TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Help powering pair of Infinity Kappa 9's

by jtiesel / September 5, 2010 9:24 AM PDT

I own a pair of Infinity Kappa 9's that I am trying to find power for.
Owners Manual Specs:
Nominal Impedance: 4 to 6 ohm (recommends amps that can go lower)
Power Rating: 60-340 watts RMS
Efficiency: 102 dB SPL @1 watt, 1 meter
Crossover Frequencies: 80Hz, 800Hz, 4500Hz
Frequency Response: 29Hz-45kHz +/-3dB
Physical specs:
1x - SEMIT Supertweeter
1x - EMIT Tweeter
1x - 3" Edgewound Voice Coil Polydome Midrange Driver
1x - 5" Polypropylene/graphite Diaphram Polygraph
2x - 12" Cast Frame , L/C Tuned Woofers
These speakers are 5ft tall and require lots of power to run. In the manual it says that each speaker can be bi-amped and recommends giving the most power to the woofers.

I'm looking for people who have experience powering heavy duty speakers to recommend a budget (I will be shopping ebay, craigslist, and sites like solution for the power needs of these speakers. Any thoughts, experiences, or words of wisdom would be much appreciated

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help powering pair of Infinity Kappa 9's
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help powering pair of Infinity Kappa 9's
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Amps for Infinity Kappa speakers
by Kateri Tekakwitha / September 27, 2010 9:16 AM PDT

I have owned a pair of Kappa 8 speakers since 1989. Their specs are identical to the 9's, the difference being that they added a SEMIT super tweeter in the 9's. I bi-amp them with 2 Adcom amps. I use an Adcom 555 200-watt amp for the bass speakers and an Adcom 535 60-watt amp for the mids and highs, which had a reputation for an especially sweet sounding amp. My 8's sound great, with that distinctive Infinity sound, but they are power hogs and very unforgiving towards amplifiers. They are notorious for dropping down to 1 ohm in their power demands. When they do, they demand all the power that the Adcom 555 can give, just to the bass, to the point of making the lights dim in the room. I always have to have a supply of 6 watt fuses on hand, so I can replace the blown ones and get the amp running again. The Adcom 535 has only blown 1 fuse, and that just recently, in all these years. As a result, you get to know where the safe positions are on the volume control of the Adcom preamp, as well as the sound levels being produced. I also bought a sound pressure meter from Radio Shack, so I could be more precise. I have found 102 db is about all I want to push the amps to in sound levels. Peaks of 104 db is ok sometimes. That is a lot of sound in the room. Lots of people say on the web blogs that they use Adcom amps. They make the Infinity speakers sound really sweet. I've always loved the Infinity sound and still do. I recently read, that if they were being produced today, they would be about $10,000 for a pair. I paid $2,000 in 1989. Best money I've spent on stereo equipment. The more power you give them, the better they sound.

Collapse -
Powering Infinity Kappa 9's
by wongfei-2009 / February 4, 2011 2:22 PM PST

Not sure if this is out of date,only 4 months, but feel the need to post anyway cuz any Kappa 9 owner is holding on to something special. Almost every post I've read, here and elsewhere, recommends bi-amping. Sure you can bi-amp with 2 ample amps but I say go for the gusto. I have never bi-amped. I have a McIntosh MC2500 which produces 500 watts a side. It is a HUGE heavy amp that dishes out more than the Kappas can handle. In over 20 years it has never had any issues. I've reconed the woofers once during that time. In short, Go McIntosh. They are some of the best American HiFi amplifiers ever made and there are plenty of different models on the used market. An MC2500 or 2600 can run $3000. Worth every penny. I'm sure more affordable models will also do the job for say, $2000, maybe more, maybe less. No need to bi-amp, which might cost even more.Do yourself a favor and pull the trigger on McIntosh. Hope this was helpful.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.