Computer Help forum

Question

Help please! Windows XP, Upkeep.

by dogguy96 / January 24, 2013 6:16 AM PST

Hello! So I have an older Dell Dimension E310 running Windows XP and I have some upkeep I need help with. There are 3 things I need to do that I can think of now. Just to preface.. we have 3 user accounts on the computer, I am the administrator; however, I can give it to the other 2 accounts temporarily if it makes things easier.

1. I would like to move a iTunes library to my 2 TB external hard drive that I keep constantly attached to our desktop. It is over 7GB and slows down our tiny computer's hard drive like crazy. I have read several instruction forums on how to do this but I would like some more advice because the library is very important. I have also had bad luck with iTunes in the past.

2. When Windows starts up (No matter which user account I use) it brings up 'My Documents' folder twice. You can then simply close them out and continue on with your work but it is annoying. I need to go into start-up files but I would like some more assistance with this as well because it is easy to mess something up.

3. As for web browsers, I love Google Chrome and I even have it set up so that all my bookmarks carry over to my Android phone, iPad, and Netbook computer. It's nice to have them all together. Anyway, when I downloaded it on this computer I was unaware that it only went onto my user account. Then, at a later time my mom downloaded it for just her user account. I would like to put it on my fathers as well now, but I don't want to uninstall mine and hers to install it on the entire computer (through a custom install) because Chrome warned of losing settings (my bookmarks, history, themes, etc.). Would it waste a lot of extra space to install it on the 3rd account by itself or can I uninstall it on the entire computer and reinstall it on the entire thing without losing all of my content?

I have more upkeep to do, but I would like to start with these things. I'm just simply cleaning up the computer and getting it faster to maximize it's life. Thanks for the help!

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help please! Windows XP, Upkeep.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help please! Windows XP, Upkeep.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: upkeep
by Kees_B Forum moderator / January 24, 2013 6:43 AM PST

1. Although I doubt of used disc space slows the PC, it's not too difficult to move the contents of the library (that is, the songs etc). The second post in http://forums.cnet.com/7723-21565_102-583727/need-help-pls-locating-itunes-iphoto-with-2-external-drives/?messageId=5415218#message5415218 has a good instruction from our Mac moderator.

2. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555294 might help.

3. Just make a shortcut to Chrome in your fathers account. That should be all that's needed. Even easier, moe your shortcuts to the same place in the All users profile (desktop or the folder used by Start>Programs) and it will appear automatically on the desktop or the Start>Programs list for all users. That's generally the only difference between installing for myself only and installing for everybody: the location where the installer puts the shortcuts.

Kees

Collapse -
Won't allow
by dogguy96 / January 24, 2013 7:01 AM PST
In reply to: Re: upkeep

The generic 'Internet' shortcut on the start panel on my father's account says Chrome underneath but cannot locate it. When I try to manually locate the Chrome files it isn't under the program files and won't let me into my or my mothers account folders to find the file, even though I have given his account Administrator priveledges (for the time being)

Collapse -
If you can run the program (Chrome) ...
by Kees_B Forum moderator / January 24, 2013 10:21 PM PST
In reply to: Won't allow

it's on the PC somewhere.

Here in Windows 7 the processes tab of Task Manager let's you right click on the program to find the exe-file. I didn't check for XP.

However, if you're sure it's safely in your and your mothers account, it can't harm to have it in your fathers account also.

Kees

Collapse -
Answer
Warning. Don't pare your iTunes down to one copy.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 24, 2013 7:42 AM PST

I'm a little leery of folk that "move" their library to an external without backup copies. They usually explode later if the external fails or gets erased. I'm sure you've plugged in some drive and seen Windows ask if you want to format the drive. You have other users so you are cruising for the usual cliff.

About the open folder issue. It's pretty well discussed but my favorite tool to look into this is HIJACKTHIS. I use that and research each line so I know what each is. I usually discover the problem along the way.

About admin and such. TIP!!! Always have a spare admin account. Because "Corrupt Profiles" can lock out those that have a lone admin account we always want a spare.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.