Laptops

Resolved Question

Help picking a new / first laptop

by AWC2003 / December 16, 2012 2:08 PM PST

I'm looking into getting a new laptop which will also be my first. I'll be useing this to watch the occasional DVD, browse the Internet, and play games. I have a spending limit of no more than $700. I have no clue what to get or where to start. One of the games I'm looking at requires some kind of a game graphics card? Said the absolute minimum to have was a GeForce GT330 or a ATI Radeon HD 6720G2 graphics card or better (min 256 MB VRAM)?? Idk what that means but I'd like to have something better than that since its only the minimum. Also requires Microsoft Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows xp32. Intel core duo e43000 1.8 ghz or AMD Athlon 64 X2 dual core 4000+ or equivalent 2ghz processor, 2 GB RAM, 2 GB free hard drive space, Soundcard, DVD-ROM Drive. I have no clue where to start or what to look for. I just want something with a 15" plus screen, excellent game graphics card thing, and for $700 or under.

AWC2003 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer »
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help picking a new / first laptop
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help picking a new / first laptop
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer as chosen by AWC2003

Collapse -
Good specs but given it's a big world.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 16, 2012 2:35 PM PST
Collapse -
I don't understand what you mean?
by AWC2003 / December 16, 2012 11:07 PM PST

Huh???

Collapse -
What I mean it's a big world.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 16, 2012 11:35 PM PST

Posting in a forum without telling what country you are shopping in should not get you many answers. What I can buy in Vancouver or San Francisco may not be in Rio.

I supplied a link and noted I updated it with the editor choice so you can see if that helps you start your search.

Bob

Collapse -
I gotcha
by AWC2003 / December 17, 2012 3:56 AM PST

I will be buying in the United States, kentucky. I looked at the link and those laptops are all to expensive. Thinking about the dell Inspiron 17R 5720?? I can get it for $700.

Collapse -
We have a few Inspirons at the office.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 17, 2012 4:21 AM PST
In reply to: I gotcha

Great value, a little bendy so not a good choice for students. The LCD is "acceptable" so be sure you can live with it.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Dell-Inspiron-17R-5720.82887.0.html shows it was an "editor's choice." Which is nice to see.

Again, my only concern is the owner. If it's a student the daily travel seems to wear down a 17 inch fast.
Bob

Collapse -
What do you mean a "little bendy"
by AWC2003 / December 17, 2012 4:31 AM PST

No I'm not a student or anything. For the most part it'll stay around the house and be used for iTunes, DVDs, games, and Internet browsing.

Collapse -
Go to the store and try it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 17, 2012 4:34 AM PST

The lid with the LCD and the entire machine isn't that stiff. It's not a problem for folk that park it on a desk but for students the bendiness does not help longevity.
Bob

Collapse -
How would it be for games?
by AWC2003 / December 17, 2012 4:38 AM PST

Game I'm looking at says I need at least a intel core 2 duo E4300 1.8 ghz and atleast a nvidia GeForce gt330 both are absolute minimums that I would need so how would this laptop do for games?

Collapse -
I thought it bet both of those specs?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 17, 2012 4:41 AM PST

I read a newer gt630 and a faster CPU. But gamers are never happy. My personal view is gamers are best left on desktop machines for the simple reasons we can pop very powerful video cards in and be leading edge for a lot less than a laptop.
Bob

Collapse -
It beats them both
by AWC2003 / December 17, 2012 5:07 AM PST

It does have better than what the minimum recommendation is but minimum to me means minimum you know? I don't wanna just squeak by if you know what I mean I wanna not have any lag or problems. I'm not gonna be a "hardcore" gammer or anything but what games I play I wanna enjoy. The dell has a 630 gpu idk how much better that is than a 330 that is recommended.

Collapse -
But you can research that question.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 17, 2012 5:15 AM PST
In reply to: It beats them both

If I want to compare 2 laptop GPUs and can't find benchmarks on the laptop I'm looking at I type in this.

notebookcheck gt330m
(same) gt630m

Then I try same but with tomshardware on google.
Bob

Collapse -
Good deal
by AWC2003 / December 17, 2012 5:25 AM PST

Thanks for all your help! I appreciate it!!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.