Android forum

Help required in choosing a smart phone

by Bencilal / July 22, 2012 5:01 PM PDT

Hi All,

I am planning to buy a smartphone. Following are my requirements as of now.Please add the list if I missed any important ones.

1) OS Android.

2) Primary Camera with flash.

3) Front facing camera for video calls.

4) Connectivity :

a) 3G
b) Wi-Fi
c) TV out - via mini HDMI or MHL
d) Bluetooth
e) USB support

5) Entertainment :

a) Video player should play HD movies,MKV,WMV,Divx,avi etc
b) FM radio support

6) Document viewer/editor for Word/Excel files.

7) Capacitive touch

Cool GPS support.

9)Better battery backup.

10) Budget Max 500$

The model under consideration as of now are

1) Samsung Galaxy S 2
2) Sony Xperia S -- un removable battery Sad

Please help me to choose one.Please update the lits with other models.

Thank you all in advance for your valuable suggestions.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help required in choosing a smart phone
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help required in choosing a smart phone
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Which cellular cattier ???
by birdmantd Forum moderator / July 22, 2012 9:38 PM PDT

That would help in finding you a phone. There are several online "phone finder" tools that allow you to specify your phone requirements. Try for example. There are other sources, but that will be of some help in your search.

All Answers

Collapse -
I wouldn't buy a Samsung Stratosphere...
by dennphill / July 26, 2012 9:33 AM PDT

but if you do, send me a request and I'll give you my battery. After 6 months, I tossed the thing against a wall. Battery is probably still fine, though. Good luck with Android. If you use Verizon, good luck there, too.

Collapse -
Don't go for an HTC
by Stan_Smith / August 27, 2012 4:45 AM PDT

I wouldn't go for an HTC, they become slow and fairly unreliable after a while

Collapse -
Have to disagree with you....
by birdmantd Forum moderator / August 27, 2012 5:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Don't go for an HTC

Never had any such problems with my HTC when I was still with At&t. I had the phone for almost 2 1/2 years and did not experience any reliability issues.

Collapse -
No problems here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 27, 2012 7:29 AM PDT

I do see many androids get loopy as the users load up the apps. Seems easy to fix by ejecting all that.

Collapse -
Don't go for an HTC ?? Why
by ORIGINAL_HEIGHTS / August 27, 2012 12:46 PM PDT

I have had the HTC EVO for almost 2 years, what problems am I supposed to be having? Love the phone, has been good for me.

@ Bencilal: The Samsung is a great phone and should suffice for most anything you want to do. I admit battery doesn't last the longest, but no smart phone has a long lasting battery. I bought a spare extra strength battery and charger. Bought it at Radio Shack with warranty: went in twice and said battery wasn't holding up and got two spares. I now have the original battery, two spares and one extra strength one. I never have battery problems I can't handle.

When I load up with a bunch of apps and install them, yes then it slows down. So do all the other ones including Apple. I load a normal number of apps, thirty to forty, and have no slow downs at all. It has never failed me when I needed it, and even when I didn't. If you had problems with yours, you should have taken it in to your carrier for service. Sometimes, upgrading the software will help in this situation also. I know a lot of people that purchased the EVO, and none of them have had a complaint. Every manufacturer is going to have a few bad ones out in the real world, but it should get taken care of by the carrier.

If your phone is slowing down and it seems nothing is working, try this tip: Take out your SD card, back up your apps to your computer. Double check that you have backed up your apps and they are all on your hard drive, now delete everything on your SD card(making sure everything was backed up). Now format the card, make sure you don't use one of the old commands that installed the old DOS system on it(you won't need it) LOL. After the card has been formatted, now reinstall you old data and programs. Doing this is like the defragment command for the hard drive. I don't really recommend using that on the SD card, wasn't created for that. But the formatting and reinstalling the data and apps will put everything in order and should speed it back up for you.

What ever you decide I wish you luck.

Collapse -
Thanks for this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 28, 2012 1:43 AM PDT

This is exactly what I'm seeing today. Install a ton of apps and the phones slow down.

Collapse -
by stephenjobs / September 11, 2012 5:28 PM PDT

I think you should choose Samsung Galaxy S3

Collapse -
Samsung S3 is a good choice
by shuiguoyang / October 7, 2012 4:23 PM PDT

I think Samsung S3 is a good choice

Collapse -
recommendation of Samsung smartphones
by nellstar / October 9, 2012 4:40 PM PDT

I have been using Samsung since July of 2012,with my great experience. I had Iphone before,But to tell you the truth, I prefer the Samsung. My samsung type is I9070,that is dual-core by the way. @Bencilal

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.