PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Help please!!Dell PC stuck in Power save mode blinking amber

by denacal / August 13, 2007 7:24 AM PDT

I have a Dell dimension 3000 with Windows XP.I have recently moved. When I started the computer the power light was blinking amber and the monitor was black. On pressing the switches on the flat panel shows" Power save mode. Move mouse or press any key"
I have tried powering it on,opoening the system and readjusting the power cables and the PCI card with no luck!! When i power it on the fan seems to be working and the motherboard has a green light.
Please advise if there is a problem with the motherboard?
Any advice is appreciated.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help please!!Dell PC stuck in Power save mode blinking amber
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help please!!Dell PC stuck in Power save mode blinking amber
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
a response from another place to a similar problem
by JP Bill / August 13, 2007 10:24 AM PDT

Since you say you just moved

That person said

I have this exact problem every time I move because when I put the computer back together, I always accidentally plug the monitor into the wrong place. My CPU has a spot at the top and a spot at the video card towards the bottom. The top one causes that problem; the bottom works perfectly. If you're sure yours is in the right place, you may have a problem with the video card, but I'd double check if I were you.

Are there 2 connectors that your monitor cable might fit?

Try your monitor on another system?

Collapse -
On a Dell
by kpo6969 / August 16, 2007 4:47 AM PDT

The blinking amber usually means power supply or mobo issue. Re-seat all cards, cables, ram and try again. If not one or the other may be shot.

Collapse -
Help please!!!!!!
by denacal / August 19, 2007 3:19 AM PDT
In reply to: On a Dell

My dell dimension 3000 shows blinking amber and the fan turns on.On opening the pc cover there is a green light on the mobo.
As suggested I tried reinstalling the memory, pci card and psu and fan with no luck as yet.
How do I know if it is a PSU or a Mobo issue?? Is there anyway to find out if the voltage outage is working okay??

thanks for your help.

Collapse -
Check your video card is fully seated.
by jechevow / August 27, 2007 1:19 AM PDT

I've had this problem intermittently on my Dell Optiplex GX110 with Ultrascan monitor. Every time it happens, I totally unplug everything, open the lid, push in the video card (it works loose and I don't have a screw), then reboot.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.