Small business & Startups forum

Question

Help please- How to start a website for new small business?

by fsuadrienne / July 21, 2012 12:51 PM PDT

Hello!
I just started a private practice in psychology and have purchased a domain name already (from namecheap). I don't know what to do from here to get my website developed and up and running though, and would appreciate any advice!

I understand I need to find a 'host' correct? How do I decide which one to use and what should I look for when choosing? Any recommendations?

I would like to use a free or low cost website template (that I can tweak) to develop my website, as I am not financially in a place to afford someone to make it for me. Do I have to find a 'host' service that provides templates as well, or can/do I find a separate company online for this? If so, what website/company do you recommend? (I don't know how to do any HTML or coding).

Then, what do I need to do to get my website up and running and live?

Thanks!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help please- How to start a website for new small business?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help please- How to start a website for new small business?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
uh
by Kadeelo / July 25, 2012 6:30 PM PDT

You need a technique stuff or you can learn SEO in many learning site, It is very important for your new site. Wish you can do it well

Collapse -
Answer
Namecheap + Hostgator + Wordpress = Successful site!
by h4v0c6 / August 4, 2012 8:26 AM PDT

Well you are off to a great start by having your domain name! You are correct in that you need a hosting service. I recommend Hostgator Baby Plan. Once you have the hosting setup, you have to point your domain name to the hosting service. This is super easy with namecheap.

After your hosting is setup and you domain is pointed then it is time to setup your site. I recommend using Wordpress as the base of your site. Wordpress is far beyond the blogging platform that it started off as. It makes your life very easy as it is an easy to use interface. You do not need to know any coding to get started.

If you are using hostgator, you can go into your cpanel and navigate to Fantastico. Fantastico will install wordpress for you! There are only a couple of options you have to fill in.

There are numerous free resources and guides for Wordpress on the web. If you need any help, feel free to ask!

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Answer
You have several options...
by philgwinn / August 23, 2012 7:52 AM PDT

Hi-
If you've purchased a domain name then you need a place to "park" it. Simply you need to rent server space on a physical computer to hold your site and information. You can do this and get your website up by using a service where you can create your own site; during the process you should be able to tell them that you have your own domain name.
I write my own code and have never used a "free" website but a Google search for "best free web site" will turn up many results; this one has 45 different Web Builder links with information:

http://www.1stwebdesigner.com/design/best-web-builders-create-free-website/

A search for: "free website psychologists" returns three companies that offer free or cheap website and might have a template for psychologists:
www.web.com/WebBuilder

www.zoho.com/sites

www.godaddy.com/

I would start with these three and see what you can find.

Phillip Gwinn

Note: This post was edited by a forum moderator to remove signature link which is prohibited in these forums on 08/24/2012 at 7:54 AM PT

Collapse -
Answer
If you are starting a website be sure to take your time.
by autoprt123 / August 25, 2012 11:17 PM PDT

One thing i suggest is to make sure you get a lot of good content and focus on providing good service. Don't get caught up in positioning over time if you do these things people and the search engines will notice your site. Also don't try to short cut and do things to get a good position, the search engines, especially Google are aware of all the tricks and will find out and penalize all your hard work.

Good luck to you and your business.

Collapse -
Answer
SEO should be kept in mind...

Hi,

As you have already bought the domain you have completed step 1. Now you need a reliable and secure host and then start your website.

Have you started your website yet? If not, I would suggest don't go for free hosting as these are limited in features and are not reliable.

Let us know and we can help more.

Thanks

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.