Car Tech

General discussion

Help on Mercedes Navigation

by oludir / October 26, 2007 4:44 PM PDT

Has anyone installed an after market navigation system on a Mercedes C Class?

I have a 2001 C320 without navigation but with the bose system. I want to install an after market navigation system since you cannot install a mercedes system retroactively. A single din system will be preferable and it will be great if it will not require modifying the din space. Any ideas?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help on Mercedes Navigation
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help on Mercedes Navigation
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
re: Help on Mercedes Navigation
by wcunning CNET staff / October 29, 2007 3:02 AM PDT

Hi, there aren't very many single DIN navigation systems available, and Mercedes-Benz isn't aftermarket-friendly. Have you considered a portable navigation unit?

Collapse -
I have one
by oludir / October 31, 2007 6:07 AM PDT

I just do not like putting it on and off all the time and the trailing wires. I like a clean dash.

Collapse -
Mercedes Navigation Systems are useless
by wheelsnkeels / December 26, 2007 7:59 AM PST

Even if you could retroactively install a unit it can only get you to the center of town or a handful of main roads. No direct addresses!!

I just upgraded to the 01-2007 data release from Navteq on my S class Mercedes Benz. It cannot find its way into town. On the other hand my Garmin portable with (Go figure) Navteq Data can find any address I ask. I travel a lot and the Garmin serves me well the Mercedes Navigation is more than a disappointment.

The Mercedes data disks cost more then the Garmin Street Pilot with the current data installed. Save your money the only good feature of the command system is the compass and you can get that on a Hyundai Sonata without Nav.

Imagine how cool you feel in your 80,000 ride when your Friend's watch you attach your Garmin to the windshield? Perhaps you need to leave the display on FM so they do not know you have Navigation installed.

Collapse -
COMAND navigation
by sodergren01 / January 1, 2008 6:30 AM PST

I just bought a 2003 Mercedes S500. It didn't come with any navigation CD's so I made the mistake of buying a cd set. What a waste of money!! The factory "navigation" system(and I use the term very loosely) is completely worthless. It is really aggravating to have to stick an aftermarket GPS on the windshield of a car like this, but that is the only way to have a functional GPS system in a Mercedes.

Collapse -
S500 Mercedes Navigation
by iww342 / January 20, 2008 4:58 AM PST
In reply to: COMAND navigation

I just bought a year 2000 Mercedes S500 with a built-in navigation system. The car came with an old, outdated 1999-2000 set of 11 navigation CDs. If you have the current (2007) set of navigation CDs, I'd be happy to buy them from you.

With the old set, I have had little trouble getting around, but there are fairly new roads and areas where the system is simply wrong and shows the car's location as being "off road".

Thanks.

Collapse -
S500 Mercedes navigation
by sodergren01 / January 20, 2008 6:44 AM PST

I'm no expert at this, but you may want to check and see exactly what COMAND system you have before spending any money on updates. As I understand it, the early 2000 S500's had a COMAND C system. During that model year, they switched to a COMAND D system. I don't think the CD's are interchangeable between the two systems. I believe that they have stopped issuing updated CD's for the COMAND C systems, but I don't know what the latest available update was. You may want to look around the forums at www.benzworld.com In any case, you are likely to be sorely disappointed by any update. These cars have to have the worst databases available anywhere in anything. It is an absolute disgrace for MBUSA to put this trash out.

Collapse -
Update Cd's worthless buy a Garmin for less and get there
by wheelsnkeels / January 20, 2008 9:37 AM PST

Save your money!! Go to Walmart and get a Garmin Street Pilot. They are cheaper then the Cd's from Mercedes and actually work! I made the mistake of buying the update from my Mercedes dealer for 275.00. The new Cd's issued in 2007 had almost no new info on them. Many main roads that have been documented by Navteq (map data provider) do not exist on the Mercedes maps. Also you cannot input an address destination in "Command" as you can in Garmin. The Navteq data used by Garmin is excellent. I know its embarrassing to have an expensive vehicle and a dash mounted system when you have an in dash system. Truth is you cannot really call the Mercedes system "Navigation".

I have a 2003 S430 with a Command "D" system its useless.

Collapse -
mercedes benz command navigation system for S500 year 2000
by devnavin / March 1, 2008 4:28 AM PST

Did you happen to find one? does any body have one to sell at a good price?

Collapse -
Nav Cd's
by mohammour / April 17, 2008 12:32 PM PDT

If you don't want your CD's, I would be happy to buy the Mid-Atlantic CD if you have it just reply and tell me how we should do it and how much.

Collapse -
Command C system for S500
by johannkeoni / April 26, 2008 2:02 PM PDT

We recently bought an 2000 S class.It doesn't have the nav cd. Are your cds the command c system? If yes, can I buy the hawaii cd?

Collapse -
Mercedes S500 Navigation
by johannkeoni / June 18, 2008 2:44 PM PDT

To: iww342

Can I buy the Oahu cd from your old outdated 1999-2000 cds? Our car did not come with any cd at all. We need the Command C type because our car was manufactured Sept28, 1999. Please?

Collapse -
MB's navigation System
by iww342 / January 27, 2008 7:15 AM PST
In reply to: COMAND navigation

I just purchased a 2000 MB S500 with 110,435 miles on it. The car looks and drives like it just came off the assembly line, no kidding. The navigation system take getting used to --- it is NOT intuitive. In my 2003 Cadillac STS (that I traded in for the MB), I depended upon my Garmin 660 to get me around strange areas. Frankly, I was able enter ALL my Garmin addresses into the MB navigation system without problem in spite of the fact that the 11-disc set that came with the car is 9-years outdated. In fact, I have had only one problem --- a new (2-year old new highway approach) roadway that is not in the old disc mapping. That roadway shows as "off road" in the MB navigation system. Other than that, I don't understand why there are individuals who say the MB navigation system "sucks". I honestly believe they don't know how to use the system. There is an updated (year 2007) set of navigation discs available (for 275 dollars), but I see no reason to pay that price. As explained to me by someone fron NavTech, the upgrades add less than a fraction of 1-percent change to previous road mappings. I am satisfied.

Collapse -
2000 Mercedes S500 Navigation
by iww342 / January 27, 2008 6:26 AM PST

I just purchased a 2000 MB S500 with 110,435 miles on it. The car looks and drives like it just came off the assembly line, no kidding. The navigation system take getting used to --- it is NOT intuitive. In my 2003 Cadillac STS (that I traded in for the MB), I depended upon my Garmin 660 to get me around strange areas. Frankly, I was able enter ALL my Garmin addresses into the MB navigation system without problem in spite of the fact that the 11-disc set that came with the car is 9-years outdated. In fact, I have had only one problem --- a new (2-year old new highway approach) roadway that is not in the old disc mapping. That roadway shows as "off road" in the MB navigation system. Other than that, I don't understand why there are individuals who say the MB navigation system "sucks". I honestly believe they don't know how to use the system. There is an updated (year 2007) set of navigation discs available (for 275 dollars), but I see no reason to pay that price. As explained to me by someone fron NavTech, the upgrades add less than a fraction of 1-percent change to previous road mappings. I am satisfied.

Collapse -
Mercedes "navigation" and I use the term loosely
by sodergren01 / January 27, 2008 8:59 AM PST

"Other than that, I don't understand why there are individuals who say the MB navigation system "sucks". I honestly believe they don't know how to use the system."

Ok, I fly Airbus A320's and operate a 48 foot motor yacht throughout the Southeast and the Bahamas on a regular basis, I don't know how to use a GPS. Right!

I don't know where you live, but where I live there is nothing on the Mercedes database. Less than 5% of the roads are included. Even when I try to put in an address in suburban Atlanta, it has no clue that the road exists let alone the address. I know for a fact that roads that have been there since roads have existed are not in the Mercedes database.

Sorry if I get a little excited, but I have been flying for 40 years and operating large boats for 24 years and I can figure out navigation systems (if they are capable of navigation, which Mercedes is not). Trust me, Mercedes databases are a total rip off. An inadequate Mercedes Navteq database for $275 when I can buy a complete navteq database of the US and Canada for my Lowrance for $74.95 and it actually has all the roads. AARRRGGGHHH!!!!!

I've had eight Mercedes and still have two (three until about a hour ago). I wasn't anti Mercedes until I bought the latest one with this piece of crap "navigation" system.

They are buying the cheapest Navteq database that Navteq sells and selling it for 4 times the price of a good Navteq database.

Collapse -
Re: Mercedes "navigation"
by iww342 / January 27, 2008 9:28 PM PST

I did not intend to offend you or anyone with my statement "I honestly believe they don't know how to use the system." If, as you state, "Less than 5% of the roads are included", that is, indeed, a tremendous oversight. I assume that since every auto navigation and portable GPS unit get their mapping data from the exact same source --- NavTech --- that these data are usually comparable in all navigation/GPS systems.

Returning to my personal experience using only the Mid-Atlantic and Central Midwest discs, I was able to successfully enter and utilize my MB navigation to map sites in Northern Delaware, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Virginia, and my home city of Chicago. Your experience and mine are at opposite ends of the spectrum.

Thanks.

Collapse -
Re: Mercedes "navigation"
by sodergren01 / January 27, 2008 9:51 PM PST

Those are perfectly logical assumptions. I made the same assumptions before I turned this "navigation" system on. The problem is that Navteq seems to have databases designed to different price points. Lowrance buys the $50 database and resells it for $75. Mercedes buys the $10 database and resells it for $275. My 5% comment comes from the fact that we probably have around 50-100 named streets and roads in our town (haven't counted them) and this database includes exactly three, the three numbered state highways. That's it! Of those three, there are two mapped intersections. One of them is off by at least a half mile and the street is drawn with turns that it doesn't have and never did have. Sorry to take offense. I am just mad as h-ll at Mercedes for this. I sent them an email and they came back with telling me the the system is not intended to replace paper maps or to provide turn by turn directions, it is simple to be used as an aid to navigation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Collapse -
Mercedes Benz's So Called "Navigation" System.
by waltoninn / March 25, 2008 7:40 AM PDT

sordergren01,
I agree with you. Not only does the MB "navigation" "system" has a poor database pool, but the actual software is either corrupted or it has been written by an incompetent. My system plots triangularly coordinated routes. And it provides false parameter notices after calculating a route, like stating "The Route Consists of Toll Road", when I have ticked the "AVOID TOLLWAYS" box. When I have pointed this out to two MB dealers, there response is that nothing is wrong. They say, in effect: "It works, doesn't it". Well, no, in fact, it does not work correctly. That word "correctly" is so important. I am starting to wonder whether it was a good idea to have bought a Mercedes Benz. My suggestion to you, and that which has been suggested to me by another person, is for you to talk to your Service Manager. If nothing happens to correct it, ask for the number of the Mercedes Benz USA Regional Representative (RR). If they still won't remedy it, or provide the RR number, call MBUSA.

Collapse -
There's more than one source, Wobbly.
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / May 16, 2008 7:57 AM PDT

Furthermore, the extent of coverage varies from one manufacturer to the next. -- Dave K.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.