Computer Newbies

General discussion

help opening an .alb file

by virginiawatson / August 30, 2004 3:07 AM PDT

I use Win98SE and the only "picture" software I have is Print Shop (which I never use) and the Kodak program which comes with their CDs, and of course Paint. Obviously I don't do much with digital pictures. I received an .alb file and can't open it. I did some "googling" and it seems alb is tied to specific software programs and if I understand what I've read it looks as tho the files are also compressed. Is there any free program which will open these files? Do you know of any program with a trial period I can use to open the album? Thanks very much for whatever insight you can give me.
Virginia

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: help opening an .alb file
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: help opening an .alb file
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: an .alb file, Paint Shop album? How big?
by ChuckT / August 30, 2004 3:40 AM PDT

From what I can find, an ?.ALB? file is a JASC photo album. Not really an image file, but a catalog of images in the JASC Paint Shop format. But I also don?t have JASC Paint Shop, to be sure.

But I looked on their website. In the online examples there, they show about emailing some photos out of an album, and those images are .JPG format. So, my guess is that if .ALB was the JASC album format, why don?t they email an edited album instead of separating the contained JPGs?

How large, how many bytes, are these ALB files? If I am right, then the album would be relatively small compared to what you might expect images to be. I would typically expect images, of anything that would warrant Paint Shop software, to be in the 10?s to 100?s or even 1000?s of Kbytes. (I know, I know, there are plenty of really nice pictures under 10 Kbytes, but I?m just talking about generalities, and also my own opinion. If you want argue that, please let me read it in Speakeasy Happy ). And since this might be an "album" then it may be more than just one picture, and being so, should easily be in the 100's of Kbytes (again IMHO).

Anyway, that?s my guess, and I am looking forward to any further enlightenment, as to what those ALB files are.

Collapse -
Re: help opening an .alb file
by Kees Bakker / August 30, 2004 4:11 AM PDT

The obvious advice in cases like this is to contact the person you received it from and ask him/her to send a format you can display or point to a free reader for what they sent. I'm sure most people will find this a reasonable request. Alb certainly is exotic.

As you might know, jpg-files can be viewed with IE, but you might prefer to download the very nice and useful program irfanview from www.irfanview.com. It opens a LOT of picture formats (although the album) and is totally free. Recommended.

Kees

Collapse -
by virginiawatson / August 31, 2004 3:47 AM PDT

Thank you for your responses.
I did download IrfanView. It does not recognize .alb but I'm sure it is a useful program to have.

Collapse -
by ChuckT / August 31, 2004 5:01 AM PDT

I never said IrfanView will open an .ALB file, and I believe Kees just mistyped what he really meant when he wrote:
"It opens a LOT of picture formats (although the album)"

He missed a word there, what I'm sure he meant was:
"It opens a LOT of picture formats (although not the album)"

Anyway, if you read any of the IrfanView website, or looked in the list of file formats in the tool itself, you will not find .ALB there.

That is one of the reasons I believe that .ALB is not a graphic format, but just a "catalog."
Well, that PLUS the fact that XnView does not list .ALB either. XnView read over 400 graphic formats!

XnView is a much more powerful graphic viewer and manipulator. Still free, though. But being more powerful, it is also bigger, and more complex to use.

I still prefer IrfanView, for most of what I want to do.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Thanks for sorting out my error (and an error it was).
by Kees Bakker / August 31, 2004 5:56 AM PDT
Collapse -
by Lawrence / September 1, 2004 12:07 AM PDT

I believe the *.alb file you are referring to is a Canon Photo Record Album.

Your friend probably has a Canon digital camera and has created an album of photos with picture frames and other decorations he wants to share with you. Unfortunately, he thinks that you will get the album if he sends you the ALB file.

He may have read somewhere that Canon Photo Record allows Photo Albums to be sent, but this feature is available only in the Gold version and I believe he has the standard free version.

I have just tested out Canon Photo Record which came with my Canon IXUS 400 (also known as the Powershot S400) on a folder with 10 photos totalling 921kb. The alb file is only 12kb. It is basically a settings file, like the desktop.ini you find in C:\Windows. BTW, I don't use this program, I merely have it.

As Kees suggested, get your friend to send you the actual photos.

If he wants to dress up the photo as a greeting card, he should use one of the card making programs like Print Artist or Printshop both of which allow for creations to be emailed.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
by irishgirl / October 22, 2004 8:57 PM PDT

I too have an alb. file which I put together from something that was a free trial on my PC either when I bought it or with software. I sent the file to my sister who could not open it. I since have lost all my photos when my PC crashed. My sister had kept the file on her PC and sent it back to me when I lost the originals but now I can't open them. Any tips?

Collapse -
by Kees Bakker / October 23, 2004 4:59 AM PDT

Irishgirl,

As you can read in the excellent post by Thor2K you replied to, a alb-file is just something like a directory or a table of contents. It doesn't congain the actual pictures. That fully explains why your sister couldn't see the photographs, and why you can't see them either, because they disappeared from your system in the aftermath of the crash.

It should be general knowledge (but alas it isn't) that hard disks often crash and that you really need to 'backup' everything you don't want to lose in such an event to another medium like a cd-r(w) or a dvd-r(w)/+r(w). You've learned what happens if you don't.

In another forum there was a thread yesterday called 'I deleted part of my girlfriends thesis'. She had no backup either, apparently. This could have resulted in consequences even more serious than the incident with his wife Arnold Schwarzenegger told about this week, but - luckily, and quite unexpectedly I must say - the file could be recovered. Good for everyone, you'll agree.

Kees

Collapse -
by billzhills / October 23, 2004 4:17 AM PDT
Collapse -
by Wendee36 / November 27, 2004 1:31 PM PST

I have been following this thread, hoping that someone would be able to help me with the .alb extension as well.

I have been researching this extension for the past two days. I've downloaded about 10 programs (mostly Picture Album type programs) trying to get one of them to open my .alb file. Nothing has worked!

I know it's an album file. I've opened the file in a Hex editor and seen that there are 4 .jpg pictures within the file/album. Extracting these pics is the problem.

I'm in a Computer Forensic and Investigation class in school and this .alb file is in one of my labs.

I was positive it would open with a JASC program. Go to www.jasc.com and find the Paint Shop Pro download. From what I've researched the .alb file SHOULD open with that program. I'm downloading it now and it's 98mb.

I also tried opening it with Diji Album and Diji Viewer, to no avail. But that could just be that my file is corrupted or something. Others should try the Diji Album or Diji Viewer or Diji Editor, from what I've read it SHOULD open with those as well.

Collapse -
I opened an .alb file
by Ola789 / November 16, 2008 6:17 AM PST

I just opened an .alb file with Canon PhotoRecord Application. I didn't receive the file in the e-mail though, it was already in my computer. But I hope it'll still be helpful.

Collapse -
.alb
by mickeymouseGEEK / November 17, 2008 8:42 AM PST

I am pretty sure that .ALB can be a album. I am going to look it up ;).

Collapse -
What is and how do you open an .alb file?
by 094560 / September 1, 2009 1:56 AM PDT

What is and how do you open an .alb file?

Collapse -
(NT) Tried Reading All The Posts In This Thread Yet?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / September 1, 2009 6:52 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.