Computer Help forum

Help please! Can't access one specific website.

by artikgato / January 4, 2013 7:21 AM PST

I'm in charge of editing the content on the website for an anime convention that I help staff - We use wordpress to edit the website. Recently I haven't been able to access the website, the forums, or log in to wordpress to edit it.

I live with roommates, and between us we have three laptops, one desktop, an iPhone and an iPod touch and not a single one of them can access the website from our home internet. Naturally it works fine from other internet sources. We've tried clearing browser history, resetting the router multiple times, resetting our IP address - basically everything we can think of. When we tried contacting our ISP they said they would be charging us a ridiculous sum to have a technician come out and try to fix the problem "if there is one". Haha, yeah right.

If anybody has ANY ideas of how to solve this problem, please let me know! I need this fixed asap. Thanks!

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help please! Can't access one specific website.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help please! Can't access one specific website.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Did you try using a Google DNS ?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 4, 2013 7:30 AM PST

Google this to learn how.

-> How do I use the Google DNS?

Collapse -
Just tried it, and still nothing. :\
by artikgato / January 4, 2013 8:01 AM PST

Thank you though!

Collapse -
Then does the url resolve to an IP address?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 4, 2013 8:52 AM PST

Can you ping the site? Does NSLOOKUP work?

Collapse -
by artikgato / January 4, 2013 9:32 AM PST

Pinging the site was one of the first things I tried. The request keeps timing out. I was able to look up the IP with NSLOOKUP, but trying to access the site with its IP didn't work, of course.

Collapse -
Try it without the www?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 4, 2013 12:41 PM PST
In reply to: Nope seems fine here. And there are times when the DNS needs work but let's try this.
Collapse -
(NT) Still nothing
by artikgato / January 5, 2013 2:19 AM PST
Collapse -
Then how about this issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 5, 2013 2:25 AM PST
In reply to: Still nothing

I looked up the IP address and it was which coughed up some interesting stuff.

Now I see this site may not work from all ISP's and you need to talk to your Web site host why this is.

Collapse -
PS. Added host details at link.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 5, 2013 2:26 AM PST
Collapse -
by PickledCucumber / January 4, 2013 1:48 PM PST

Try using tor browser or a proxy to access the site.

Collapse -
Proxy browsing works!
by artikgato / January 5, 2013 2:47 AM PST
In reply to: Proxies

Oddly enough, using worked, but changing network settings to allow proxy browsing didn't. We've reset our IP a couple of times, though, so I'm not sure what this means...

Collapse -
We've reset our IP a couple of times
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 5, 2013 2:55 AM PST
In reply to: Proxy browsing works!

I wish I had known that.

This was a very important clue. Now ask your internet provider why it matters. And your web host too.

Your site does NOT have a dedicated IP so that's why it's going to be funky.

The mystery is now solved but I think you need someone to explain it to you.

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 5, 2013 3:02 AM PST
Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.