All I have are my floppys. It seems there should be some way to read the floppys and separate the files and folders within so that they could be copied.

Copying the floppys to a CD : Would that make any difference ?

Collapse -
Google search
by eddie11013 / April 9, 2007 8:00 AM PDT
Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.